James & The Sahara Build Thread

What is that stand alone harness an option for? I think I have it on my jeep.
What James said is right I'm just gonna add a tad more detail. Rubicon's with the mirror map lights temp and compass used basically a Chrysler made gentex model I belive, and sometimes sports and saharas had them as well. I belive it wasn't actually a gentex that was used though and it only fits a certain select few models of gentex. I think the gentex 77 fits the factory wiring harness.

Reactions: JamesAndTheSahara
What James said is right I'm just gonna add a tad more detail. Rubicon's with the mirror map lights temp and compass used basically a Chrysler made gentex model I belive, and sometimes sports and saharas had them as well. I belive it wasn't actually a gentex that was used though and it only fits a certain select few models of gentex. I think the gentex 77 fits the factory wiring harness.
I checked today and I did not have one. Thats ok though I was planning on doing all the wiring.

It is time for another big update!

Sourced my rear axle today! A mint dana 44 TJ axle with 40k miles on it. Everything turned beautifully, looked good, and checked out. The gears are in great shape, just need to take time to figure out the gear ratio (I thought it was written on the tag). Going to try to install the axle asap and then regear/lockers after. More to come!

Also, yes I did pick it up in my TJ. Fit just fine without the rear seat in ;).
IMG_5835.JPG
IMG_5838.JPG
IMG_5844.JPG
IMG_5853.JPG
IMG_5849.JPG

Take some brake cleaner and really spray the differential out. On the ring gear should be some numbers stamped into it (the smooth part). Those numbers should indiacte ring gear teeth and pinion teeth or simply the ratio of the two. Example: "4.10"
IMG_6869.JPG

Congrats on a great find! I really want to say The Off Road Connection does gear installs for $500 IIRC

Just FYI.

Hope you get it in without issue. Best of luck!
I appreciate it, gonna be putting it in thursday before the hurricane rain comes. We don't get it bad but want my back window in ;).

bet that was a fun drive home, lol! Nice score!
It was! Taking it to class with me tomorrow! ;)

It is time for another big update!

Sourced my rear axle today! A mint dana 44 TJ axle with 40k miles on it. Everything turned beautifully, looked good, and checked out. The gears are in great shape, just need to take time to figure out the gear ratio (I thought it was written on the tag). Going to try to install the axle asap and then regear/lockers after. More to come!

Also, yes I did pick it up in my TJ. Fit just fine without the rear seat in ;).
View attachment 21721 View attachment 21722 View attachment 21723 View attachment 21725 View attachment 21724

Okay- serious question. I have been considering cleaning my diffs and replacing the fluid myself, but I read it is the most horrific smell imaginable. I see you now have some experience with this- what do you think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Okay- serious question. I have been considering cleaning my diffs and replacing the fluid myself, but I read it is the most horrific smell imaginable. I see you now have some experience with this- what do you think?

I have never heard it and didn't smell anything doing this. I guess I'm noseblind to this kind of stuff... I wouldn't say its too bad but I'm about to reload the Dana 44 possibly tomorrow so I'll get a good whiff and let ya know. Researching stuff I don't know like can I swap brake lines over without bleeding fluids ect. :)

Diff fluid definitely can have a strong smell. Best way I can think to describe it is, bitter smelling. But it isn't so bad that I had to stop working.

Reactions: JamesAndTheSahara
So if I swap this axle tomorrow anyone have an idea on if I just remove the brakes/brakelines and swap em over without releasing the fluid? Thats the only part im unsure of at this point. Need to know if I need brake fluid

That axle looks like it has discs on it...don't you have drums? Is everything just bolted on to some sort of backing plate? If it were disc to disc, I'd say yes, you can do it without breaking the lines open. If you are moving your drums over, I think you'll have to pull the wheel cylinders and open the lines.

That axle looks like it has discs on it...don't you have drums? Is everything just bolted on to some sort of backing plate? If it were disc to disc, I'd say yes, you can do it without breaking the lines open. If you are moving your drums over, I think you'll have to pull the wheel cylinders and open the lines.
Its a drum dana 44, I will be moving stock components over :).