James & The Sahara Build Thread

Boy, I'd have never guessed that axle had drums. Those ears sure look like caliper mounting brackets.

upload_2017-9-8_8-23-46.png

Yeah, those shoes are the parking brake shoes. You are all set for disc brakes! buy some calipers and discs. IIRC, aftermarket calipers are about 35 each, and discs were about 40 each. Parking brake shoes are in that ball park to.

Stu-Offroad has a nice write-up on the switch. You might have to buy some lines, a parking brake cable, and do something to the proportioning valve but the hard part is done. In order to switch to drums, you'll have to pull your axles to get the backing plates on.

Yeah, those shoes are the parking brake shoes. You are all set for disc brakes! buy some calipers and discs.

Stu-Offroad has a nice write-up on the switch. You might have to buy some lines and do something to the proportioning valve.
Yeah ahahaha next weekend it is. Time to give the man a call:
IMG_5861.jpg

Congrats on a great find! I really want to say The Off Road Connection does gear installs for $500 IIRC

Just FYI.

Hope you get it in without issue. Best of luck!
Contacted offroad connection today, for just the master install kit/gears/carriers/bearings/seals is a total of $2005.00 (Just got the quote for the regear no locker). This is using Yukon parts.

Shops like Motobilt and UCF regear for $1600.00 including carrier replacement but bearings/seals are additional if they need to be serviced. Funds are getting low so trying to get the locker priced out sucks because I only have cash for the re-gear. If you just do gears its $1400.00 if you have proper carriers.

If all bearings and seals were replaced, $1800-$2000 is an accurate quote for just gears and carriers with all bearings/seals replaced.

Here are the exact quotes from motobilt, everyone else contacted gave verbal quotes:
IMG_5863.jpg
IMG_5864.jpg

Reactions: Fouledplugs
Did you happen to look to see if that Dana 44 had Traclok? Could be an extra word score bonus!

Reactions: JMT
Wish I had someone local that has a true detroit. Interested to see how bad the street manners are. Like the set it and forget it mentality.
None of the local Jeep Club guys running a Detroit? It's not like we see a lot of snow down here but you know how icy it can get when winter weather does hit. It would be good to drive one first and see what you will be getting.

Reactions: JamesAndTheSahara
None of the local Jeep Club guys running a Detroit? It's not like we see a lot of snow down here but you know how icy it can get when winter weather does hit. It would be good to drive one first and see what you will be getting.
Someone has a Yukon Grizzily which is "the same thing" according to him. Gonna go for a ride with him sunday.

Its no big brake kit but I'm sure as heck its going to be better than my factory rotors :D
Screen Shot 2017-09-08 at 12.31.25 PM.png

I do have full intentions of going with a big brake in the future, but for now I should be more than fine.

Okay- serious question. I have been considering cleaning my diffs and replacing the fluid myself, but I read it is the most horrific smell imaginable. I see you now have some experience with this- what do you think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think it smells absolutely horrible. Worst oil smell I've ever smelled. My fiancée won't even come into the garage now since I spilled it. Still smells weeks later haha. It does smell bad but it wasn't bad enough that I would have a problem doing it again. Definitely worth doing it!