James & The Sahara Build Thread

The 44 TL clutches were all steel when I was doing them. Not to say things haven't changed in 2+ decades, however. Depending on how hard you use your Jeep, they can last 50k + miles. To add some "aggressiveness" to the TL, leave out the friction modifier. You may get some light "popping" during tight turns, however.

Reactions: JamesAndTheSahara
My ideal setup that wouldn't break the bank, and for the type of wheeling I do would be stick with my Dana 44 rear, keep the TL, add chromo shafts, then pick up a HP30 for the front, chromos, and a E-locker, done.

Reactions: JamesAndTheSahara
My ideal setup that wouldn't break the bank, and for the type of wheeling I do would be stick with my Dana 44 rear, keep the TL, add chromo shafts, then pick up a HP30 for the front, chromos, and a E-locker, done.
I've got the hp30 sourced and will be getting that later this week, only issue is my funds are starting to run low and don't think I can run stock lower control arms with the hp30 (no caster adjustment).

I've got the hp30 sourced and will be getting that later this week, only issue is my funds are starting to run low and don't think I can run stock lower control arms with the hp30 (no caster adjustment).
So if it was possible for me to reuse the 3.73 gearing I could afford all new control arms and reuse the stock components in the hp30 and Dana 44.

Reactions: Chris
Sorry, 33x10.5x15

I pretty much ran this setup for over a year before re-gearing to 4.56's. Only difference is my trany is a NV3550. It wasn't horrible. You could live with it till funds recoop. Just pretend that you only have a 4 speed, and you feel like you are taking off from stop signs in 2nd gear. Your clutch may suffer a bit, but it'll be ok.

I pretty much ran this setup for over a year before re-gearing to 4.56's. Only difference is my trany is a NV3550. It wasn't horrible. You could live with it till funds recoop. Just pretend that you only have a 4 speed, and you feel like you are taking off from stop signs in 2nd gear. Your clutch may suffer a bit, but it'll be ok.
So I could feasibly buy DA control arms and run stocks gears on the axles? The gears are shot in the Dana 30 I found but I should be able to source 3.73 from another xj pretty easily. I guess the more important thing is I need to make sure the 3.73 gearing currently in the Dana 44 is perfect and ready to go so I don't have any serious issues. It spins nicely but really need another opinion.

The HP Dana 30 I found and am looking at next weekend is just the housing/tubes for $50.00 they pull. This will work with my current Dana 30 shafts/unit bearings and the only issue he said is the pinion is shot (I guess he is talking about the seal). With everything out of the Dana 30 it should be easy to determine if the tubes are bent or not just by looking down the tubes.

The HP Dana 30 I found and am looking at next weekend is just the housing/tubes for $50.00 they pull. This will work with my current Dana 30 shafts/unit bearings and the only issue he said is the pinion is shot (I guess he is talking about the seal). With everything out of the Dana 30 it should be easy to determine if the tubes are bent or not just by looking down the tubes.

I'm a bit confused. You'll need the HP ring/pinion and carrier. Your LP30 guts won't interchange. Your axle shafts might.

Ok, how about this, stow the HP30 for a while and throw some 3.73's in your LP30. I'll give you my old ring/pinion. Might need a new carrier though. Don't remember where the break is. Could be counter productive though since you would still need to have it setup and a install kit, so doh! crap shoot either way.

Ok, how about this, stow the HP30 for a while and throw some 3.73's in your LP30. I'll give you my old ring/pinion. Might need a new carrier though. Don't remember where the break is. Could be counter productive though since you would still need to have it setup and a install kit, so doh! crap shoot either way.
It really feels like it lol, the carrier break is after that. Grrr. There's nothing wrong with the Dana 30 but I'd rather swap the hp30 as it keeps the driveshaft out of the rocks. I don't know if it'd be smart or crazy to just swap both axles and leave the front empty until i regear. If I can use stock control arms and get quality tire wear I could get the regear done at the end of the month.

It really feels like it lol, the carrier break is after that. Grrr. There's nothing wrong with the Dana 30 but I'd rather swap the hp30 as it keeps the driveshaft out of the rocks. I don't know if it'd be smart or crazy to just swap both axles and leave the front empty until i regear. If I can use stock control arms and get quality tire wear I could get the regear done at the end of the month.
Plus the hp30 costs nothing for the housing lol.

Shame you can't find some used HP30 guts in 3.73. That could simply things a bit.
I went to several local junkyards and most of the front ends were beat up on the XJ's. The only luck I'm having is finding a part out of an XJ on facebook/CL. Regardless next week I am taking the Dana 35 off the TJ and putting the Dana 44 on. Hopefully I'll get the brakes by the time the axle is all the way on, just need to find a peer locally who can help me do the brake lines & I'm set. Found out yesterday I needed a set of ebrake cables for the Dana 44 and read on this forum the Drum to Disc Dana 44 Conversion from BMB doesn't include the cables so dropped another $90.00 on some e-brake cables. Hoping everything will show up soon enough :)

In the next post I'm going to lay out my current list of stuff I'm getting done so organize this crazy thread lol.

Reactions: bobthetj03