James & The Sahara Build Thread

Also, are you going to sell your LP30 to recoop some cost? Just wondering if it would be worth the effort to buy an open carrier for 3.73's, swap in a ring/pinion, a new pinion seal, and have someone set it up, hoping your carrier and pinion bearing are in good shape so you aren't paying for an install kit, then that way your LP30 would be more attractive to sell, and would buy you some time. I've been wheeling for years with a LSD rear and open front. Adds to the challenge! Just thinking out loud here.

Reactions: JamesAndTheSahara
So, are you going to run without a front drive shaft until you sort out the front?
Absolutely yes haha.
Also, are you going to sell your LP30 to recoop some cost? Just wondering if it would be worth the effort to buy an open carrier for 3.73's, swap in a ring/pinion, a new pinion seal, and have someone set it up, hoping your carrier and pinion bearing are in good shape so you aren't paying for an install kit, then that way your LP30 would be more attractive to sell, and would buy you some time. I've been wheeling for years with a LSD rear and open front. Adds to the challenge! Just thinking out loud here.
I will be selling both the Dana 35 and Dana 30 to recoup some cost. The Dana 35 will be complete with brakes, the Dana 30 will be stripped some at this rate depending on what I can keep or reuse from the HP30 purchase. Definitely ok with adding to the challenge, I like to physically see progress with mods haha. Just wanting enough recouped from selling those two axles to be able to buy another exhaust manifold/header & fix that ticking noise.

Ok to clarify guys I am currently undertaking projects 1-1000 in the next 7 days. Here is what is going on lol:

Current Projects:
  • Currently routing the wiring for the Gentex Mirror, it looks great. Wiring is to the switched 3A line in the glovebox.
  • I removed the old TJ mirror and the metal wedge came with it, had to re-glue that yesterday and it looks like it set nicely.
  • Currently working on wiring both dash cams hardwired into the switched 3A line in the glovebox (3 devices will be running off the switched line).
  • I am running the power wires for my CB straight from the battery. Here is the list of CB equipment I have received - (Uniden 510, Firestik 3ft, Wilson 18ft Antenna Cable, Firestik Stud, SWR Meter & Jumper, Uniden External Speaker & Rugged Ridge overhead CB Mount (The only one I really liked). I am currently waiting to receive the Arizona Rocky Road Antenna Mount I bought.
  • I received the stereo from 1FactoryRadio and it sounds great, however the cassette function broke asap, so I contacted them & they are currently making it right.
  • Working on hardwiring my new Sirius XM unit, I tried many mounting places and still haven't found one I truly like.
  • With all the wiring above I am really trying to keep the loom nice and neat so I am having to carefully choose location so I don't have to re-do it at a later point.
  • Loving the half doors, he gave me a box of old tj stuff with it so this is what I scored with my $200.00 half door purchase the other day: One set of Raptor Lined Half doors (Literally lined everything), 2 full sets of black uppers with frames, a smittybuilt TJ Rollcage netting, & a Bestop Bikini Top.
  • I have been working hard on removing the raptor lining from the interior door panels, it sucks just using a plastic scrapper and heat, the door panels cut my leg so they definitely can't stay bedlined lol, may keep the exterior black though for now.
  • I have the Dana 44 ready to go under the TJ, will be untaking the project in my apartments parking lot.
  • Currently waiting to receive Teraflex E-Brake Cables.
  • Currently waiting to receive BMB Dana 44 Drum to Disc Conversion kit & Dana 30 Rotors/Pads (I should be able to use these for the HP30 if I go that way as the unit bearing change was in 99).
  • I will be finally installing the Metalcloak Rear Trackbar W/ Relocation bracket with the new axle going up.
  • I have a Dana 30 HP I am looking at in a couple days, its completely gutted. Considering running it in the TJ and just disconnecting the front driveshaft until I source some used gears.
Side Notes:
  • Currently trying to decide if I should buy a full set of Savvy DA Control Arms or re-gear. I can only afford one last big purchase for 2017 so it is definitely a one or the other kind of thing.
  • If I re-gear I don't know if I will be able to use the stock control arms for the HP30, losing the caster adjustment.
  • If someone could help me determine how to see if the 3.73's could stand up to regular daily driving that are currently in the Dana 44 I would greatly appreciate it :). Just trying to make sure they don't grenade after 3k miles.

So, honestly, my buddy has a 99 with 33 x 12.5 tires, ax-15, and 3.73 gears. He's around 210,000 on the original engine. It's not terrible to drive. Sure you downshift a bit, but it is livable.

On the other hand, how much clearance does the HP Dana 30 get you?

Glad you are happy with 1Factory Radio. They did mine, and it works great, no regrets. On the XM radio, I have the Onyx, and mounted it on the drivers side dash top, between the pillar post and the instruments. Gave up on the window cup mounts, and bought a short adjustable with a circular base, that sticks right to the dash-top. I've seen a lot of cb's mounted there, so not sure if this helps or not.

Ray

So, honestly, my buddy has a 99 with 33 x 12.5 tires, ax-15, and 3.73 gears. He's around 210,000 on the original engine. It's not terrible to drive. Sure you downshift a bit, but it is livable.

On the other hand, how much clearance does the HP Dana 30 get you?
Several inches with the benefit of a less severe driveshaft angle.
Glad you are happy with 1Factory Radio. They did mine, and it works great, no regrets. On the XM radio, I have the Onyx, and mounted it on the drivers side dash top, between the pillar post and the instruments. Gave up on the window cup mounts, and bought a short adjustable with a circular base, that sticks right to the dash-top. I've seen a lot of cb's mounted there, so not sure if this helps or not.

Ray
I appreciate that! I have the same one and will be considering that location now lol.

Reactions: Fouledplugs
Several inches with the benefit of a less severe driveshaft angle.

I appreciate that! I have the same one and will be considering that location now lol.

Here are a few pics. I bought the mount from either Satellite Super Store, or the Sirius site. Have one in my truck also, holds up great, even in triple digit heat.
Ray

20170912_094615.jpg 20170912_094609.jpg

Here are a few pics. I bought the mount from either Satellite Super Store, or the Sirius site. Have one in my truck also, holds up great, even in triple digit heat.
Ray

View attachment 21990 View attachment 21989
Thats a great mounting location! I got my satellite radio used so mine didn't come with a mount like that, just the vent mount. I did manage to find a location for it today though! Right above my newly mounted CB :).

Small update, I spent nearly all day gluing, cleaning, and regluing the dang metal button for rear view mirror. I did everything right 48 hours ago and let it sit that long and it fell right off (Permatex brand). Tried several different methods for cleaning and prep and still couldn't get it to stick. Nearly $10.00 into glue already I called a local window repair shop and they quoted me $5.00 to glue a button and another $1.00 if I need a new one. Needless to say I have an 8am appointment with them tomorrow before class.

A note on the gentex mirror install: If you plan on mounting a CB, like how the overhead rugged ridge cb mount works, you will need to move the mirror's metal button. The gentex's stem needs to be strategically placed to allow for overhead room for the cb and still have proper placement for rear view vision.

Thats a great mounting location! I got my satellite radio used so mine didn't come with a mount like that, just the vent mount. I did manage to find a location for it today though! Right above my newly mounted CB :).

Good, the little radio is great, rarely do I get interruptions going between Colorado and California.
The mounts were only about 10 or 12 dollars, maybe less. I once got a mount for 6 dollars. I just like the firm and sturdy aspect of the adhesive mounts.

I took it to a local glass repair shop and they had the mirror mounted completely ready to drive away in 5 minutes. Really nice people there and glad I don't have to fight really stupid stuff, when I get a chance tomorrow I'll get some photos of getting everything wired up.

On another note I purchased a set of currie lower control arm skids. I figured since my axles will be off my jeep before I put them on I might as well box em off now instead of later.

I am also trying to find an hp30 with 3.73 gearing thats good to go so I can keep gears stock a little longer. Kind of want to get both axles installed and use DA control arms and run 3.73, so I can regear and lock one of them at the same time. Still trying to figure out if my rear gears are any good and usable.

Mini Update: My buddie pulled through, checking out a Dana 30HP axle tomorrow with 3.73 gearing, no shafts or brakes included from a 96 XJ (My search range was 95-98). I'll look at the gears and make sure they have no chunks but I should be good to go from here. I believe my brakes and shafts should swap right over :D.

Yessir it sure was hard finding a tow package xj lol. With it having 3.73s my tj's Dana 30 axle shafts should swap right over correct? I know the 3.73's have a different carrier. Hoping I don't need to buy new axle shafts right off the bat.

I want to say yes, but I haven't researched it enough to know for sure. Maybe shoot that question to one of the gear vendors or Allen@AOR and they can confirm.