James & The Sahara Build Thread

Sounds good!

Forgive me if this is the definition of a "Should know" kinda question but I need to order front and rear bump stops as well so I don't destroy my Sahara flares right? I have the Currie Front and Rear Bump Stops on my Excel spreadsheet right now and 99% sure I need them.

You will definitely need them if you go to 33's. I used hockey pucks for mine and drilled/tapped out the lower perch pads to bolt them on. Technically, I have 2 3/4" of lift since I added some coil spacers for a little more clearance, but with that lift, you'll need 2" of added bumpstop in the front, and 1.5" in the rear. Since yours is a Sahara, you may have the wider Rubi flares, so that will help some with clearance.

Reactions: JamesAndTheSahara
You will definitely need them if you go to 33's. I used hockey pucks for mine and drilled/tapped out the lower perch pads to bolt them on. Technically, I have 2 3/4" of lift since I added some coil spacers for a little more clearance, but with that lift, you'll need 2" of added bumpstop in the front, and 1.5" in the rear. Since yours is a Sahara, you may have the wider Rubi flares, so that will help some with clearance.

I appreciate all of the feedback from you and Chris! Really makes this easy and less of an entrance to an unknown black void lol.

Reactions: bobthetj03
Trust me, I've made the mistakes, and learned the hard way more times than I care to admit. That's the cool thing about these forums, especially this one. Lots of great jeep folks willing to help out. Chris and Jerry are a wealth of jeep knowledge here, and aren't afraid to step in with great advise.

I used daystar bump stops. They are pretty long but you can trim them down to the ideal height you want. Only $20 a pair too. I haven't had one issue with them coming out either.
Hmm. I'll have to check them out. Have been eyeing the adjustable metalcloak 1-4" ones, since its quite a nice system and will allow for adjustability later one. Currently have all of the funds i need for my lift/track bars/body lift/mml/bump stops (roughly $1500.00). Just need the funds for tires! Gonna be ordering all suspension related components on July 4 to grab some of those free shipping offers lol.

Reactions: Jeepersteve71
Co-worker of mine recently installed a Cloak lift on his Rubi. I saw the bump stop kits that MC provided and they are just hockey pucks that MC pre drilled and added different length bolts. You still have to drill and tap threads in the lower spring perch pads. Save yourself some dough and just grab some hockey pucks from Kmart/Walmart/Target whatever and some bolts from the hardware store.
20150802_141017.jpg

Co-worker of mine recently installed a Cloak lift on his Rubi. I saw the bump stop kits that MC provided and they are just hockey pucks that MC pre drilled and added different length bolts. You still have to drill and tap threads in the lower spring perch pads. Save yourself some dough and just grab some hockey pucks from Kmart/Walmart/Target whatever and some bolts from the hardware store.
View attachment 17439

You just saved me hahaha. Thank you for clarifying, sadly down here in Alabama I will need to order the hockey pucks online from amazon. Was there a specific thread tap I should use?

You just saved me hahaha. Thank you for clarifying, sadly down here in Alabama I will need to order the hockey pucks online from amazon. Was there a specific thread tap I should use?

5/16 USS thread worked fine for me. You'll need a 5/16" tap, a 17/64" drill bit, and a drill bit slightly larger than 5/16" to drill holes in the hockey pucks. You shouldn't need more than 2 pucks per spring, so 8 in total, probably only one puck per side for the rear. All depends on what tire size you'll be going with.

5/16 USS thread worked fine for me. You'll need a 5/16" tap, a 17/64" drill bit, and a drill bit slightly larger than 5/16" to drill holes in the hockey pucks. You shouldn't need more than 2 pucks per spring, so 8 in total, probably only one puck per side for the rear. All depends on what tire size you'll be going with.
Thank you for clarifying. Tire size 33x10.5x15. Was planning on getting hockey pucks for the rear tire carrier anyways to snub the 33s.

Build looks great so far. I love the seats and seat covers. I feel you on the budget I go to JMU, and I pretty much save up for the jeep haha. Makes the gf mad sometimes, but the jeeps my baby. Looking forward to GWNF trails next year. So I'm trying to get her trail ready. Can't wait to see what you do next.

Build looks great so far. I love the seats and seat covers. I feel you on the budget I go to JMU, and I pretty much save up for the jeep haha. Makes the gf mad sometimes, but the jeeps my baby. Looking forward to GWNF trails next year. So I'm trying to get her trail ready. Can't wait to see what you do next.
Thank you! I have all the funds now for lift/tires but currently in the process of moving. Patiently waiting for july 4th to order all my parts..

Reactions: JMT
Here's an update!

Today I ordered my tires - 5* 33x10.5x15 Toyo MT's (Really wanted to give them a go since I have already ran KO1s and loved them). Man these things were pricey buying them through Firestone.

Yesterday I called up 4WheelParts and ordered another American Racing rim, it wasn't until I got paranoid and measured each one after laying them all flat and noticing a small varation in width in one - yep, one of them was a 15x8 instead of a 15x7 which was presumably used as a spare. I figured I might as well have a complete matching set and ordered another AR23 15x7 rim for $90. It came in the next day, and since it is new that will be my spare. On a side note anyone need an extra 15x8 AR23?;)

As soon as metalcloak annoucing their free shipping sale this weekend or on the fourth I will be purchasing all of the suspension components. I have been reading plenty of writeups and pretty comfortable with the installation of the coils/shocks/body lift/mml, just a little weary of proper bumpstopping. Gonna need to read more on it I guess. More to come hopefully this next week!

Reactions: Zackz1997
Here's an update!

Today I ordered my tires - 5* 33x10.5x15 Toyo MT's (Really wanted to give them a go since I have already ran KO1s and loved them). Man these things were pricey buying them through Firestone.

Yesterday I called up 4WheelParts and ordered another American Racing rim, it wasn't until I got paranoid and measured each one after laying them all flat and noticing a small varation in width in one - yep, one of them was a 15x8 instead of a 15x7 which was presumably used as a spare. I figured I might as well have a complete matching set and ordered another AR23 15x7 rim for $90. It came in the next day, and since it is new that will be my spare. On a side note anyone need an extra 15x8 AR23?;)

As soon as metalcloak annoucing their free shipping sale this weekend or on the fourth I will be purchasing all of the suspension components. I have been reading plenty of writeups and pretty comfortable with the installation of the coils/shocks/body lift/mml, just a little weary of proper bumpstopping. Gonna need to read more on it I guess. More to come hopefully this next week!

The bump stops will be pretty straight forward. When you install the lift you'll be removing the shocks and the coils. Install one of your new wheel/tires, put the front axle to full bump, find out at what point your tires hit, and bump to fix. I can go into more detail if you need it.

The bump stops will be pretty straight forward. When you install the lift you'll be removing the shocks and the coils. Install one of your new wheel/tires, put the front axle to full bump, find out at what point your tires hit, and bump to fix. I can go into more detail if you need it.
Thank you Bob, hopefully what you have provided me and what Chris has in the FAQ will be something I can handle. Its hard to visualize it never doing it before.

I'm planning on going the MC route myself. Saving the money for it along with everything else I want done at same time.... So, it'll be awhile. Looking forward to see how it turns out for you.
I will be doing OME/Savvy for just about everything except for the Trackbars. Everyone I have spoke with that runs them have really liked them, and at the time of doing this whole process I can't justify another $400.00 for the Currie trackbars. I've wanted to give MC a chance suspension wise to determine for myself how I like them. My Adj Control arms will be savvy and purchased in the coming months.

Thank you Bob, hopefully what you have provided me and what Chris has in the FAQ will be something I can handle. Its hard to visualize it never doing it before.

It will make more sense once you get under there and get busy. I can post a few pics tomorrow to possibly clarify things a bit, but I think you got this.