James & The Sahara Build Thread

Well piecing together some small things as it looks like the armor will be here Friday! Ordered a No. 4 screwdriver, some sharkhide metal protectant, centering punch, and some paint supplies.

Still need to get some quality drill bits and a drill (really sad I don’t have a drill at this point in Jeep career).

I don’t have an ideal paint setup, but I need to start prepping my tire carrier. I’ll update you guys accordingly!

Well knocked out some stuff today!

Prepping for the armor thats coming quicker than expected. Going to remove the flares and possibly the tailgate tomorrow in prep for friday.

Sanded & cleaned:

808E5844-84B1-4825-A0CD-024840D26607.jpeg

Prepping the college level paint booth:

E8C530BF-0764-426A-90D3-E2BE10780066.jpeg

All pieces primed:

0B700C7A-1DE6-41F8-AB6D-36294ACD9D5D.jpeg

Second coat of paint:

A5E87158-9B6E-407E-8B44-126009B121D3.jpeg

Final coat of paint, very impressed with the quality of this spray paint:

C6A66746-A92C-4F45-BDC2-AC011DD52A15.jpeg

As you can see I have to do one side at a time, so the back primered side will be taken out tomorrow.

I had a moment in the day so I wanted to take a step back and clarify on the build thread whats going on with the shock conundrum. Basically my shocks I purchased in my lift kit are too long for my 3” coils. After finally getting in contact with Gerald, he reccomended I purchase the 4” coils and sell the 3” coils locally. He said I could gain a bit more uptravel keeping the 3” springs and using spring spacers, although this isn’t the solution I’m after.

At this point I needed to do some thinking because my build desprately needs direction so I’m not buying things twice (Like $600.00 fox shocks, or $350.00 springs). Here is where my build is heading in the next couple months:
  • I will be taking the rig to 35’s, ideally with a specific set of rims. This may play out within the next two weeks, although its a full 18 hour roundtrip drive (I wouldn’t be doing this so soon had the perfect deal not popped up and shock situation played out for this advantage to where the SHOCKS are still limiting 35” tires on 3” coils).
  • I want to keep the 3” coils, I like the ride height, although the height will slightly increase with larger tires.
What does 35’s mean for my current setup?
  • Using my peers 35’s, with the amount of bumpstop I have, I can easily run 35’s on my current shocks. I will run this non-ideal although working solution until I can properly source out a fabricator (Thanks @Fouledplugs for the headups about one locally). I will probably outboard my shocks at the time of the TT (No worries, this stuff is officially a year away budget wise).
Yes this is a roller coaster, and she is going to slam on her brakes pretty soon (thank goodness, my wallet needs to recover).

Being quite frank, I’m not thrilled about my original lift kit purchase. When I purchased it, I intended to have it for life. I can reccomend the springs, although for shocks I wish I did my homework and bought the proper length for my rig - versus a generic kit. I don’t consider buying another set of coils a solution to my situation, but I digress I will work with what I have (stock uptravel is still stock, so I’m not bitching here).

Nearly forgot, before knocking out the shocks, I will more than likely track out a highline kit (Again 1 year away). I’ve been watching the forums for quite some time and haven’t found the right one. That is how I plan to run my rig:
  • 35’s on 3” coils, 1.25 BL, Highlined fenders, as close to 50/50 travel as I can get with outboared shocks.
I will update you guys later today on finishing up the paint and knocking out some prep for the armor. Should be getting it installed starting on Friday!

Don't you hate buying things twice? I've been through that many times, and I try to learn from my mistakes.

Sounds like you're getting serious though if you're taking it to 35" tires! Are you going to daily it like that?

Nice tire carrier by the way... If I was going to run a huge spare, that's the one I would want.

Reactions: JamesAndTheSahara
Don't you hate buying things twice? I've been through that many times, and I try to learn from my mistakes.

Sounds like you're getting serious though if you're taking it to 35" tires! Are you going to daily it like that?

Nice tire carrier by the way... If I was going to run a huge spare, that's the one I would want.
Yeah the tire carrier was a huge score. I fully intend on dailying 35’s.

I hate the idea of buying a half baked product. If it wasn’t going to be thought out as well as the 4” coils, I would have just gone to the 4” coils the first time. Gotta move past it now though.

I’ll let you know how much Iike the tire carrier though! :D

Reactions: Chris
I hear ya!

Are you going to go with 35" MT tires or AT tires? I'm not sure I could daily MT tires after owning them in the past. They're so damn loud on the pavement it's just mind numbing.

I always think I want one of those tire carriers, but if I'm sticking with 31" tires, I don't think there's a point to a tire carrier. It is by far the best looking tire carrier for the TJ I think.

I hear ya!

Are you going to go with 35" MT tires or AT tires? I'm not sure I could daily MT tires after owning them in the past. They're so damn loud on the pavement it's just mind numbing.

I always think I want one of those tire carriers, but if I'm sticking with 31" tires, I don't think there's a point to a tire carrier. It is by far the best looking tire carrier for the TJ I think.
My toyo’s hum a little bit on the interstate but no nearly as bad as other’s I’ve ridden in. I wanted to try out the ridge grapplers (hybrid tire, although load c). I don’t really get a choice because the rims I’m after already have like new tires on them, although one member of this forum highly praises the tire on ‘em so excited to compare them vs my toyos and my previously owned KO1s.

31’s look great on the stock carrier, I couldn’t see justifying $500.00 to carry a tire the stock tire carrier could carry :).

My toyo’s hum a little bit on the interstate but no nearly as bad as other’s I’ve ridden in. I wanted to try out the ridge grapplers (hybrid tire, although load c). I don’t really get a choice because the rims I’m after already have like new tires on them, although one member of this forum highly praises the tire on ‘em so excited to compare them vs my toyos and my previously owned KO1s.

31’s look great on the stock carrier, I couldn’t see justifying $500.00 to carry a tire the stock tire carrier could carry :).

I think with these 35" tires and all the extra weight you'll be adding, it may be time for a V8 swap :p

I think with these 35" tires and all the extra weight you'll be adding, it may be time for a V8 swap :p
UPS says my Savvy armor package is only a measly 84lbs, and thats all the exterior armor Savvy sells. Trust me, removing the roof rack has lowered my TJ’s CG to the point where I’m racing through the corners.

As much as I’d like to v8 swap her, a SC looks to be more up my alley on a daily. :D

So...I know you said you didn't want to do 4" springs, but thinking about your build, and the fact that you want to tummy tuck...would it be worth it to just toss the 3" springs out as a sunk cost and purchase the complete Savvy / Currie lift? You will need control arms anyway, for the TT, the 4" springs will work better with your shocks and I bet you can get them to knock a couple Benjamin's off since you already have an anti-rock and the HD steering. You don't have to do this right now, obviously, but I think in the end, it will be better for you. The nice thing is that you can reuse the shocks. You could actually outboard them NOW, and gain some of that uptravel, then when you get the 4" coils you'll be all set.

Reactions: JMT