James & The Sahara Build Thread

When I first saw your picture, I thought your windshield became unlatched while driving! But I’m understanding now I think. Sounds like it was a pain in the ass.

Reactions: JamesAndTheSahara
If the goo gone doesn't work a clay bar and some lube should get it off.

A clay bar is amazing for getting the invisible particles out of your coating in my opinion, but what I have found to work great for the bigger stuff like grime and paint smudges etc, is wd40 and a microfiber rag. If it is really stuck on there I have used wd40 and an magic eraser. Don't let the wd40 sit, spray it, and wipe it off then spray it and wipe it off till clean. Then wash it and clay bar it at the end. WD40 and rags are way cheaper and work better on the big stuff, but I don't want to discount the clay bar because it is amazing too. (I would even do this in place of goo gone.)

A clay bar is amazing for getting the invisible particles out of your coating in my opinion, but what I have found to work great for the bigger stuff like grime and paint smudges etc, is wd40 and a microfiber rag. If it is really stuck on there I have used wd40 and an magic eraser. Don't let the wd40 sit, spray it, and wipe it off then spray it and wipe it off till clean. Then wash it and clay bar it at the end. WD40 and rags are way cheaper and work better on the big stuff, but I don't want to discount the clay bar because it is amazing too. (I would even do this in place of goo gone.)
Well I have a can of WD40 laying around so I guess I'll give that a shot. If not its off to the store for a clay bar. I've used one before but don't have one laying around sadly.

Ooh, ooh, me! Where are you going to stow the trailer I'm going to spend all your money on?
The trailer were be stowed at my familys new house (once they close on one). My dad has graciously stated I could store the trailer in the garage so hopefully trailer project will start in a month or two.

You know I’m always in! Purple, Purple, Purple....
Purple is looking pretty good right about now. ;)

Reactions: JMT
The money fell right through that hole in my pocket ;). That was fast:

Screenshot (1).png

Nice Savvy purchases, I'm envious!

I share your pain on those windshield brackets as well. First time I did that I was pissed the hell off and cursing out loud.

Reactions: JamesAndTheSahara
Nice Savvy purchases, I'm envious!

I share your pain on those windshield brackets as well. First time I did that I was pissed the hell off and cursing out loud.
Its terrible, wouldn’t wish it on my enemy.

Looks like you're single handedly securing Gerald's retirement portfolio buddy! Lol! Nice purchase!
For sure lol, I’ve nearly reached the Savvy ultimate form.

Reactions: derekmac
I see no trailer parts in that list. Hmm?
Post #871 was to clarify that. Until my family closes on a house the trailer will be on hold. Hoping to start it in a month or two. No use buying parts till i find the trailer. I’ve been looking at used m416’s and they really aren’t expensive at all.

Reactions: bobthetj03
Magic erasers are awesome but they are like using a super fine sandpaper. Be careful it will scuff your paint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The magic eraser is like super fine sandpaper, but so is the clay bar. The magic eraser will not go through the clear coat unless you have super elbows. it is supposed to take off the grime and polish your clear coat. If your grime goes down past the clear coat the magic eraser will probably be useless, but I would start with that because it is more abrasive than a clay bar but less than the finest sandpaper. It will polish as it cleans. That is the magic. Plus if you keep it wet with wd40 it will be even finer. Then when you are finished if the magic eraser made it dull at all which I would be really surprised if it did than the clay bar will bring it all back if that is the case.

I did clarify though if you are worried, you could use a microfiber rag, but I almost wonder if the magic eraser is as or more gentler than the rag.

Just to give you an example of how I found this out and how I know it works.
I ride a 06 R1 Yellow 50th anniversary street bike. It is pretty custom and I try and keep it detailed and purdy all of the time. When I get off and on sometimes I hit the tail with my boot. It doesn't scratch it but it leaves a rubber mark or marks if I haven't cleaned it for a while. So I wash the bike and then I get out my wd40 and magic eraser and clean off the rubber marks off of the clear coat. I don't wash the whole bike or even the tail with the magic eraser, but just the marks. In my case I don't have to push very hard, just enough to clean off the rubber marks. It works great and when I am done it is all shiny again.

It is hard to write this without thinking I am lecturing or arguing. I am actually not; just a suggestion is all and a reason why I suggested it.