James & The Sahara Build Thread

Wait till you see how much real estate you gathered in your shovel. You won't know it's there until you drop your skid, lol! I've taken more than one dirt bath dropping that sucker and sweeping up 10 lbs. of caked up dirt.

Reactions: JamesAndTheSahara
Wait till you see how much real estate you gathered in your shovel. You won't know it's there until you drop your skid, lol! I've taken more than one dirt bath dropping that sucker and sweeping up 10 lbs. of caked up dirt.
Well depending on what I spent the gobi rack money on it I may have to pull it sooner than later. Not 100% what to prioritize on my list :)

Where is that list again? That was a nice spreadsheet. Great pics! Nice run. Gutsy. I’d only get in the mud if I were visiting you James! Haha

I color code things to keep it easy, basically I have 3 separate things to solve issues I've had in the past and to prevent issues in the future. Currently I have no vibes and my T case works fine (Even with its crappy linkage). I have two dents in my tub from off-roading with bald ATs when I originally got the TJ. All three are things I plan on getting done, although at this time I can only select one color coded area.

Screen Shot 2018-01-13 at 10.30.35 PM.png

I am not leaning one way or another quite yet, here is my reasoning for each choice:

• Green: I run 6/8 stock control arms and rear drive shaft. No vibes although these will need to be taken care of in order to pursue a TT. The TT will require an additional $1k funds.
  • Purple: I am about to install the orfab tire carrier, so I want to avoid installing things and then taking them back off. I dented my corner of my tub on a tree a while ago and really want to avoid damaging anything once I start playing in areas other than the local mud holes.
  • Yellow: I love my toyos and would use them on this, although I have full intentions on going to a 35" tire after the Toyos, so that means a new rim. I really dig the hutchinsons and after helping my peer mount his, I don't mind the beadlocks. The last time I road with AO someone busted a bead and was a huge pain in the rear to get it mounted again. I usually run 12-15 psi if I am ever seriously offroading, but I would like to be able to go even lower without worry. More of an insurance kinda thing, but also they look pretty cool :D.
This is whats in my head right now. Trailer will be a go once my family closes on their home. For now trailer will wait.

I don’t know. Now I’m leaning toward purple. Want to protect that puppy and avoid removing stuff. With the ORB fan on the way, might as well!

I’m thinking I’ll do welting when I get to my body armor.

I don’t know. Now I’m leaning toward purple. Want to protect that puppy and avoid removing stuff. With the ORB fan on the way, might as well!

I’m thinking I’ll do welting when I get to my body armor.
Purple is definitely what I was considering as my top choice rn. It was finish my exterior upgrades and leave just the under carriage and rims.

Wow a couple things:
  • Should of cleaned the rack before removing it, oh well.
  • Jeep looks wayyyy smaller without the rack.
  • The quality of the grade 5 bolts used on the rack are very poor considering the rack is unbelievably expensive.
  • The greatest thing in the world happened, the plated nuts for the windshield hinges fell in on the drivers side. So I get to drop the windshield and try to get that sorted out.
  • The weatherstripping/foam protectors on the rack were not kind to my paint as dirt worked its way in. Hoping I don’t have any extensive damage around the windshield frane.
Here how she sits now:

47F2C2E1-5F9B-4ECC-A0EA-7470C9BA5F45.jpeg
9759C298-1443-495E-A59A-B86EDDADD1C5.jpeg

P.S. I’m sure @Chris is glad one more TJ is now light bar-less ;)

Wow a couple things:
  • Should of cleaned the rack before removing it, oh well.
  • Jeep looks wayyyy smaller without the rack.
  • The quality of the grade 5 bolts used on the rack are very poor considering the rack is unbelievably expensive.
  • The greatest thing in the world happened, the plated nuts for the windshield hinges fell in on the drivers side. So I get to drop the windshield and try to get that sorted out.
  • The weatherstripping/foam protectors on the rack were not kind to my paint as dirt worked its way in. Hoping I don’t have any extensive damage around the windshield frane.
Here how she sits now:

View attachment 28998 View attachment 28997

P.S. I’m sure @Chris is glad one more TJ is now light bar-less ;)

IMHO it looks better without the light bar... I don't like the light bar or LED light cube look. It looks weird to me.

Why did you remove the light bar BTW?

IMHO it looks better without the light bar... I don't like the light bar or LED light cube look. It looks weird to me.

Why did you remove the light bar BTW?
The rack required some sort of lighting to fill the void infront of the cargo basket. Only ran a light bar to fill it, light bar will go for free to the buyer since its a perfect fit. I’ll switch back over to bumper lights if my jw speakers ever feel insufficient :).

Reactions: Chris
The rack required some sort of lighting to fill the void infront of the cargo basket. Only ran a light bar to fill it, light bar will go for free to the buyer since its a perfect fit. I’ll switch back over to bumper lights if my jw speakers ever feel insufficient :).

Makes sense! Once I got my Truck Lites I knew I'd never need a light bar or any other lights. Those things are so damn bright that I can honestly see everything I need to!

Well today I re-entered the gates of hell. I'm sure my neighbors loved me talking to the Jeep engineering team that put a pegged plate to hold the nuts INSIDE OF THE WINDSHIELD frame and not just weld them but oh well. Lucky for me last time I fought this I drilled an access hole. Just a solid hour of using screwdrivers and needle nose pliers and its done. Honestly I don't even think I will ever remove them, even to paint them. I will probably mask them off and paint them individually.

IMG_1512.JPG
IMG_1513.JPG
IMG_1519.JPG

62E69EFA-7FD8-4E94-B1C1-3AE7F6DF596D.jpeg

Then off to the car wash, lucky for me my room mate captured a photo.

IMG_1522.JPG
IMG_1523.JPG

The roof rack left some serious grime that didn't come off so easy in the car wash. I will have to take a razor and some goo-gone and see if I can get it off the A pillar and upper windshield channel.

Possibly closing on the rack pretty soon so fingers crossed.

The roof rack left some serious grime that didn't come off so easy in the car wash. I will have to take a razor and some goo-gone and see if I can get it off the A pillar and upper windshield channel.

Possibly closing on the rack pretty soon so fingers crossed.

If the goo gone doesnt work a clay bar and some lube should get it off.