• Great function ?

Votes: 8 53.3%
  • Great Look ?

Votes: 14 93.3%

• Total voters

Eddie Greenlee

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
I have been thinking about highline fenders for some time now. I have the inner-fenders for the JCR offroad highlines.
1. Highline will give me the needed room so my tires will not rub on the fenders at full flex.
2. The Look of them does appeal to me. Its a bit more aggressive look but not too much. The new jeeps come stock with higher fenders. SO its a function thing first to me and then the look.
here are the pictues , remember to look at the fenders and not all the cool stuff on the jeep ha.
Whats your opinion??

1606320735131.png

1606320735131.png
1606320789721.png
1606320789721.png

• Love
Reactions: JMT and Fouledplugs
I love the highline look myself - definitely adds a bit of a "custom look" (without being mall-crawlerish) with a lot of functionality/space...

IMG_0492.jpg

IMG_0561.jpg

(Haven't trimmed bump stops yet, running 2" extended for the time being)
IMG_0564.jpg

Unless you have outboarded your shocks, I don’t see how highline fenders would be of any benefit at all. Well, with 35s at least.
Maybe it's because I'm sitting here thinking about fresh roasted turkey for the next 4 days, but why does an outboard matter with a highline? I'm assuming here that you're referring to outboarding the rear and highlining the front. I'm still new to TJ's so maybe these terms mean more than what I've been familiar with :)

Maybe it's because I'm sitting here thinking about fresh roasted turkey for the next 4 days, but why does an outboard matter with a highline? I'm assuming here that you're referring to outboarding the rear and highlining the front. I'm still new to TJ's so maybe these terms mean more than what I've been familiar with :)

The shock determines the travel. Raising the upper mount and reducing the needed bump stop is what will allow the tire to interfere with the factory fenders. Even then, something is unusual or out of balance if that is happening in a meaningful way on a normal 35" build.

The shock determines the travel. Raising the upper mount and reducing the needed bump stop is what will allow the tire to interfere with the factory fenders. Even then, something is unusual or out of balance if that is happening in a meaningful way on a normal 35" build.
Understand that - but correct me if I'm wrong, I don't see anyone "highlining" the rear fenders (even with an outboard). Some trimming yes, but even with an outboarded 12" rear shock, no one is doing more than typical trimming and bumpstop adjustment, right?

For the front, raising the upper mount (or lowering the lower mount I suppose) is really the only way to get more than the typical 11" of shock travel most shoot for. In this instance, doesn't a highline allow for near factory up-travel (~4.5" to 5") with less bumpstop requirement?

The wheeling bud I went with last weekend has non-highline tube fenders (which don't do anything to the inner fender location) and on 35"s with 5.5" springs, he needs ~3.5" of additional bumpstop to prevent rubbing (whereas I'm at 2" of bumpstop and will be able to trim about 1/2" more off). I will have to ask, but I believe he still rubs some, but it's negligible at the inner fender. We both run 11" front shocks and according to him, it was worse with the factory fenders since he was constantly rubbing the flares (I know many people say that rubbing the flares isn't an issue and I tend to agree - up to the point where the start to rip off, like I did with my YJ).

Reactions: Eddie Greenlee
Understand that - but correct me if I'm wrong, I don't see anyone "highlining" the rear fenders (even with an outboard). Some trimming yes, but even with an outboarded 12" rear shock, no one is doing more than typical trimming and bumpstop adjustment, right?

For the front, raising the upper mount (or lowering the lower mount I suppose) is really the only way to get more than the typical 11" of shock travel most shoot for. In this instance, doesn't a highline allow for near factory up-travel (~4.5" to 5") with less bumpstop requirement?

The wheeling bud I went with last weekend has non-highline tube fenders (which don't do anything to the inner fender location) and on 35"s with 5.5" springs, he needs ~3.5" of additional bumpstop to prevent rubbing (whereas I'm at 2" of bumpstop and will be able to trim about 1/2" more off). I will have to ask, but I believe he still rubs some, but it's negligible at the inner fender. We both run 11" front shocks and according to him, it was worse with the factory fenders since he was constantly rubbing the flares (I know many people say that rubbing the flares isn't an issue and I tend to agree - up to the point where the start to rip off, like I did with my YJ).

The rears have more room than the front. And you have to speak in terms of the shock travel bias. That describes more of what is really going on than just the length or bump stop or lift height.

A rig with 2" up, 9" down is built differently than one with 5.5" up, 5.5" down.

For highlines to really be functional as a suspension modification, the suspension needs to be built to make use of the highlines.

Last edited:
I love the highline look myself - definitely adds a bit of a "custom look" (without being mall-crawlerish) with a lot of functionality/space...

View attachment 205806

View attachment 205808

(Haven't trimmed bump stops yet, running 2" extended for the time being)
View attachment 205809
What is the function you are looking for? You'll need an 11" shock with 5" of up before a 35" starts to interfere with the factory fenders. That isn't going to happen with a bolt on shock.
Actually my 35s rub the fender at full flex now. I just want more room under the fender for sure.

Things must be out of balance for me at this point. Because at full flex my 35s do touch my fender and if my tire were new they really would get into the fender. So another 3” of safety margin can’t hurt anything ,, right ?

Things must be out of balance for me at this point. Because at full flex my 35s do touch my fender and if my tire were new they really would get into the fender. So another 3” of safety margin can’t hurt anything ,, right ?

It can't hurt. Everything is a compromise.

Reactions: Eddie Greenlee