My ‘03 wrangler seems to have gained the death wobble but the only thing that seems to be in poor shape is my steering stabilizer, everyone has told me that won’t cause death wobble however it’s the only thing I can think of that’d cause it. the wobble only happens occasionally also but I’ve never experience death wobble until now so idk maybe thats normal. Thanks

95% of the time, DW is because of tire imbalance. Maybe you lost a wheel weight. Or picked up a bunch of mud in a wheel. Have your tires balanced, and see what that does.
The Steering Stabilizer is like a shock absorber. A bad shock absorber won't cause wheel hop, but if it starts, it won't dampen it.
Steering Stabilizers weren't even around until the mid 1970s, and DW, while it existed, was still able to be dealt with.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
95% of the time, DW is because of tire imbalance. Maybe you lost a wheel weight. Or picked up a bunch of mud in a wheel. Have your tires balanced, and see what that does.
The Steering Stabilizer is like a shock absorber. A bad shock absorber won't cause wheel hop, but if it starts, it won't dampen it.
Steering Stabilizers weren't even around until the mid 1970s, and DW, while it existed, was still able to be dealt with.

Thank you I completely forgot that I could’ve knocked my balance out of wack lol

My ‘03 wrangler seems to have gained the death wobble but the only thing that seems to be in poor shape is my steering stabilizer, everyone has told me that won’t cause death wobble however it’s the only thing I can think of that’d cause it. the wobble only happens occasionally also but I’ve never experience death wobble until now so idk maybe thats normal. Thanks

How have you determined that everything else is OK?

Are you sure you have death wobble?

I have no idea what else I would call my jeep violently trying to shake me to bits

I asked the question because of your “idk maybe thats normal” comment. No offense intended.

I’ve alway said if you think you have death wobble, you don’t have death wobble - because if you actually have death wobble, you KNOW you have death wobble.

I have no idea what else I would call my jeep violently trying to shake me to bits

you could go grab the front axle at each ujoint and see if there is alot of play. I had alot under there replaced including trackbar and tie rod ends that solidified 80% of it. The rest was new shocks and my unbalanced cupped tires up front.

I need to put in my 2 cents ! Replace that steering stabilizer. Here's why , I'm out 4 wheelin in the the red clay and I knew I had a bad steering stabilizer buttt everything else was good and had no DW so wasn't worried about it, went home on interstate and 1st bridge I hit went into DW, my 800$ dollar phone bought the farm as I tried to bring it to a stop.
So I replace the 60$ stabilizer and even if the tires get caked in mud or clay I haven't had death wobbles since.

• Dislike
Reactions: Rickyd
Have you properly ensured the pitman arm doesn't have any play, the wheel bearings aren't loose, the ball joints aren't loose, the trackbar isn't loose, tie rod ends are good, etc.?

Have you done a dry steering test?

Alignment is good?

If you aren't sure if you have properly checked your steering items, then don't assume the items are in good shape. Only check things off the list once you confirm they are good. Maybe you've done this already.

Best of luck with this.

Reactions: AndyG

Have you made any changes to your rig lately? Anything? Even as slight as rotating your tires?

Not possible it’s caused by the steering damper. You can run without one and a solid steering system and balanced tires will not get DW. No use throwing parts at it. You need to isolate the problem.

Tire balance
Front TB
CA’s
Ball joints

Have you done a dry steering test?

Here ya go- this is the first move above-

2nd- rotate tires front to back

A linkage is either being shaken or allowed to shake-or a little of both can happen-

Last, toe it out 5/8” and drive it on a hard bump- if that fixes it check your front upper passenger side control arm joint and mount.

There can be freaky causes, but most of the time it is something you can see and replace and fix it as long as the tires are spot on.

If a stabilizer stops it it isn’t fixed- it is being dampened into submission- the linkage doesn’t need to move on it’s own.

Reactions: MikeE024
I need to put in my 2 cents ! Replace that steering stabilizer. Here's why , I'm out 4 wheelin in the the red clay and I knew I had a bad steering stabilizer buttt everything else was good and had no DW so wasn't worried about it, went home on interstate and 1st bridge I hit went into DW, my 800$ dollar phone bought the farm as I tried to bring it to a stop.
So I replace the 60$ stabilizer and even if the tires get caked in mud or clay I haven't had death wobbles since.
That did not fix the root cause of your DW which is still there awaiting your SS to loosen up so it can happen again. We call that a temporary band-aid fix.

As above, DW is most often caused by a bad or imperfectly balanced front tire. A spinning tire that's out of balance provides the power for the violence experienced during a DW event. A track bar that's not tight enough can also make it easier for an out of balance tire to trigger DW.

Reactions: John Cooper
That did not fix the root cause of your DW which is still there awaiting your SS to loosen up so it can happen again. We call that a temporary band-aid fix.

No I washed and scraped rocks and clay out of wheels when I got home, I was not saying don't check front end and balance because of a good stabilizer. But a good steering stabilizer could have saved my phone or worst case scenario wreck !!!!

• Dislike
Reactions: Rickyd
Out of round tires and wheels that aren't true are also something to look for. Jack it up,spin the tire and watch the rim beads for movement. Run a hand lightly on the top to the tread while spinning it. Just getting a balance isn't enough