Jeep Wrangler TJ 42RLE automatic transmission problems

I know this is old but I wanted to share my trans and other experiences. After cancer then dementia took one then the other of my in-laws we wanted freedom and in the summer of 13 we bought a 06 Wrangler X automatic with approximately 70k miles. It had a 2.5 inch Skyjacker lift with Rubicon wheels and we put BF Goodrich All Terrains on it and I think its probably 31" overall. It was well taken care of and documented, Carfax, dealer receipts and everything. The transmission had been serviced twice by the time we owned it so in keeping with tradition I had it serviced at the local dealership in the spring of 14. Within 2 weeks our nightmare began with the transmission not wanting to shift out of 1st then shifting really hard into 2nd. I took it back to the dealer, the PCM was flashed and it worked ok for about a year then it started acting up again. (Spring/Summer 2015) I read and found I could reset the PCM but that only worked for a short while so I had the PCM flashed again but this time it didn't last long. We found if we drove up steep inclines or the transmission got hot it was more likely to have the issue so we dealt with the problem as it came and went on its own until Feb 16. Around that time the oil pressure gauge dropped to 0 but the engine sounded fine and the oil pressure sending unit was replaced. However the problem returned and after another replaced by me and one replaced by the dealer plus 2 new oil pump drive assemblies they finally used dialectic grease on the connector to the gauge cluster which fixed that problem. (They threw in scratched glass on the cluster for free.) A few weeks later the transmission was getting worse and by now was more than just the original issue so we had it replaced. On the way home it started shifting hard. I took it back and the next morning, 1st thing without having been started, the computer told the transmission guy that it was at 1000 degrees, they replaced the transmission module but the problem still existed. I took it back to the dealership, they replaced the PCM and gave it back to me so I could be the one driving when it turned 100k miles, yippee. Soon after I was getting check engine lights again so I took it back to the dealer and it was there most of 16. PCMs were replaced and multiple cam position sensors but really nothing I could say for sure cured the issue. I've been able to drive it places that before would cause the transmission to shift hard but now do not. That's not to say we have not noticed it wanting to not shift out of 1st one time since we got it back. This year (2017) we were able to use it briefly but the last time we went down a gravel road the front suspension was making more noise than usual. It's always made noise, sounds like metal on metal or like the springs moving around but this time was different. On the way back home I was going around a curve and the front end moved and popped. I didn't like that at all but was able to get it home and like usual couldn't find anything. Scheduled some time with a local 4x4 shop but the day before taking it there I pulled into my wife's parking lot at her job and heard/felt a loud pop and afterward it made no more noise (spring popped back into place? didn't see it out of place). I took it anyway and they found no problems. I was driving home, Jeep ran good, shifted good, oil and temp looked great, life was good, I was smiling! As I got closer to home I remembered the inspection was due and not wanting it to be late I pulled into the shop. I was happy and just wanting to get home and the inspection guy said "you know you're radiators leaking"? In shock I walked up to the engine and sure enough about a 3 inch crack right on top. Did I mention I had replaced all the hoses, thermostat and flushed out the old coolant just the year before and there's less than 7k miles since? It never did overheat and I just drove it home and parked it. That's been a few weeks and I've been too disgusted to order a new radiator yet. It's a pretty Jeep, dark blue, looks good in my yard, it must I can't keep people from trespassing to look at it and a new scratch came from somewhere. I do enjoy working on cars some but can say most assuredly at this point I'd rather be driving my Jeep with confidence something I'm not sure I'll be able to do again.

Reactions: Webfoot
I know this is old but I wanted to share my trans and other experiences. After cancer then dementia took one then the other of my in-laws we wanted freedom and in the summer of 13 we bought a 06 Wrangler X automatic with approximately 70k miles. It had a 2.5 inch Skyjacker lift with Rubicon wheels and we put BF Goodrich All Terrains on it and I think its probably 31" overall. It was well taken care of and documented, Carfax, dealer receipts and everything. The transmission had been serviced twice by the time we owned it so in keeping with tradition I had it serviced at the local dealership in the spring of 14. Within 2 weeks our nightmare began with the transmission not wanting to shift out of 1st then shifting really hard into 2nd. I took it back to the dealer, the PCM was flashed and it worked ok for about a year then it started acting up again. (Spring/Summer 2015) I read and found I could reset the PCM but that only worked for a short while so I had the PCM flashed again but this time it didn't last long. We found if we drove up steep inclines or the transmission got hot it was more likely to have the issue so we dealt with the problem as it came and went on its own until Feb 16. Around that time the oil pressure gauge dropped to 0 but the engine sounded fine and the oil pressure sending unit was replaced. However the problem returned and after another replaced by me and one replaced by the dealer plus 2 new oil pump drive assemblies they finally used dialectic grease on the connector to the gauge cluster which fixed that problem. (They threw in scratched glass on the cluster for free.) A few weeks later the transmission was getting worse and by now was more than just the original issue so we had it replaced. On the way home it started shifting hard. I took it back and the next morning, 1st thing without having been started, the computer told the transmission guy that it was at 1000 degrees, they replaced the transmission module but the problem still existed. I took it back to the dealership, they replaced the PCM and gave it back to me so I could be the one driving when it turned 100k miles, yippee. Soon after I was getting check engine lights again so I took it back to the dealer and it was there most of 16. PCMs were replaced and multiple cam position sensors but really nothing I could say for sure cured the issue. I've been able to drive it places that before would cause the transmission to shift hard but now do not. That's not to say we have not noticed it wanting to not shift out of 1st one time since we got it back. This year (2017) we were able to use it briefly but the last time we went down a gravel road the front suspension was making more noise than usual. It's always made noise, sounds like metal on metal or like the springs moving around but this time was different. On the way back home I was going around a curve and the front end moved and popped. I didn't like that at all but was able to get it home and like usual couldn't find anything. Scheduled some time with a local 4x4 shop but the day before taking it there I pulled into my wife's parking lot at her job and heard/felt a loud pop and afterward it made no more noise (spring popped back into place? didn't see it out of place). I took it anyway and they found no problems. I was driving home, Jeep ran good, shifted good, oil and temp looked great, life was good, I was smiling! As I got closer to home I remembered the inspection was due and not wanting it to be late I pulled into the shop. I was happy and just wanting to get home and the inspection guy said "you know you're radiators leaking"? In shock I walked up to the engine and sure enough about a 3 inch crack right on top. Did I mention I had replaced all the hoses, thermostat and flushed out the old coolant just the year before and there's less than 7k miles since? It never did overheat and I just drove it home and parked it. That's been a few weeks and I've been too disgusted to order a new radiator yet. It's a pretty Jeep, dark blue, looks good in my yard, it must I can't keep people from trespassing to look at it and a new scratch came from somewhere. I do enjoy working on cars some but can say most assuredly at this point I'd rather be driving my Jeep with confidence something I'm not sure I'll be able to do again.
Dude....that is a nightmare! I found your thread due to my tranny doing the same hard shift out of first. It's done it before but I solved the problem by flushing and changing the tranny filter about 8k miles ago.. now it's back. I'm super bummed out knowing my tranny might go soon. During this 8 k miles I was saving for a tranny cooler, but it seems I'm to late.

I'm having a similar problem too. At a certain point my engine will just shut down after running for a while which is about an hour. Started on Mothers day 2018. I July brought it to 3 shop including the local Jeep dealership. All shops point to the PCM. The shops scanners all showed the temp of my tranny at over 600 degrees which is impossible. So since all recommend that the PCM is the problem thats what I need to get repaired or replaced. The dealership said it could be months to get a replacement. I have sent my PCM out today to see if it can be repaired. Keeping my fingers crossed. BTW Bobby my Jeep is dark "Patriot Blue" too.

I have an automatic transmission and when it is cold or sets for awhile, I start it up and when I take off and it shifts for the first time, it kicks real hard and sometimes does it two or three times when I stop and pull out again. Jeep Wrangler 65th anniversary edition with a v6
I'm sure it has been discussed somewhere else on the forum, but I read that that the hard shift to second after a cold restart has to do with the PCM. An aftermarket PCM with improved programming and lifetime warrantee will run about $550. I would love to hear from anyone else that may have actually installed the aftermarket PCM. Thanks.

Hmmm. Patriot Blue as well. On my second transmission. Had to replace my pcm after install. Now, when i cold start my jeep, it takes a few minutes before i can shift out of park. Is it a color based problem? :LOL:

I believe I may have figured out the problem with the shifting and why it occurs. But I would love to hear what you guys have to say. I believe it is due to the location of the PCU. The PCU is located high on the left side of the firewall. Putting a digital thermometer to mine after driving uphill in 110 weather in Southern California, the outer casing of the PCU was over 400 degrees. Most automobile chips are rated to 250 Celsius, but at this temperature, the circuit board expands causing solder points to fail and chips to return to default. This may not be noticed until the PCU returns to normal temperature, thus the cold start shifting problem. After installing a louver in the hood to allow dissipation of the heat, for me, the problem disappeared. If the problem remained, I would have re-solder and cleaned the contact points. I may do this anyway to avoid any further damage. So, what do you think? Design failure?

IMG_20190821_010545.jpg

I believe I may have figured out the problem with the shifting and why it occurs. But I would love to hear what you guys have to say. I believe it is due to the location of the PCU. The PCU is located high on the left side of the firewall. Putting a digital thermometer to mine after driving uphill in 110 weather in Southern California, the outer casing of the PCU was over 400 degrees. Most automobile chips are rated to 250 Celsius, but at this temperature, the circuit board expands causing solder points to fail and chips to return to default. This may not be noticed until the PCU returns to normal temperature, thus the cold start shifting problem. After installing a louver in the hood to allow dissipation of the heat, for me, the problem disappeared. If the problem remained, I would have re-solder and cleaned the contact points. I may do this anyway to avoid any further damage. So, what do you think? Design failure?

View attachment 111035
I have the same issue. With a 06, Tj, I6, auto. Is your fix still working for you? I was thinking the same thing. Maybe a small fan install? Either or both.

I have the same issue. With a 06, Tj, I6, auto. Is your fix still working for you? I was thinking the same thing. Maybe a small fan install? Either or both.
Still working great. It may have been the cooling of the engine department, it may have been resoldering the PCU or it may have been both. All I know is that it now shifts like a champ and the coolant never goes above 210 degrees.

Still working great. It may have been the cooling of the engine department, it may have been resoldering the PCU or it may have been both. All I know is that it now shifts like a champ and the coolant never goes above 210 degrees.
I am sure there are some engineers on here that could give their professional opinion. I would appreciate some feedback.