Jeep Wrangler TJ LED Headlight Upgrade Options

I have been saving up to buy the Truck-lite LED's. Since I currently have KC fog lights, driving lights, and flood lights, I'm curious if I should replace them with LED's as well.

View attachment 10871

I know LED headlights would be a HUGE upgrade, but I'd hate to have to replace all the other lights for cosmetic purposes.

But it's only money, right? $$$

Don't bother. I replaced my headlights with Truck Lite LED headlights, but I kept the stock fog lights and it's just fine that way.

The Truck Lites are so friggin' bright that you'll never need anything more, seriously.

Here are the Rugged Ridge 12402.80 Round Crystal H2 Headlights .

New on the left:
20170217_164907.jpg

Old lights:
20170217_163027.jpg

20170217_163033.jpg

Drivers side installed:
20170217_165959.jpg

20170217_164642.jpg

20170217_164648.jpg

I forgot to take a pic of both installed. I'll try them out tonight to see how much brighter they are compared to the old stock sealed beam lights.

Here are the Rugged Ridge 12402.80 Round Crystal H2 Headlights .

New on the left:
View attachment 11057

Old lights:
View attachment 11058
View attachment 11059

Drivers side installed:
View attachment 11060
View attachment 11061
View attachment 11062

I forgot to take a pic of both installed. I'll try them out tonight to see how much brighter they are compared to the old stock sealed beam lights.

Looks like a big improvement. It seems like the one new light could take the place of both old lights.

Cool, very good to know!

But also... I just noticed that price is *each*, not per pair. $838/pr = eek!

I'll probably go for the knock-off Truck-lites. Seems like general consensus still is that not only are they a great value, but nothing else is better anyway?
Try a local junk yard for a set of JK lights.

That's a good idea for a short-term fix to my burned out passenger-side light, but do you think there would be many of the OEM JK LED lights in junkyards yet?
People wreck everyday. If you can find a 2017 and the yard doesn't know about them being the new LED lights. You could get an awesome deal.

Reactions: sumitagarwal
Being that I need to fix this quick to comply with a fix-it ticket I got, can anyone confirm the Truck-lite (and knock-offs) are still the best overall light for now?

The Truck Lites are fucking (pardon my French) amazing. They'll blow your mind how bright they are, I'm not even kidding. 4 years of running mine, and I wouldn't have it any other way. If they are good enough for the US Army, they are good enough for me!

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
Cool thread...I'm glad harnesses were mentioned. If you're upgrading to LED, its probably not necessary, but I'm guessing that anyone who still runs halogens will notice a large improvement in both Light output and quality by upgrading the harness and installing relays. I've been on this site http://www.danielsternlighting.com/ a bunch. He has a TON of information on why most factory headlights suck, and sells a lot of the parts to make them better.

Personally, I'm not sure I want to go with LED's yet. I'm not a fan of the "look" though the trucklights don't look terrible. A buddy has a J-10 with the Lantsun style and I HATE them. To each their own though. I will probably buy the Cibie reflectors and some Silverstar H4 bulbs for them, and do the wiring upgrade though. That should get me much improved lighting.

I had the Lantsun style light and could never get used to that look. Although they were a major light output upgrade, I eventually removed them and put the originals back in. I was function over fashion for awhile but I just hated the JK'er look they gave.

Cool thread...I'm glad harnesses were mentioned. If you're upgrading to LED, its probably not necessary, but I'm guessing that anyone who still runs halogens will notice a large improvement in both Light output and quality by upgrading the harness and installing relays. I've been on this site http://www.danielsternlighting.com/ a bunch. He has a TON of information on why most factory headlights suck, and sells a lot of the parts to make them better.

As I mentioned earlier, I have Trucklites in my daughter's LJ, JW Speakers in my wife's JKU, and the dedicated wiring harness w/CIBIE housings and Sylvania (Osram) bulbs. All three are extremely effective upgrades but I prefer the light distribution & coloring of my setup over the other two.

Reactions: rab and Mike_H
I personally love my Truck Lites. The light output is phenomenal. Such an upgrade over stock. Not to mention the reduced load on the alternator :p

The only real problem I have with the LED's is the color temp. Yes, they are bright as heck, but my eyes seem happier within the 4500K temps. Prolonged night driving with 6000K temps would just create too much eye fatigue for me. Love the LED spots though for trail driving at night.