Jeep Wrangler TJ still has death wobble / violent shake after replacing track bar

TeflonTrout

Hey guys so recently my Jeep starting giving me some death wobble. I knew it would happen it was just a matter of time.

2004 Jeep TJ, 4.0L, 6 speed manual, 132,xxx miles.

I ended up replacing the track bar and the tie rod end that goes to the pitman arm as well as new ball joints and I still have a pretty serious shaking when I get above 60 mph. From what I have read it could just be a tire balancing issue since it is at higher speeds. Is this a common thing?

I need new tires and an alignment anyway so I guess what I'm asking is there anything else I should replace before new tires and alignment?

Thanks in advance!

Imperfect tire balance or a bad tire is usually always the root cause of DW. Something being loose helps DW develop more easily but nothing needs to be loose for full-blown DW to develop. My previous TJ got the worst case of DW I could imagine when it was near new and nothing was worn or loose yet, one of the balancing weights had come off a front tire. I'll never forget that particular DW event, it was bad enough to completely blur my vision and it was pretty much causing my life passing before my eyes before I got it stopped to stop the DW. Cars were getting out of my way, even they saw something crazy was happening... it was that bad. Rebalancing that front tire was the cure, I don't think I ever had it again on that Jeep.

Know too that the bigger the tire, the more difficult it is to balance well enough (perfectly) to stop DW. And very few tire shops will spend the time needed to get tire balanced that perfectly. A small tire can be balanced well enough in just a few minutes to stop vibrations but a big tire? It takes more time. What is a "good enough" tire balance for a small tire is seldom good enough for a big tire on a truck or Jeep with a solid front axle.

Last edited:
Yep, I agree with what Jerry said 100%.

Tires, tires, tires! Get those tires balanced, and make sure whoever you have do it is a shop that has done plenty of bigger tires on 4x4s.

Wow both Jerry and Chris responding to my post! Appreciate all you both do for this forum.

Jerry, I had a similar mishap a few weeks ago driving home from work and when you say your life flashed before your eyes, I know exactly what you mean! I got home and insta-ordered a new track bar.

Next paycheck I'm gonna order some new tires and hopefully that will get rid of the DW.

From both of your experience would bad U-Joints assist in bad DW or is that a bunch of malarkey?

Wow both Jerry and Chris responding to my post! Appreciate all you both do for this forum.

Jerry, I had a similar mishap a few weeks ago driving home from work and when you say your life flashed before your eyes, I know exactly what you mean! I got home and insta-ordered a new track bar.

Next paycheck I'm gonna order some new tires and hopefully that will get rid of the DW.

From both of your experience would bad U-Joints assist in bad DW or is that a bunch of malarkey?
I'd focus solely on your tires right now. And be aware that few tire shops get them balanced well enough the first time, I had to have my tires balanced at my local Discount Tires store 3X in one day before they finally figured out they needed to spend enough time to get them balanced correctly which means perfectly. Don't be afraid to go back if they're not right. I often offer the tire guy a $$$ tip before he starts if he spends enough time to get them balanced right the first time so I don't have to come back. I also let him know ahead of time that a rush balance isn't going to do it for my bigger than average tires.

I often offer the tire guy a $$$ tip before he starts if he spends enough time to get them balanced right the first time so I don't have to come back. I also let him know ahead of time that a rush balance isn't going to do it for my bigger than average tires.

Awesome, I'll make sure it gets done properly. My tires are about 5 years old (20,000 miles) so I'm gonna bet it's a tire issue. Thanks again!

Reactions: Jerry Bransford