Jezza's Turbo LJ

Lightweight prototypes are on. Now I need to figure out what to do with all the other holes in the tailgate.

20231205_153338.jpg

Lightweight prototypes are on. Now I need to figure out what to do with all the other holes in the tailgate.

View attachment 479961

Slight tangent: I also have a swing out bumper tire carrier and after seeing a few reports of fatigue failures have been thinking of simple support options.
A link from the upper part of the tailgate to the carrier makes it quite rigid, but needs to be released for the carrier to open.
I've thought of using a tailgate tire bumper to stop the carrier from flexing inwards. This would only brace in one direction but I'm thinking it should help reduce total movement. It lines up on mine between 2 of the upper holes so I've considered making a simple block to hold a tire bumper there.

Slight tangent: I also have a swing out bumper tire carrier and after seeing a few reports of fatigue failures have been thinking of simple support options.
A link from the upper part of the tailgate to the carrier makes it quite rigid, but needs to be released for the carrier to open.
I've thought of using a tailgate tire bumper to stop the carrier from flexing inwards. This would only brace in one direction but I'm thinking it should help reduce total movement. It lines up on mine between 2 of the upper holes so I've considered making a simple block to hold a tire bumper there.

My swing out bumper started to sag after I mounted the 35 on it. It was bending at the frame mounts. I cut off the old plates and welded in 3/8" plates on the bumper. Now it's solid and does not move at all.

Reactions: JMT
My swing out bumper started to sag after I mounted the 35 on it. It was bending at the frame mounts. I cut off the old plates and welded in 3/8" plates on the bumper. Now it's solid and does not move at all.

If you push on the top of the tire does it not flex a little? It's pretty easy to get mine bouncing a little. Probably 1/4-1/2 inch or so of wiggle. It's a long lever so I don't know how much flex is too much. Mine isn't sagging at al.

If you push on the top of the tire does it not flex a little? It's pretty easy to get mine bouncing a little. Probably 1/4-1/2 inch or so of wiggle. It's a long lever so I don't know how much flex is too much. Mine isn't sagging at al.

Maybe a little wiggle. Depends on how hard you push it I guess. You might be able to space out the factory rubber tire snubbers to help stabilize it. Could be kind of ugly though.

Reactions: srimes
Prototype HDs are done. I need to order some hardware and test on them a bit. I'm going to order some material this week to run sets of each style over Christmas week when everything else is shut down. The raw aluminum finish ones should be on the website by New Years.

20231211_134730.jpg

Prototype HDs are done. I need to order some hardware and test on them a bit. I'm going to order some material this week to run sets of each style over Christmas week when everything else is shut down. The raw aluminum finish ones should be on the website by New Years.

View attachment 481737

Nice work, Jezza. I‘m jealous of your machining skills. Vey cool.

I went to remove my hard top last weekend only to find a mixed bag of hardware. So, I made some. I certainly wasn't going to buy any offshore hardware that everyone else sells. Solid aluminum with a stainless steel stud and an integrated o-ring in the base. The aluminum top is one piece and has a loop for straps or a net. I also made some channel nuts for under the rail, 50% longer and 100% thicker than stock made from 7075 and roll form threaded for extra strength.

20231222_170821.jpg

20231222_171238.jpg

20231222_171342.jpg

I went to remove my hard top last weekend only to find a mixed bag of hardware. So, I made some. I certainly wasn't going to buy any offshore hardware that everyone else sells. Solid aluminum with a stainless steel stud and an integrated o-ring in the base. The aluminum top is one piece and has a loop for straps or a net. I also made some channel nuts for under the rail, 50% longer and 100% thicker than stock made from 7075 and roll form threaded for extra strength.

View attachment 484534

View attachment 484535

View attachment 484536

Those are cool. Going to put them on the site?

Reactions: BlueC
Very nice, Jezz. If you ever feel up to it, I’d love to see a few shots of your machining process when you make things like this.

I wouldn't mind, this next week might be good for that as the rest of the facility is shut down, and I won't accidentally shoot something I shouldn't.