Colorado Krew Hangout

I have used SFF Customs for a regear and axle swap. He has also helped me with a few other projects. His name is Josh and he does solid work for a very reasonable price. It is true that he will reuse any part he can, unless told otherwise, though he does inspect everything and makes recommendations based on wear. I am very happy with his work. His site advertises a regear for 800. Price goes up if you want specific branding on the gears.
Thanks for the firsthand info! I really appreciate it. I got a quote from him, and it was so low that it made me nervous actually.

So what should I ask for to make sure everything gets done right? What brand of gears is best? Should I ask for Timken bearings? How about LubeLocker reusable differential gaskets? I put them on my XJ when I put on my Solid diff covers. Unfortunately I had a shop work on the front end after that, and they ruined my inner axle seals and then threw away the reusable gasket when they fixed them. Needless to say I don't go there anymore.

Thanks for the firsthand info! I really appreciate it. I got a quote from him, and it was so low that it made me nervous actually.

So what should I ask for to make sure everything gets done right? What brand of gears is best? Should I ask for Timken bearings? How about LubeLocker reusable differential gaskets? I put them on my XJ when I put on my Solid diff covers. Unfortunately I had a shop work on the front end after that, and they ruined my inner axle seals and then threw away the reusable gasket when they fixed them. Needless to say I don't go there anymore.

I wouldnt be nervous. He has a lot of satisfied customers if you know where to look on the forums. If you can, I would bring him a master install kit for both axles. That will include everything you need. RG&A uses timken and set up well. I really like my lubelocker gaskets. Worth it not having to wait for RTV dry times, plus they can be used multiple times.

Everything Tworley said. I did not take him a install kit, but asked for new bearings and seals. While I have had zero problems with my setup, I would have liked to know the brands going in. I never asked. Lubelockers are definitely worth the investment, love mine.

Reactions: anarce
I'm on red mountain pass right now. Can confirm everything still open. It was 70 in Silverton today, snow is fully melted up to about 12,500 and California Pass had snow off the road above lake Como but the road itself was clear. I imagine Engineer might need a couple more days to clear the short section that faces North; I talked to a guy that said it was slush yesterday.

The photo was our lunch today at around 12,200 coming down the east side of California Pass. You can tell north from south based on the remaining snow coverage.

As long as the warm weather holds I would still expect things to be ok for your trip. I would hesitate to book anything non refundable, watch the area weather and be prepared to make a game time call if they get another snowstorm. If you're on FB, join "San Juan Mountain Trail Group", they're pretty good about knowing current conditions.

View attachment 189765

Great photo!

I'm driving from Littleton to Montrose next Wednesday. The ranger district said everything is open, so I just have to hope there isn't another snow before then. My parents live in Montrose so I don't have to worry about reservations. There are other lower elevations available if needed.

Has anyone been to Peach Valley there by Montrose? Some short but moderately technical trails.

IMG_6182.JPG
PV Eagle.jpg

Reactions: tworley
Oh, that sucks. I debated what to do with my LJ because the front bumper doesn't have anywhere to attach a plate. I decided to zip tie it on for now to avoid a ticket or just giving the cops an excuse to pull me over. I drive through Bow Mar every day and those cops have nothing better to do.

I ripped mine off once and left it on the floor for a bit. Never had an issue. You might have to copy @jjvw and place it over your winch.

Reactions: jjvw
Last time I did John tried to rip it off to winch ;).

I was halfway to my meeting before I realized I forgot to quick affix it - figured the ticket was already headed my way anyway at that point.

I don’t go to Denver often, but when I do...

View attachment 197461
I don’t run a front license plate. Oh well.

I’m curious if I have a case of it being the wrong car since it’s not a 4D.
Are you friggen serious? Covid 19 had dried up all the cities income .. Better resort to senseless tickets to fill the gap! What did they pull you over for?

Are you friggen serious? Covid 19 had dried up all the cities income .. Better resort to senseless tickets to fill the gap! What did they pull you over for?

These are meter maid tickets, so I was parked near cherry creek for a meeting. I’ve gotten a few now across a few cars between Cherry Creek and the Highlands and still forget since I’m down in Denver proper maybe twice a year.

I’m sure late night they could use this as a reason to pull over for DUI checks.

That looks like the tickets we got from the Denver parking enforcers when my office was in the Highlands. Our office calendar had reminders about street sweeping days so you knew when not to park on different sides of the street, but if you forgot they were on you quick. At first it was a $25 ticket but after the recession around 2008 they doubled it to $50 to make up for lost tax revenue. Then they made a bunch of the streets for residential parking only with a permit, and our office building that had been there since the 70s got zero permits, so we had to scramble to find spots while whole sections of the street sat empty because the residents had driven their cars off to their offices. :mad:

• Angry
Reactions: rasband
That looks like the tickets we got from the Denver parking enforcers when my office was in the Highlands. Our office calendar had reminders about street sweeping days so you knew when not to park on different sides of the street, but if you forgot they were on you quick. At first it was a $25 ticket but after the recession around 2008 they doubled it to $50 to make up for lost tax revenue. Then they made a bunch of the streets for residential parking only with a permit, and our office building that had been there since the 70s got zero permits, so we had to scramble to find spots while whole sections of the street sat empty because the residents had driven their cars off to their offices. :mad:

My sister is in the highlands, anytime I’m there I now park in their driveway with my front facing in. Come on private property and ticket me, I dare you!

I guess I should be glad the price hasn’t changed since 2016 (2017?) when I got my other missing plate ticket in a different car! I bet instead of changing the value they change the enforcement frequency... because that’s pretty pricy for something that isn’t endangering anyone.

I haven’t had a plate on my TJ since I moved to Colorado in 2011 and I’ve never had an issue. I hope I didn’t just jinx myself. In fact, I don’t even know if I know where the plate is in my garage. I guess I’ll keep rolling the dice.
If I have to resolve it I was thinking of getting one of these.

Rugged Ridge 11238.07 Bracket Hawse Lic Plate https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008IR051G/?tag=wranglerorg-20

I was able to find one that is QD for Thule offroad and then easily reattached for street driving. I’ll try to see if I can find a link.

Reactions: TJ Starting