Colorado Krew Hangout

You might be able to run Spring Creek but I wouldn't do it alone. My Jeep is broken and will undergo a refresh this winter. I think I broke its spirit too...

You might be able to run Spring Creek but I wouldn't do it alone. My Jeep is broken and will undergo a refresh this winter. I think I broke its spirit too...
Looking at Trails Offroad, I think Spring Creek would be just beyond the current limits of my jeep and it’s operator. I don’t have lockers yet or a winch. I’d definitely try it with more experienced drivers along someday.

Looking at Trails Offroad, I think Spring Creek would be just beyond the current limits of my jeep and it’s operator. I don’t have lockers yet or a winch. I’d definitely try it with more experienced drivers along someday.
go to Idaho Springs and head up Virginia Canyon Rd. There is a huge network of light to low moderate trails to explore.

Last edited:
Reactions: TRevs
I took @jjvw 's advice and went up Virginia Canyon Rd. then west toward Yankee Hill then down Fall River Rd. It was about 3 hours of off-road time. A few rocky sections were more than I was expecting, but I made it through without problems. Ran into light snow in the trees and got to drive through some water with 1/2" of ice on top.

IMG_8435.JPG
IMG_8437.JPG
IMG_8439.JPG
IMG_8442.JPG
Ice puddle.jpg
flying ice.jpg

I have a river project near Breck and due to the snow last week, haven't been up there since last Tuesday. To me this is obviously an active project; erosion logs, fresh blanket holding a seed mix down, tractor on site, fresh Mulch, etc. Went out today and saw this

20211018_153330.jpg
20211018_153329.jpg
20211018_153244.jpg
20211018_152242.jpg
20211018_151859.jpg
20211018_151745.jpg

Just...why? You can't stop and look at something for one second and think to yourself "this looks good and adds value to the area" and just continue down the trail? Why do you have to drive all over the site tearing up fresh seed and driving in/out of a brand new river channel? Nothing pisses me off more than irresponsible recreationists 🤬

I have a river project near Breck and due to the snow last week, haven't been up there since last Tuesday. To me this is obviously an active project; erosion logs, fresh blanket holding a seed mix down, tractor on site, fresh Mulch, etc. Went out today and saw this

View attachment 284700View attachment 284701View attachment 284703View attachment 284705View attachment 284706View attachment 284708

Just...why? You can't stop and look at something for one second and think to yourself "this looks good and adds value to the area" and just continue down the trail? Why do you have to drive all over the site tearing up fresh seed and driving in/out of a brand new river channel? Nothing pisses me off more than irresponsible recreationists 🤬
This is why trails and other areas get closed, but this isn’t even a recreational area! I’m angry too, this isn’t cool.

View attachment 284700View attachment 284701View attachment 284703View attachment 284705View attachment 284706View attachment 284708

Crap like this really pisses me off. Is this the Swan River restoration project?

It is. We're wrapping it up tomorrow with final drill seeding and mulching
That's a pretty awesome project. I got a tour of it a couple of years ago from Jason w/Summit County Open Space because the organization I was with contributed some funding toward the work.

That's a pretty awesome project. I got a tour of it a couple of years ago from Jason w/Summit County Open Space because the organization I was with contributed some funding toward the work.
Very cool. That would have been Reach A. We just completed our 5th year monitoring for that stretch.

Reactions: deadbeat son
I’d never heard of the project. It looks like a pretty monumental effort. Any idea the total cost so far of building a river?