jkowitz Build Thread

I have an 06 rubicon. I put 33's on pretty nicely with a 2 inch OME and 1.25 jks. Nice sime way to run 33's with out having to change out anything other the lower control arms. And if you want to run 35's you just need flat fenders and gears. ...

You are describing a bare minimum for 33s. From there, flat fenders do nothing to allow 35s.

Is the difference in drivability between 33s and 35s that noticeable? And we may have to air down and put the new wheels and tires on in the driveway LOL

Depends on the setup. My daily had 33s for many years up until a couple weeks ago, but the build from early on was intended for 35s and has a lot of focus on the suspension and fitting the various components together. It drove very well and went many places. If Holy Cross on 33s means anything to you, that is what my Jeep is. Then it goes to the grocery store.

I'm about 3 weeks into 35s, mostly on pavement thanks to covid19. Except for the added height and a slight decrease in power, I can barely tell a difference between 33s and 35s on the street. But again, I've been planning and building for 35s for many years in the lead up to the actual tire. The details will make or break how well it behaves.

Last edited:
2.5 inch lift, 3/4 inch puck to correct the Jeep’s front end slant, 1.25 inch body lift to allow for a much much needed tummy tuck and 33’s would be a really nice setup.

It would keep the Jeep low on 33 inch tires.

33’s done right will need a re-gear. Dont cheap out now.

if you are running 33’s and doing the whole overland type build, you are going to be adding some serious weight to the Jeep. A 17 inch wheel is perfect for a big brake kit.

The brakes on your Jeep are setup to stop a 29-30 inch tire. You are adding a much heavier wheel and a much heavier tire, not to mention all the gear for over-landing. Add the brakes for safety and peace of mind. You cannot go wrong with the BlackMagic kit.

If you want a really nice setup, add the hydroboost.

Reactions: taylormade73
I’ve run both, for over-landing I would go 33s, for crawling I would go 35s. Once I get my RTT done I would love to come down and meet you and your dad for a trip.
Thanks I'll have to check him out, and yes we're still going through training as of now. That would be cool a trip if you head down to SoCal, I'm always looking for new people to wheel with

Reactions: BuildBreakRepeat
2.5 inch lift, 3/4 inch puck to correct the Jeep’s front end slant, 1.25 inch body lift to allow for a much much needed tummy tuck and 33’s would be a really nice setup.

It would keep the Jeep low on 33 inch tires.

33’s done right will need a re-gear. Dont cheap out now.

if you are running 33’s and doing the whole overland type build, you are going to be adding some serious weight to the Jeep. A 17 inch wheel is perfect for a big brake kit.

The brakes on your Jeep are setup to stop a 29-30 inch tire. You are adding a much heavier wheel and a much heavier tire, not to mention all the gear for over-landing. Add the brakes for safety and peace of mind. You cannot go wrong with the BlackMagic kit.

If you want a really nice setup, add the hydroboost.
Thank you for the advice! I've definitely been looking into the tummy tuck. I've already bought a 4 inch lift and I'm not sure if adding a 1.25 body lift will be too much for 33's. I guess I can start at the 33 and move up in the future when I feel ready for it. I'll definitely be looking into that big break kit!

Thank you for the advice! I've definitely been looking into the tummy tuck. I've already bought a 4 inch lift and I'm not sure if adding a 1.25 body lift will be too much for 33's. I guess I can start at the 33 and move up in the future when I feel ready for it. I'll definitely be looking into that big break kit!
You can always build for 35’s over time and run 33’s. Thats what i did for a good while before i made the jump and my Jeep performed great in that setup.

The 1.25 body lift opens the door to several significant modifications.

This is 4+1.25 with 33s.
20200122_143230.jpg

Compared to 35s
20200410_143821.jpg

... Do you know if the flat fenders are necessary for the 35's?

That is a loaded question, one that is pretty thoroughly and recently discussed in my build thread. The quick answer is that 35s on stock upper shock mounts but an otherwise appropriate build will have far fewer conflicts with the stock front fenders than mine does.

That may be the best way for me to go. What are the most important upgrades you did to prepare for 35's?
My Jeeps a bit of an odd one but it had a dana 35 so i swapped it for a Ford 8.8 after destroying an axle shaft on Slick Rock, i have a cavfab 1 ton steering (i would do Currie if i did it again) Chromoly front axle shafts In the Dana 30 and an altas because i managed to destroy my transfer case at Hollister. Im running 4.56 gears which aren't too bad but i will be having the gears changed to 4.88 and a set if arb’s installed after i go through A school. I would also like to do a big brake kit as 35’s have hindered my braking abilities more than i initially expected. Your Jeep will be different than mine im what needs done as it it a Rubicon so yours is already a better starting point than mine was.

That is a loaded question, one that is pretty thoroughly and recently discussed in my build thread. The quick answer is that 35s on stock upper shock mounts but an otherwise appropriate build will have far fewer conflicts with the stock front fenders than mine does.
Thanks I'll have to check out your build!

My Jeeps a bit of an odd one but it had a dana 35 so i swapped it for a Ford 8.8 after destroying an axle shaft on Slick Rock, i have a cavfab 1 ton steering (i would do Currie if i did it again) Chromoly front axle shafts In the Dana 30 and an altas because i managed to destroy my transfer case at Hollister. Im running 4.56 gears which aren't too bad but i will be having the gears changed to 4.88 and a set if arb’s installed after i go through A school. I would also like to do a big brake kit as 35’s have hindered my braking abilities more than i initially expected. Your Jeep will be different than mine im what needs done as it it a Rubicon so yours is already a better starting point than mine was.
I've heard some good things about the Currie steering, but I went with a different setup that I'm going to install when we put my lift on. Sounds like your jeep has been a labor of love and like it's going to be well built

Reactions: Justin Homan
I've heard some good things about the Currie steering, but I went with a different setup that I'm going to install when we put my lift on. Sounds like your jeep has been a labor of love and like it's going to be well built
Thank you, i cant wait to see what you do to yours!

Reactions: jkowitz

Which steering? If it is cross over, you're about to screw things up.

Reactions: Rick Flair