JL Wheels on TJ: Good or bad decision?

Thank you for confirming this for me. Once again.

I'm having stock JK rims and tires put on wednesday. And I bought 2" adapters so they would clear and not rub. My tires now (31's) rub alot. And I'm tired of not having my turn radius. And rubbing on my suspension. I was worried I'd gotten to big of an adapter. But your the 3rd or 4th post stating that 255's rub with a 1.25' adapter. Hopefully that extra .75" will clear. And not have my tires sticking out to wide. They are 255/70/17's IIRC. I guess I can have a couple washers put in my stops. But would like to not have to do that and loose some of my turning radius.

Anyone got a guess on how far the tires will stick out on a stock '99 TJ with standard flares - using a 2' adapter?

OP those wheels and tires look great! Either way you go - adapters or more lift - I'd go for it. Rubbing is a PITA. I hate guessing how close I can take a turn. And I think mine are rubbing on the side of my shock too. Luckily my tires now have big knobs on the outside edge. So they are taking the brunt of the rubbing. My new JK tires are just radials - not off road tires really. Without alot of rubber on the outside edge. Will probably rub the not so thick sidewalls of a stock JK tire. SO I want to make sure they don't.

Post up pics when you have the new wheels mounted. I'm running JK Pintlers now, with my 1.25" thick adapters which gives me an overall backspace of about 4 inches. I still rub the control arms a bit with my Mud Terrains. I'm going to fix that with aftermarket control arms and washers if they rub with my fancy new control arms. I'd run 2" spacers, but that would put me at a 3.25 backspace, and I think it would negatively affect my scrub radius. Plus...I feel like I have the perfect amount of tire extension past my Rubicon flares right now.

1546204249656.png

Something else I've noticed...The factory wasn't very precise when they set the steering stops. Mine are about 1/16 inch different. I was getting rubbing when I turned full lock one direction but not the other (even with stock wheels and tires). I chased centering my axle for quite a while until I actually measured the steering stops...my drivers side is longer than my passenger side...which account for why I rubbed on that side. I tried to get them out of the knuckle...but they are rusted in solid. I'm going to replace the knuckles sooner or later (have the new ones ready to go) and will fix it at that point.

Post up pics when you have the new wheels mounted. I'm running JK Pintlers now, with my 1.25" thick adapters which gives me an overall backspace of about 4 inches. I still rub the control arms a bit with my Mud Terrains. I'm going to fix that with aftermarket control arms and washers if they rub with my fancy new control arms. I'd run 2" spacers, but that would put me at a 3.25 backspace, and I think it would negatively affect my scrub radius. Plus...I feel like I have the perfect amount of tire extension past my Rubicon flares right now.

View attachment 69920

Something else I've noticed...The factory wasn't very precise when they set the steering stops. Mine are about 1/16 inch different. I was getting rubbing when I turned full lock one direction but not the other (even with stock wheels and tires). I chased centering my axle for quite a while until I actually measured the steering stops...my drivers side is longer than my passenger side...which account for why I rubbed on that side. I tried to get them out of the knuckle...but they are rusted in solid. I'm going to replace the knuckles sooner or later (have the new ones ready to go) and will fix it at that point.

What size tires are you running on your Pintler’s? I am considering Pintler’s w/ 285/70R18 but I’m reading that I will need 2” adapter?

Right now I have stock Moab’s with 1.25 spacers and 265/75R16.

285/70r17

So your Stock JK wheels rubbed with the 255/75R17 MT's?

I'm running the same setup, and don't have any rubbing, but I think I added washers years ago when I moved to 31's.

Is it safe to assume that 285/70R17 tires would be problematic on the JKU Moabs?

So your Stock JK wheels rubbed with the 255/75R17 MT's?

I'm running the same setup, and don't have any rubbing, but I think I added washers years ago when I moved to 31's.

Is it safe to assume that 285/70R17 tires would be problematic on the JKU Moabs?
I think you will have issues with that wide of tire unless you have 2" adapters.

What size tires are you running on your Pintler’s? I am considering Pintler’s w/ 285/70R18 but I’m reading that I will need 2” adapter?

Right now I have stock Moab’s with 1.25 spacers and 265/75R16.
Do they make an 18" Pintler wheel?

Threads. Big fan of the new JL Rubicon wheel. I think it's the nicest looking wheel Jeep has designed.

Not a big fan of the selection of aftermarket 15's. They remind me of the early 2000's a bit too much.

Love the factory clean lines of the Moab's, but I hate the tire selection. These JL wheels might be what I'm after.

Let us know if a 2" spacer does the trick.
I've also been reading the lugs on the JL's are larger than the JK. Keep that in mind as you're shopping for adapters.

Good call. I think that we're moving towards 17" being the standard for off-road wheel size. The JKs come with 17" wheels, the JLs do, and that alone is dictating a lot of what the tire manufacturers are doing.

I don't regret going to 17s at all. I would never go larger than 17" on my TJ though.
So @Chris I'm ready to pull the trigger and I lost my info on what spacers you and others are running. kindly remind me please sir. Going 5x4.5 to 5x5 and need about 1.5" spacer/adapter. Can't find the post with the info on the best/safe ones. Thanks in advance

I like the new JL Rubicon wheel , but I like it the most on the new JL Rubicon .

I like to see vehicles period correct for the most part ...I'm sure some of that is age and I'm sure some of it is just personal preference .

Reactions: TJRick and Fonz54

And are you running JK or JL wheels? I have stock JL's from my 2018 Sport-S that I'm planning on using, and someone said something about JL lugs being larger so still want to make sure they fit. Do your tires stick out at any with the 1.25" adapter? I have stock suspension with 2" budget boost and running 32"s currently with only a little scrub at full lock on one side only.

And are you running JK or JL wheels? I have stock JL's from my 2018 Sport-S that I'm planning on using, and someone said something about JL lugs being larger so still want to make sure they fit. Do your tires stick out at any with the 1.25" adapter? I have stock suspension with 2" budget boost and running 32"s currently with only a little scrub at full lock on one side only.

I run JK wheels. With the JK backspacing, those 1.25" wheel spacers end up being perfect. The backspacing on JL wheels is different though, and I believe you'll need an even bigger spacer.

Reactions: Jeepneck
I know a spacer is unacceptable to some, but until I get radical off road it is acceptable to me.
Do you? So you understand that you are adding more track width to your axles which is adding stress to your factory axles and axle housings...
Bumpstops are a new concept to me and I wonder why we spend money on suspension and then limit the travel.
Also, with those wheels and tires you are severely limiting what your Jeep suspension was meant to do. You have limited your uptravel..and for what?

I wonder why we spend money on suspension and then limit the travel.
You wouldnt limit the travel with the right size tires on the Jeep.

Have you regeared your axles for the bigger tires?

Reactions: chad