JL Wheels on TJ: Good or bad decision?

Np Joey, That looks fantastic. After this post I too purchased a set of JL takeoffs, the same ones you did.

Reactions: Joeycarnuba
Here's mine

IMG_20190411_173940.jpg

For the spare tire, I'm using the factory tailgate mount, with a 1.25" adapter I got from Amazon. The spare just touches the rear bumper but doesn't really interfere, but as you can see, I have a low profile bumper/hitch that I made. Its little details like that you forget about and why I was hesitant to say "yes, they fit" in a previous post. It's easy to forget about some modifications you made a long time ago, lol. The tires do rub the control arms in the front, but not bad enough for me to stress over and no worse than before with my old 33x12.50R15's and 3.75" of backspacing.

yeah I noticed you had a different rear bumper. It's interesting that your 33x12.5 R15 with the 3.75" backspacing rubbed on the control arms because I have the same exact set up on mine right now and I have 2" of clearance between my tire and my control arms at full lock. Maybe my steering stop bolt is set differently.

Here's a look at mine with 1.5" adapters. These tires make the Jeep feel like brand new. It's a night a day difference from the 33x12.5r15s that I was running. I don't have any rubbing with the 1.5" spacers, in fact I have a good 3/4" of clearance between my control arm and my tire at full lock.

20190424_190046.jpg

Reactions: kmas0n
Here's a look at mine with 1.5" adapters. These tires make the Jeep feel like brand new. It's a night a day difference from the 33x12.5r15s that I was running. I don't have any rubbing with the 1.5" spacers, in fact I have a good 3/4" of clearance between my control arm and my tire at full lock.

View attachment 90162
Jeep looks great with the wheels and tires!
What size lift do you have and are you happy with the switch? Going to pick up a set tomorrow.

Jeep looks great with the wheels and tires!
What size lift do you have and are you happy with the switch? Going to pick up a set tomorrow.

Thanks! I have a 3" Zone lift and 3/4" spring spacers up front . I'm very happy with the ride. It rides smooth and tracts down the road much better now and the scrub radius feels proper. But I do miss the wide stance that my old wheels and tires had. Here's a look at the before and after photo.
20190307_183756.jpg

20190509_214237.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: ShredAZ and Artemis
Thanks for the quick response. Which adapters did you go with?
The Jeep looks great and is exactly what I wanted to see for my black LJ!

Thanks! I have a 3" Zone lift and 3/4" spring spacers up front . I'm very happy with the ride. It rides smooth and tracts down the road much better now and the scrub radius feels proper. But I do miss the wide stance that my old wheels and tires had. Here's a look at the before and after photo.
View attachment 96833
View attachment 96834
IMO the JL wheels look far better than the ballooned tires you had on their.

Good call. I think that we're moving towards 17" being the standard for off-road wheel size. The JKs come with 17" wheels, the JLs do, and that alone is dictating a lot of what the tire manufacturers are doing.

I don't regret going to 17s at all. I would never go larger than 17" on my TJ though.
You really went to 17s LOL. But really, the 16 moabs are getting really hard to find. That makes the17s attractive to me. Load range seems to be a problem and I sure don’t want the P or the E rated tires.

You really went to 17s LOL. But really, the 16 moabs are getting really hard to find. That makes the17s attractive to me. Load range seems to be a problem and I sure don’t want the P or the E rated tires.

I love the 16" Moab wheels, but the lack of tires available for 16s is a major deal breaker for me.

Reactions: ShredAZ and Starrs
So how do you like it now?
I love the ride but with the new tires and love the look of the new wheels. 35” tires would look better but not looking to do the work necessary. The 1-1/4” spacers worked great and I have no scrubbing at all.

Overall I happy with the switch. Now just waiting on the 5th spacer to install the spare.(Slipped my mind when order the first 4)