Using JL wheels on a TJ

I had gotten the kit at DPG Off-road which comes with a 2.5 inch old man emu suspension lift and a JKS 1.25 inch body lift for a total of 3.75 inches of lift. At the time I was doing my research this setup came highly recommended. At the same time I bought the wheels and tires I also did a regear to 4:10’s and a Super Dana 35 Kit with e-locker in the rear and just a carrier change for the regear in the front axle. I love the setup and have no regrets except the gas mileage that I lost. I use this as a part time daily driver and with gas prices where there at it’s not any fun at the gas pump. I will eventually put a locker in the front axle along with changing out the axle shafts with something a little stronger. I’m completely satisfied with how it all turned out and you will be too if you go with this size lift and wheel combo.

Thanks for the reply! Looks great! When you did the body lift, did you do the engine lift with it as well? Did it affect your shifting or transfer case?
Thanks

Yes the DPG kit came with a JKS 1" motor mount extension and I upgraded to the brown dog motor mount for an extra $75.00. I don't think from what I read that I would have done the body lift without the motor mount extension. After install I had no problems with the transfer case hitting the skid plate or shifting.

I'm looking at ordering these adapters from TireShopSupplies. Exactly what have people been ordering for LJ wheels on a TJ? Here's what I gathered by looking at the drawings of the SpiderTrax adapters for JK to TJ. I've highlighted the options that I'm not entirely confident in. Starting with the "STANDARD CUSTOM WHEEL ADAPTERS - SAME LUG COUNT" I selected the following options:
Lug Count: 5
Vehicle Pattern: 4.5" (114.3mm)
Wheel Pattern: 5" (127mm)
Largest Pattern (I don't really understand what this option indicates): 5" (127mm) (+$9.00) (+3 lbs)
Thickness: 1.5"
Hub Centric: Yes...(+$50.00)...
Vehicle Hub (in mm): 71.628 (Sourced from SpiderTrax drawings)
HC Only: Wheel Center (in mm): 71.374
Adapter's Stud Size: 14mmx1.5
Lug Nuts (To attach adapter): 1/2x20

I'm looking at ordering these adapters from TireShopSupplies. Exactly what have people been ordering for LJ wheels on a TJ? Here's what I gathered by looking at the drawings of the SpiderTrax adapters for JK to TJ. I've highlighted the options that I'm not entirely confident in. Starting with the "STANDARD CUSTOM WHEEL ADAPTERS - SAME LUG COUNT" I selected the following options:
Lug Count: 5
Vehicle Pattern: 4.5" (114.3mm)
Wheel Pattern: 5" (127mm)
Largest Pattern (I don't really understand what this option indicates): 5" (127mm) (+$9.00) (+3 lbs)
Thickness: 1.5"
Hub Centric: Yes...(+$50.00)...
Vehicle Hub (in mm): 71.628 (Sourced from SpiderTrax drawings)
HC Only: Wheel Center (in mm): 71.374
Adapter's Stud Size: 14mmx1.5
Lug Nuts (To attach adapter): 1/2x20

Here's my write-up on doing exactly that. Make sure you use the larger 13/16 lug nuts or you won't have a proper seat.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/codamans-2004-jeep-wrangler-rubicon.9347/post-789675

Well, I was hoping to get adapters with the proper M14x1.5 studs so that I can use actual JL lug nuts.

I saw that some company will make them but they're over $500 a set. After all my research I found that using the 13/16 hex lug nuts was just as good as the larger studs and a lot cheaper.

I used this set of 23 nuts from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QW2WPF6/?tag=wranglerorg-20

No issues so far.

IMG_2118FLARE2.jpeg

Also, I bought extras of these wheels when they came up, both for a spare and to go on my camping trailer, and ended up with more than I needed.

So I have a set of 5 of these in North GA for $150 if anyone wants them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shank and kmas0n
Reactions: Shank
I ended up ordering these and they should be delivered today:
https://lugnutguys.com/products/whe...x4-5-to-5x5-jl-wheels-1-25-thick-14x1-5-studs
They claim to come with the JL-appropriate 14x1.5 studs and were $105 for 4. We'll see... I assume Chinese manufacturing. They make a 1.5" thick adapter/spacer too but they're out of stock and, based on my measurements, I preferred the 1.25" thick adapters. I'm hoping I don't need to replace the rear axle studs with longer ones. They currently have only 1" of exposed threads... obviously sufficient for factory rims but I have no idea how thick the lug nut recesses will be on the adapters. I used to run 33x10.50 BFG MTs on the old "Grizzly" wagon wheels on my 1998 and I just had to put a couple of washers on the steering stops so the tire lugs didn't clip the control arms.

I guess I'll post the tech results here and start another thread with the visual results. I think she may end up being too sexy for the internet though.

Last edited:
I ended up ordering these and they should be delivered today:
https://lugnutguys.com/products/whe...x4-5-to-5x5-jl-wheels-1-25-thick-14x1-5-studs
They claim to come with the JL-appropriate 14x1.5 studs and were $105 for 4. We'll see... I assume Chinese manufacturing. They make a 1.5" thick adapter/spacer too but they're out of stock and, based on my measurements, I preferred the 1.25" thick adapters. I'm hoping I don't need to replace the rear axle studs with longer ones. They currently have only 1" of exposed threads... obviously sufficient for factory rims but I have no idea how thick the lug nut recesses will be on the adapters. I used to run 33x10.50 BFG MTs on the old "Grizzly" wagon wheels on my 1998 and I just had to put a couple of washers on the steering stops so the tire lugs didn't clip the control arms.

I guess I'll post the tech results here and start another thread with the visual results. I think she may end up being too sexy for the internet though.

These adapters appear to be pretty nice. They did have the proper hole size for the 1/2-20 TJ studs and also the proper M14 studs for the JL wheels. I've got the fronts on but the factory rear TJ studs were too short with only about an inch of protrusion. I wasn't getting enough thread engagement. I purchased new studs that I'll put on tonight and hopefully be done with this.

Since it is now Jeep season I just ordered the larger lug nuts to replace my stock set that I am running (and don't like) with JK wheels. Glad I saw this thread again.

Reactions: CodaMan
I guess I never posted my JL wheels results on this thread. Lug Nut Guys 1.25” thick adapters and they now have 7/8” M14x1.5 black lug nuts on there. 2.5” suspension lift (Some rough country, some Rancho parts), had to add a couple of washers to each steering stop so they wouldn’t buzz the front lower control arms at full lock. 285/70r17 Falken Wild Peak on what I think are stock JL Rubicon wheels.

EFEB2C99-024B-43CE-92A9-52A65868842B.jpeg

DD8B104C-DDDD-4CED-8A1C-62FEA22C01F1.jpeg

DEFCD6F3-A46B-46D8-BC1E-F458AEC648D3.jpeg

Last edited:
I used this set of 23 nuts from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QW2WPF6/?tag=wranglerorg-20

No issues so far.

View attachment 403440

Also, I bought extras of these wheels when they came up, both for a spare and to go on my camping trailer, and ended up with more than I needed.

So I have a set of 5 of these in North GA for $150 if anyone wants them.

Good day - do you still have any of those extra wheels. Just bought a set of 4 today and new a spare.

Thnx