Using JL wheels on a TJ

A bad alignment on my new to me 04 ruined a front tire being pulled behind my motorhome. It was a perfect time for wheel change. There are lots of new takeoffs for sale in Atlanta. I got these for just a few dollars more than two 33/12.5/15 would have cost.View attachment 286385
Im also shopping for takeoffs in Atlanta. Can I ask which ones you got and what you paid.

Im also shopping for takeoffs in Atlanta. Can I ask which ones you got and what you paid.

I picked up these outside of Charlotte last week for $400. 4 new, 1 has a few miles on it.

IMG_20211020_135854_Greatness (2).jpg

Reactions: red02tj
I was looking for Rubicon or Gladiator wheels. It seems they all start out at $1500.
These were barely used, close and available. I was supposed to get 5 for $1000, but when I got there the spare was just a stock jeep spare and didn't match. We already had the others loaded so we agreed on $800. I should have walked away as now I need to find a matching spare...but I needed the tires.

I was looking for Rubicon or Gladiator wheels. It seems they all start out at $1500.
These were barely used, close and available. I was supposed to get 5 for $1000, but when I got there the spare was just a stock jeep spare and didn't match. We already had the others loaded so we agreed on $800. I should have walked away as now I need to find a matching spare...but I needed the tires.
Are you guys using 245/75/17s or 255? There are tons of 245 gladiator takes offs but I was worried they would look too narrow.

Hello TJ'ers:
Thanks for posting this Codaman :) I am putting the same wheels on my TJ and was curious about the lugs. I will order these.
Hello fellow TJ'ers: I am hoping to put Gladiator 'Mojave Black' rims on my 98 TJ, and since I also plan to get new hubs I'm wondering if you can order replacement hubs that fit the TJ (with the 5.5 bolt pattern)? Thank you all — JD

I do have a 1.5 inch budget lift that I have not got around to install yet but I'm almost not wanting to install it if I can get away with no lift,

So 245 75 17 Bridgestone JL takeoffs will fit stock 2000 tj(2.5l)? Without lift and with 1.5 inch adaptors ? I picked up a set at a great price. (I did pick up the new lug nuts)

I went Tim D's route and ordered my custom wheel adapters from Tire Shop Supplies in San Bernardino CA and they made them with 1/2 x 20 lugs mounting to the TJ and M14 x 1.5 studs to the new Gladiator Mojave wheels I bought . I felt that the stud size was just too big to ignore. $345 with military discount which didn't seem to bad compared to lets say Bora wheel adapters which are like $600. I am going to wheel my TJ semi hard so it seems like money well spent. These are the wheels and tires I bought. I'll post pics on the jeep when I get them installed.
Jeep gladiator mojave wheels.JPG

319990-bc2174968f510515622d1e62e1fadd77.jpg

319989-a1cbad2bc5afef2d1244160666d0863d.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: PRNDL
I went Tim D's route and ordered my custom wheel adapters from Tire Shop Supplies in San Bernardino CA and they made them with 1/2 x 20 lugs mounting to the TJ and M14 x 1.5 studs to the new Gladiator Mojave wheels I bought . I felt that the stud size was just too big to ignore. $345 with military discount which didn't seem to bad compared to lets say Bora wheel adapters which are like $600. I am going to wheel my TJ semi hard so it seems like money well spent. These are the wheels and tires I bought. I'll post pics on the jeep when I get them installed.
View attachment 317985
What size tires are those? I have the same wheels off my son's Gladiator and was wondering if you could put 35's on them?

The ones I purchased with the wheels are 285/70/17. A 315/70/17 tire is pretty close to a 35" but requires minimum 7.5" wide rim which the Mojave wheels are 7.5" wide but that's a skinny rim on that size tire if you air down and wheel it hard.

The ones I purchased with the wheels are 285/70/17. A 315/70/17 tire is pretty close to a 35" but requires minimum 7.5" wide rim which the Mojave wheels are 7.5" wide but that's a skinny rim on that size tire if you air down and wheel it hard.
Thanks

I wanted to revive this thread since I just put JL Rubicon wheels on my TJ. My concern was, as mentioned above, the JL uses M14-1.5 (13/16" hex) wheel studs vice the 1/2-20 (3/4" hex) for the TJ. With the JL wheels using a larger diameter stud it also means the wheels have a larger hole for the lugs and finding an adapter with M14x1.5 studs that are hub-centric is about impossible unless you want to have them custom made for around $500.

What I did was purchase readily available hub-centric 5x4.5 to 5x5 adapters with 1/2" studs for $60 a pair. I used the OEM lug nuts to check the fit. I felt that there wasn't enough of the conical portion of the lug contacting the wheel, so I put a little grease on the lug, hand tightened it, removed it and looked for grease marks. My feelings were confirmed.

I went on the hunt for larger lug nuts and found 1/2-20 (13/16" hex) lug nuts on Amazon. Purchased a set and took some measurements. The diameter of the conical portion of 3/4 hex lug nut measured 22.75 mm and the 13/16 hex lug nut measured 23.85 mm, plus the conical portion was noticeably larger or deeper (see picture). I installed one with the grease test and found that the entire wheel had lug nut contact. These will work just fine.

Here are the lug nuts I used: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QM9WD6B/?tag=wranglerorg-20

View attachment 225098

Finished product

View attachment 225134

I’m ordering these today. What spacers did you go with? I’m trying to copy your setup since you’ve had no issues. Just bought 392 XR wheels for my LJR. Thank you for the great write up!

I wanted to revive this thread since I just put JL Rubicon wheels on my TJ. My concern was, as mentioned above, the JL uses M14-1.5 (13/16" hex) wheel studs vice the 1/2-20 (3/4" hex) for the TJ. With the JL wheels using a larger diameter stud it also means the wheels have a larger hole for the lugs and finding an adapter with M14x1.5 studs that are hub-centric is about impossible unless you want to have them custom made for around $500.

What I did was purchase readily available hub-centric 5x4.5 to 5x5 adapters with 1/2" studs for $60 a pair. I used the OEM lug nuts to check the fit. I felt that there wasn't enough of the conical portion of the lug contacting the wheel, so I put a little grease on the lug, hand tightened it, removed it and looked for grease marks. My feelings were confirmed.

I went on the hunt for larger lug nuts and found 1/2-20 (13/16" hex) lug nuts on Amazon. Purchased a set and took some measurements. The diameter of the conical portion of 3/4 hex lug nut measured 22.75 mm and the 13/16 hex lug nut measured 23.85 mm, plus the conical portion was noticeably larger or deeper (see picture). I installed one with the grease test and found that the entire wheel had lug nut contact. These will work just fine.

Here are the lug nuts I used: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QM9WD6B/?tag=wranglerorg-20

View attachment 225098

Finished product

View attachment 225134
I am ordering these exact lugs today. Where did you get your spacers? I want to run your exact setup since you’ve had no issues. I’m going to run 392XR wheels on my LJR so I’m thinking I need the 2in width. Thank you for the amazing write up.

View attachment 317985

View attachment 322028

View attachment 322029

I am looking at this same setup, do you have a lift on the Jeep? We have if so what size? We see this post was in April, any new updates or regrets with their setup? Thank you! The setup looks awesome!

I am looking at this same setup, do you have a lift on the Jeep? We have if so what size? We see this post was in April, any new updates or regrets with their setup? Thank you! The setup looks awesome!

I had gotten the kit at DPG Off-road which comes with a 2.5 inch old man emu suspension lift and a JKS 1.25 inch body lift for a total of 3.75 inches of lift. At the time I was doing my research this setup came highly recommended. At the same time I bought the wheels and tires I also did a regear to 4:10’s and a Super Dana 35 Kit with e-locker in the rear and just a carrier change for the regear in the front axle. I love the setup and have no regrets except the gas mileage that I lost. I use this as a part time daily driver and with gas prices where there at it’s not any fun at the gas pump. I will eventually put a locker in the front axle along with changing out the axle shafts with something a little stronger. I’m completely satisfied with how it all turned out and you will be too if you go with this size lift and wheel combo.

Last edited:
I have a 22 Gladiator max tow and currently working a deal with someone in Tucson for a set of Rubicon take offs. I'm thinking of putting my wheels and tires on my 05 TJR. Thanks for the write up Coda, you the man!!!

IMG_20220830_165143_877.jpg

IMG_20220830_165203_894.jpg