JL Wheels on TJ: Good or bad decision?

I just got off the phone with the shop. They did an experiment where they took another set of "take-offs" and put them on my Jeep. They said it drives as smooth as can be, no wobble at all. Night and day from the BFG K02. I looked this up and found other vehicles having the same issue with the BFG K02's not being able to be balanced. BFG is replacing them. Has anyone else heard about this?

I just got off the phone with the shop. They did an experiment where they took another set of "take-offs" and put them on my Jeep. They said it drives as smooth as can be, no wobble at all. Night and day from the BFG K02. I looked this up and found other vehicles having the same issue with the BFG K02's not being able to be balanced. BFG is replacing them. Has anyone else heard about this?

Did they attempt to balance your take-offs? They could just be poorly balanced. If the tires are causing the vibrations I wouldn't really call that "death wobble", just imbalanced tires (which can be common on larger tires).

Did they attempt to balance your take-offs? They could just be poorly balanced. If the tires are causing the vibrations I wouldn't really call that "death wobble", just imbalanced tires (which can be common on larger tires).

No, I am taking them back to Discount Tire today to have them correct the balancing. I am going to have them road force balanced. When I picked the Jeep up today from the 4x4 shop they had left the other set of Jeep wheels on for me to test drive. It drove perfect, better than ever. They put my wheels back on and immediately had the DW at 46mph. These tires and wheels are brand new and came off a new 2019 Jeep. They took the TPMS out of the wheels and gave them to me. I took them to Discount Tire to have stems installed and balancing done. Now there is a problem. It has to be the balancing.

Fixed. I took it to Discount Tire in Decatur, TX. The manager, Chris, is a member of the North Texas Jeep club. He found that the tires had various amounts of water inside. A few had probably close to a half gallon. He emptied them, balanced and all is great.

Reactions: Artemis
How would water get inside? Condensation from an air compressor?

I need to take a better picture, but absolutely love the JL Rubicon wheels on the LJ. No rubbing issues. Have about 4.5" total lift between the lift kit and the body lift. 1.5" adapters.

The spare wheel/tire dwarfs the rear of the Jeep. Hard to believe it's actually riding around on four of them.
TJ Rubi.jpg
Rubi rear.jpg

I think the JL wheels look great in TJ’s, BUT, if you do off-roading, they don’t have enough of a dish to avoid much damage. Love for a DD though! I’ve almost gone that route

How would water get inside? Condensation from an air compressor?
It turns out that they guy I bought the tires from left them outside in the rain with the beads broken, then he washed them before I picked them up. I didn't even notice water in them when I picked them up. Discount Tire just aired them and balanced them like that.

Reactions: kmas0n
I am very happy with the JL wheel addition. I used 1 1/2" Rough Country adapters. For the spare tire I purchased a single 1 1/4" adapter from Amazon for $24. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MYMUGD2/?tag=wranglerorg-20
This adapter pushes the mounting point out just enough for the larger wheel and tire to be mounted without any other modifications. The brake light is just above the tire as well.
7F378136-3396-4CA2-B1B5-FBC8DD0AA1C8.JPEG
B3F118E1-A40B-4151-9D2E-004A8F46C56E.JPEG
EFAEBB7C-A6F3-42A8-900F-F065C0146E3C.JPEG

2uukU5aVVgGtmb8-82oSBiQ0maofsFHyF_w=w2304-h1066-no.png

Got the 2" bds springs on today. Used a 1/2" OME spacer up front for just a tad more. Also got a 1/2" body lift but I may just leave it how it is. Barely any vibes at all, I was wondering if adding a little more to the front would help the rear DS angle. This is much better than my last 2 TJ's with 2" BDS springs. LOVE the way it drives now, god those E rated tires were so bad, these are like clouds. 33's are perfect for the Rubicon gearing too. I don't think she's bad looking either!

Not a great photo, but here is my wife’s 97 with 18” JL wheels from a Smoky Mountain Edition. Presently on 2” spring pucks (from PO) and saggy stock springs but we have some new-ish JK springs and shocks to install soon to hopefully get another 1-1.5” height gain from present stance. We have a few sets to play with, a 14/55 combo from a soft top JK and a 17/58 combo from a JKUR.

754B5FEA-848D-4E2D-8870-7D339AFABE58.jpeg

Correction to previous post. Maybe those are off a JK after all. I’m honestly not sure. I was told they came off a 2019, but they look the same as back to 2017 Smoky Mountain Editions.

I have a 2005 Unlimited Rubicon (LJ) and I am looking into acquiring a set of JL wheels and tires, like MikeM1554 has on his Jeep, or like Acct21 has on his. But before I purchase a set of these wheels and tires I want to make sure I get the proper wheel spacers to avoid any tire rubbing while at full suspension flex and compression.

My Jeep is now equipped with a full Metalcloak short arm suspension; control arms, track bars, and springs, which give it 4.0" of actual lift. I am using the original factory Moab wheels, with 285/75/16 Open Country AT tires (32.8" diameter x 11.2" width), mounted up with 1.25" wheel spacers. The factory fender flares were removed by the previous owner and were replaced with Bushwhacker 6" wide flat fender flares.

Upon installing the complete short arm suspension I fully cycled the axles with the wheels and tires mounted in order to set the proper bumpstops length, which in my case came out to be 2.75" front bump, and 3.75" rear bump. I have full articulation without any tire rub whatsoever. Nor do I have any rub at full lock when turning.

The factory Moab wheels have 5.0" backspace with +13mm offset. I cannot find backspacing specs for the new 2019/2020 Rubicon wheels. The tires that come mounted on these new wheels are 285/70/17 which are virtually identical in diameter and width to my current tires.

I mention all of this because I would hate to change to the new wheels and find that I no longer can fully cycle my suspension.

So... what size wheel spacers/adapters should I get for the new wheels in order to approximately duplicate the current track width I now have with my Jeep setup as specified?

I have a 2005 Unlimited Rubicon (LJ) and I am looking into acquiring a set of JL wheels and tires, like MikeM1554 has on his Jeep, or like Acct21 has on his. But before I purchase a set of these wheels and tires I want to make sure I get the proper wheel spacers to avoid any tire rubbing while at full suspension flex and compression.

My Jeep is now equipped with a full Metalcloak short arm suspension; control arms, track bars, and springs, which give it 4.0" of actual lift. I am using the original factory Moab wheels, with 285/75/16 Open Country AT tires (32.8" diameter x 11.2" width), mounted up with 1.25" wheel spacers. The factory fender flares were removed by the previous owner and were replaced with Bushwhacker 6" wide flat fender flares.

Upon installing the complete short arm suspension I fully cycled the axles with the wheels and tires mounted in order to set the proper bumpstops length, which in my case came out to be 2.75" front bump, and 3.75" rear bump. I have full articulation without any tire rub whatsoever. Nor do I have any rub at full lock when turning.

The factory Moab wheels have 5.0" backspace with +13mm offset. I cannot find backspacing specs for the new 2019/2020 Rubicon wheels. The tires that come mounted on these new wheels are 285/70/17 which are virtually identical in diameter and width to my current tires.

I mention all of this because I would hate to change to the new wheels and find that I no longer can fully cycle my suspension.

So... what size wheel spacers/adapters should I get for the new wheels in order to approximately duplicate the current track width I now have with my Jeep setup as specified?

I use 1.5" adapters on mine and have no rubbing at all but I recommend, before you buy the spacer/adapters, you put a straight edge up against the wall of the new tire and measure from the wall edge of the tire to the mounting point on the back of the wheel. Then do the same thing to your existing wheel/tire to figure out how much difference there is between the two wheels. Then turn your old tire/wheel to full lock and measure the shortest distance between the inside of the tire and your control arm. Then do the math to figure out how much spacer you need.

For example if the new tire/wheel combo measures 7" of backspacing and the old tire/wheel combo measures 5" of backspacing then you have a 2" difference. Then if you measure 1" clearance between the control arm and old tire at full lock you know you have to buy at least 1.5" spacer to have about .5" clearance with the new tire/wheel combo. This should work since both tires are so close in diameter.

20200110_091104.jpg

Last edited:
I use 1.5" adapters on mine and have no rubbing at all but I recommend, before you buy the spacer/adapters, you put a straight edge up against the wall of the new tire and measure from the wall edge of the tire to the mounting point on the back of the wheel. Then do the same thing to your existing wheel/tire to figure out how much difference there is between the two wheels. Then turn your old tire/wheel to full lock and measure the shortest distance between the inside of the tire and your control arm. Then do the math to figure out how much spacer you need.

For example if the new tire/wheel combo measures 7" of backspacing and the old tire/wheel combo measures 5" of backspacing then you have a 2" difference. Then if you measure 1" clearance between the control arm and old tire at full lock you know you have to buy at least 1.5" spacer to have about .5" clearance with the new tire/wheel combo. This should work since both tires are so close in diameter.

View attachment 134452
Dang Joey... that makes total sense! How’d you get to be so smart???

I’m glad somebody out there (meaning you) uses their head for more than a hat rack. It’s obvious to all that my head is a hat rack!

Thank you for taking the time to make the astute observation and for sharing your advice.

Andrew

Reactions: Joeycarnuba