JL Wheels on TJ: Good or bad decision?

6511089A-2272-415D-8E4C-203ED432755F.jpeg
2778E75E-BF7E-4EFF-A9CD-3C3A280CDDBF.jpeg

Reactions: Joeycarnuba
Ok, here you see some familiar tires and wheels. They are true take offs a 2018 Rubicon. I got the the 5 wheels and tires for 1200.00 minus 100.00 dollars since the seller mislabeled his post and said they were KM2 tires. I got 100.00 off for that mistake. I looked online for a set of wheels with proper backspacing but I really could not find a set I liked enough to spend money on. These Jeep wheels are great looking. I am currently running a 1.5" spacer and a 1 1/2" body lift. At this time and the inside tire does rub the sway bar. The tire also rubs the bottom of the fender with not much effort. As is now the drivability of my Jeep is unacceptable.

I have found a 2" wheel spacer and may install that if a 2" lift does not resolve the tire rub to acceptable. A 2" spacer will put my tire outside my fender by 1/2". My fenders are wider than stock I think. I like the idea of a little tire showing. I know a spacer is unacceptable to some, but until I get radical off road it is acceptable to me.

I am limited by low garage clearance so I am trying to first address this issues with a 2" Rock Krawler Stock Mod lift. The lift will reposition the sway bar a little higher and hopefully reduce the amount of sway bar / tire contact to acceptable. I guess the bump stops with address the fender contact. Bumpstops are a new concept to me and I wonder why we spend money on suspension and then limit the travel.

These photos are with no lift installed and I am running fine around town as is but I have to be careful.

View attachment 69835

View attachment 69836
I have the same wheels and tires for my LJ. I cannot find an adapter the will accept the larger lug that is stock on the JL. How did you get them to fit safely?

Will 33 x12.5 x 15 KO2's fit on my stock TJ 15" rims or are the tires too wide for the rims?

Will 33 x12.5 x 15 KO2's fit on my stock TJ 15" rims or are the tires too wide for the rims?
That depends on the width of you stock TJ wheels. Typically 8" to 10" wide wheels are recommended for 12.5 wide tires. If you have the Canyon wheels they should fit.

Just bought those exact wheels with 255/70x18's for my TJ. What brand spacers did you get? And do you think a lift is necessary?
There are several brands of spacers available. I used 2" they worked best. Try them first, but I think you will want a lift.

1st post for new forum member here. Very helpful thread. Thanks to all whom have contributed.

My wife just picked up a '97 TJ and is considering swapping from the stock(ish) 235/75/15 (29" x 9.3") tires for some JL take-offs, 255/70/18 (32" x 10") , and we're also looking for advice on spacer/adapter dimensions. I've read 1.25, 1.5, and 2.0" being used by folks in this thread. She doesn't mind a little bit of tire poke past the fender (if necessary), but won't enjoy any significant swaybar or control arm rubbing. What spacer thickness is most likely to prevent that?

I assume hubcentric spacers are required. Can someone please confirm before I buy some? Are any new or special lug nuts going to be required? I ran into that issue when putting 5th gen 4Runner wheels on my 1st gen recently.
Her Jeep is mostly stock now, except for what appear to be 2" spring spacers installed by a previous owner at some point.

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
Oh, I did have to change the speedometer gear because it was going 69 according to the GPS when the speedometer said 60. And it does seem to feel a tad slower now. Guess the taller tires act like a taller rear end gear ratio.

I just had some JK wheels installed on my 99 TJ. Purchased a set of 1.25” adapters from Amazon that worked great. Tires are a set of 30s that fit really well. Haven’t noticed any rubbing yet but it has only been two days.

BFC17A7B-72E3-40BF-BFAE-3E43C4B8AC28.jpeg

ED6B5BF8-42A6-4772-81A5-D01CE0F96CA2.jpeg

Here is my son swapping out his wheels and tires with a brand new set from a 2019 Rubicon. The tires are 285/70R17 BFG AT K02. I used the Rough Country 1 1/2" 5x4.5 to 5x5 adapters. The issue now is that I am getting the death wobble at 50mph. The wheels were balanced and the alignment checked. All joints are good. It is in the shop getting checked out now

F2420BEC-1889-4391-8BAB-E1F5D2DF44B0.JPEG

Here is my son swapping out his wheels and tires with a brand new set from a 2019 Rubicon. The tires are 285/70R17 BFG AT K02. I used the Rough Country 1 1/2" 5x4.5 to 5x5 adapters. The issue now is that I am getting the death wobble at 50mph. The wheels were balanced and the alignment checked. All joints are good. It is in the shop getting checked out now

Did anything else change at time of install? New lift kit?