JL Wheels on TJ: Good or bad decision?

Do you? So you understand that you are adding more track width to your axles which is adding stress to your factory axles and axle housings...

Also, with those wheels and tires you are severely limiting what your Jeep suspension was meant to do. You have limited your uptravel..and for what?

You wouldnt limit the travel with the right size tires on the Jeep.

Have you regeared your axles for the bigger tires?
Yep I realize the axels are under more load.
17" tires gives me lots of tire options and until I run into clearance problems I will continue to run them.
No I have not regeared, it feels ok to me so far.

I am sure this is not the final final version of my Jeep.

Adding a spacer is no different than using a wheel with less back spacing. Any added stress is identical between the two.

Regarding bump stops, something will always limit the suspension travel. The purpose of the bump stop is to be just long enough so as to be the first thing to stop the travel before damage to other parts can occur. While the bumps do limit movement , this would only be a fraction of an inch when properly set up.

Something to consider is that nearly every case of a blown shock or a broken shock mount is the result of inadequate bump stop extension. Again, something will always limit the suspension's movement. What do you want it to be?

I have a JL Rubicon, and a TJ. I also had the wheel adapters sitting on a shelf in the garage, so while doing a tire rotation I put it all together. This is what a TJ with 4" lift on JL rubicon wheels looks like. Everything clears beautifully. I have to admit I like the look, and I really like the way it drives.

IMG_20190403_170231.jpg

IMG_20190403_170033.jpg

IMG_20190403_092815.jpg

IMG_20190403_100658.jpg

JL Rubicon wheels and tires are essentially 33x10.5 so all of the mods you need to do to run 33s still apply. Proper bump stops, shocks, springs, track bar adjustments are required

JL Rubicon wheels and tires are essentially 33x10.5 so all of the mods you need to do to run 33s still apply. Proper bump stops, shocks, springs, track bar adjustments are required

Did you have any issues with the lug size? According to Extreme Terrain JL lugs are a different size.

Jeep Stock Wheel Sizes.JPG

And what size are your adapters? Not sure if JK and JL have the same backspacing. So wondering if I need 1.25", 1.5" or 2" for 32" tires and 2.5" budget boost.

I have 1.5" wheel adapters, the tires do hit the lower front control arms at full turn, but that's pretty standard for any tire larger than OE. TJ's and JK's use the same lugnut, so you can reuse the ones you have. JL's use a larger lugnut but that would only affect things if you were trying to bolt JK wheels onto a JL. They are referring to the size of the wheel stud, or the threaded bolt that you screw the lug nuts onto. The holes in a JK wheel might not be big enough for the larger JL stud. I have 2" bump stop extensions in the front with 3.5 Rock Krawler springs, and the tires will hit and bend the factory fenders without them. A budget boost works fine, just make sure you have bump stop extensions.
*edit* I'm not sure about JK vs JL backspacing, Google might know

I have 1.5" wheel adapters, the tires do hit the lower front control arms at full turn, but that's pretty standard for any tire larger than OE. TJ's and JK's use the same lugnut, so you can reuse the ones you have. JL's use a larger lugnut but that would only affect things if you were trying to bolt JK wheels onto a JL. They are referring to the size of the wheel stud, or the threaded bolt that you screw the lug nuts onto. The holes in a JK wheel might not be big enough for the larger JL stud. I have 2" bump stop extensions in the front with 3.5 Rock Krawler springs, and the tires will hit and bend the factory fenders without them. A budget boost works fine, just make sure you have bump stop extensions.
*edit* I'm not sure about JK vs JL backspacing, Google might know

Gotcha. If you were buying new adapters would you buy the 1.5" or 2"?

I would stay with 1.5"
I like the way they look, everything still clears nicely. They have that look of the more modern jeeps... the tires stick out past the flares, but only a little.
The only issue I can think of is that on the front, the tires rub on the lower control arms, but since all my stuff is custom, I am not sure how 1.5" adapters would work with the factory stuff.

IMG_20190402_183123.jpg

Reactions: Jeepneck
What
I would stay with 1.5"
I like the way they look, everything still clears nicely. They have that look of the more modern jeeps... the tires stick out past the flares, but only a little.
The only issue I can think of is that on the front, the tires rub on the lower control arms, but since all my stuff is custom, I am not sure how 1.5" adapters would work with the factory stuff.

View attachment 86675
what is custom?

This post is exactly what I needed. I just purchased JL Rubicon wheels for my TJ and I'm shopping for adapters. I've been wavering back and forth over 1.5" and 2" adapters. Thanks for the info kmas0n.
20190408_174355.jpg

Reactions: JMT and Jamison C