JL Wheels on TJ: Good or bad decision?

Went with the Gorilla type that puts a lock in every hole. Yea I know locks only slow a thief down, but if he has to bust off 20 or 25 locks instead of 4 or 5, he might move on. And that they all look alike is a bonus.

large.jpg

I looked long and hard for a reasonably priced set of JL take-offs but wasn’t able to find what I was looking for. I really liked the JL take-offs BFGs on my JKU. Ended up going with a set of JK Recon wheels I got for $200 and a set of new non-take-off 285/70R17 BFG KO2s I found a great deal on. It’s not what I initially set out to do but I’m really pleased with how it turned out, and I’m kinda glad I didn’t end up with black wheels on this Jeep.

4B0C8D88-9E83-4180-BE5A-64EA7AA8837C.jpeg

Reactions: JFace
My mom purchased a JL rubicon in 2018 and is looking to replace the wheels and tires with something else, obviously I stepped up an offered to buy them off her. SO...

After reading thread, after thread, I think I finally have it boiled down to what I need.

The wheels, obviously
A minimum of a 3" lift, preferably 4"
Wheel adapters, using some kind of thread lock, with 1.5 inch of space extension, prefereably hubcentric

If going with JK wheels, 1.25" spacing is enough, if JL wheels, it's 1.5", possibly 2" depending on your lift

Reading around it sounds like the JL's use a large lug size (M14 x 1.5) than what is supplied on our TJ's (1/2 x 20)

Anyone running with the JL wheels, did you get an adapter that went up to the appropriate lug size or just stay with the stock size? Any issues running with stock lugs on the JL wheels?

Im currently looking at the rough country adapters (1.5), and want to know if anyone here running them can tell me if they are a hubcentric adapter? I'd assume they are but would like to be positive before I pull the trigger on them.

https://www.roughcountry.com/wheel-...04-jeep-wrangler-tj-4wd-567837&sid=7KGo29rvJE

My mom purchased a JL rubicon in 2018 and is looking to replace the wheels and tires with something else, obviously I stepped up an offered to buy them off her. SO...

After reading thread, after thread, I think I finally have it boiled down to what I need.

The wheels, obviously
A minimum of a 3" lift, preferably 4"
Wheel adapters, using some kind of thread lock, with 1.5 inch of space extension, prefereably hubcentric

If going with JK wheels, 1.25" spacing is enough, if JL wheels, it's 1.5", possibly 2" depending on your lift

Reading around it sounds like the JL's use a large lug size (M14 x 1.5) than what is supplied on our TJ's (1/2 x 20)

Anyone running with the JL wheels, did you get an adapter that went up to the appropriate lug size or just stay with the stock size? Any issues running with stock lugs on the JL wheels?

Im currently looking at the rough country adapters (1.5), and want to know if anyone here running them can tell me if they are a hubcentric adapter? I'd assume they are but would like to be positive before I pull the trigger on them.

https://www.roughcountry.com/wheel-...04-jeep-wrangler-tj-4wd-567837&sid=7KGo29rvJE
Pretty sure they are hub centric on both ends...

I see you have the JL wheels installed. Looks great! I just purchased the same wheels/tires for my TJ. Did you end up going with the RC 1.5 adapters? What is the rest of your set up?
What adapters are you running to fit those JL wheels? I just picked up a set this weekend. Thanks!

I still like my JK Recon wheels, but if anyone in New England has a set of TJ Moabs with 285/75R16s and less than 10k miles and is interested in trading, let me know. (5) JK wheels, 285/70R17 KO2s and 1.25” adapters with 5k miles straight up, and I’ll drive. No issues... just thinking about making a change.

56DC488B-2C79-4FBE-9A51-F799772B2A7A.jpeg

I still like my JK Recon wheels, but if anyone in New England has a set of TJ Moabs with 285/75R16s and less than 10k miles and is interested in trading, let me know. (5) JK wheels, 285/70R17 KO2s and 1.25” adapters with 5k miles straight up, and I’ll drive. No issues... just thinking about making a change.

View attachment 222816
This looks SO right

Reactions: en480c4

View attachment 222816
What is this exact setup? What wheels are these? What size tires? What lift and what size wheel spacers? Any rubbing? LOOKS AWESOME!

View attachment 222816
also what year is your silver jeep with the wheels?

I am putting JKR wheels with 305/70/17 tures on my TJ that has 3.5" metalcloak lift. I ordered the 1.25" adapters and i have all kinds of rubbing issues so i just ordered these 2" adapters today hopefully they work. I love the way the wheels look so im really hoping they fit with the new adapters

Screenshot_20210218-182201_Amazon Shopping.jpg

FB_IMG_1610297952545.jpg

1610291200523.jpg

What is this exact setup? What wheels are these? What size tires? What lift and what size wheel spacers? Any rubbing? LOOKS AWESOME!
Thanks. 2005 LJ. JK Rubicon Recon wheels, 285/70R17 BFG KO2s and 1.25” adapters. Old Man Emu coils (2934 ZJ V8 front, 2949 LJ HD rear) netted about 3”. Had to add a washer to the steering stop due to a little rubbing on the control arm. Haven’t disconnected but expect I need to add some additional bump stop.

I'm still not seeing an answer for lugnuts with JL wheels. What lugnuts are being used? I saw where another member replaced his rear studs to fit the JL wheels?

You need adapters. Minimum 1.25" thick 5 x 4.5 to 5 x 5. Also, stock JK tires are 32's...which won't really fit on a stock TJ. If you go to a JL rubicon, they are a stock 33...Which means you'll need at least 3" of lift to get them on.

Very helpful answer! Thx!