JMT's idea: list one mod you regret

I regret doing a body lift without doing the motor mount lift. It took a lot of hacking at the fan shroud to get everything lined up right. I guess I saved $80 or so by not doing it though. I also regret my impulse buy of 35s on 17" aluminum rims. I like having 35s, but if I had it to do over I'd keep my 15" wheels and skip these wheels that needed 2" spacers.

I regret driving with a lowered transfer case for several years instead of saving up for a SYE (which I did a few yrs ago).

I also regret that I didn't re-gear earlier, especially when my front diff blew up (lunchbox). My Jeep was in my "friend/boss's" garage, and he heavily insisted I just fix the front axle instead of taking that opportunity to re-gear at the same time.

I regret not performing proper rust protection applications yearly on my body/frame from day 1.

I also regret getting the "heavy duty/XJ" steering linkage instead of the Currie. (I now have the Currie/Savvy).

You know, I'd have a lot less regrets if I just had money...

I regret driving with a lowered transfer case for several years instead of saving up for a SYE (which I did a few yrs ago).

I also regret that I didn't re-gear earlier, ...
I'd like to add these to my list as well. I've finally corrected the transfer case, still need to re-gear

You know, I'd have a lot less regrets if I just had money...
Ain't that the truth.... If I had the money to buy a Rubicon day one instead of a sport it would have made life a lot easier. I wouldn't have done an axle swap and wouldn't be constantly dreaming of a new transfer case. When I purchase my next jeep I'm going to take @Daryl's advice and just buy one that somebody already dumped a stupid amount of money into.

Ain't that the truth.... If I had the money to buy a Rubicon day one instead of a sport it would have made life a lot easier. I wouldn't have done an axle swap and wouldn't be constantly dreaming of a new transfer case. When I purchase my next jeep I'm going to take @Daryl's advice and just buy one that somebody already dumped a stupid amount of money into.
You know enough now to do that. But you needed the Sport to get you there! All trails lead somewhere...

So far @RiverDawg24 is taking the cake. Ruining a whole Jeep and spending thousands to do it!

You’d have more money if you just did it all right the first time! 🤣

Maybe not.

Down payment for a house or have @mrblaine build a jeep the right way the first time? Hmmmm :unsure:

Just kidding, Blaine. I already have a house and I've owned several jeeps, but I've never had a jeep built right the first time. If such a thing actually exists it would be worth every dollar.

IDK but I think it may refer to having typed "This will" twice.
Thank you both...aside from anything I put on the forum ...I'll deal with about 500 to 800 text and email exchanges a day... So proofreading is not even in the time budget sometimes and that's not a good excuse... My biggest problem is I think of something witty and can't wait to say it.

Maybe not.

Down payment for a house or have @mrblaine build a jeep the right way the first time? Hmmmm :unsure:

Just kidding, Blaine. I already have a house and I've owned several jeeps, but I've never had a jeep built right the first time. If such a thing actually exists it would be worth every dollar.
Built right is highly subjective. I much prefer built correctly to fulfill your needs to the fullest.

I haven't done any mods I regret, but I do regret owning my Jeep for over 11 years, and still running the t-case drop and 3.07 gears. I plan to remedy both of those within the next 6 months or so.

As far as the Bedtred, I have the Bedrug just in the front. It's OK, not really worth the cost, but I couldn't find any decent carpet that was any cheaper. Are you guys specfically talking about the Bedtred, that is like fake bed liner or something, or the carpet stuff too?

You know there may be a good opportunity for someone to develop a good carpeting or floor mat product for the Wrangler world... Basically make like " the bartact" of floor protection.

Agree. Bedtred. Fits poorly and is only worth $35. Not the $200+ I paid. That's what you get for going with reviews vs. Common sense.

I think too many people would rather say something is great rather than admit they were wrong. I think this is true about the tailgate conversion too.
Luckily I try to run anything I'm thinking of doing past these forum people first now.
One of the few places I've found honest opinions. Both good and bad.
Is this limited to just Bedtred or does Bedrug fall into the "crap" category as well?

Edit: Just saw that @89grand mentioned Bedrug

Last edited:
I regret going to 33's and re-gearing. Most would think I'm nuts, but the rabbit hole that those mods took me down was expensive and I have yet to find the bottom of said hole.

If and when I do it all over again, I'm going to stick to 31s and a 2" lift :)
As a dude that just put 2.5 inches of lift with 31's, this is really helpful. I will just stay where I am. I feel like even with 31's and a Dana 30-35 setup, it's already kind of a dog. I need to regear.