Just Empty Every Pocket

Pete Updike

Took my new to me TJ into a good friend of mines shop last week to get a transfer case leak taken care of. I told them go ahead and sevice it so I know where I am at with that.Well they started changing all the fluids like I ask and found big trouble. Metal filings in the differentials so they pulled both covers and both ring and pinons are toast. I ask the guy I bought it from that installed the rear locker if the gears looked fine he said oh yea they were in great shape. Anyway now with the re-gear it did have 3.73 gears so that is what is going back in I am out over 4 grand to fix all the problems they found. Including the transfer case plus new oil pan gaskets and repair both diff's oh well. It's always the things uou can't see that get you know matter how the rest looks. Oh and we only put maybe 150 miles on it sice we bought it!!

Last edited:
People let on like a re gear is something that most anyone can handle... I'm not saying it's rocket science... But if it isn't done correctly you're going to find out.

Reactions: Pete Updike
Yep I think that's what happened this time. But the folks that are doing it this time are very good folks I have had do work for me for years so I am not worried this go round!!

You sure you don't want to change the ratio while they're in there? It would make it more fun to drive if you have bigger than stock tires.

To me, 4k seems like a shitload of money for regearing and transfer case leak, oil pan gaskets and some other little stuff.

I don't know what you chickens are clucking about🐓. I just watched an episode of Truck Tech. So I ame as good as any ASE mechanic out there👨‍🔧. I'll set you up real good. Save you some money on some gears I found out back in the scrap pile too😉!

Reactions: F Troop
With labor rates starting at more than $100 it can send a simple job costing what a new car used to cost. The 70's had new cars at $2,500. That wasn't that long ago. And you were making $10/hr. Now they cost $25,000 and you are making $10.50. Must be an old man to remember and complain in the same sentence. Now get off my porch!👴