Just got a 42RLE, what do I need to know?

rasband

Dickhead 🍆
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
The title says it all, I just got my first 42RLE - what should I know? What do I need to know?

I'll start with the one big one I've seen so far: it runs hot, so get a good cooler.

Tell me more!

5.38 gears and start exercising your favorite button-pressing finger so you can go OD-less in town. But I figure you already know about both of those.

The title says it all, I just got my first 42RLE - what should I know? What do I need to know?

I'll start with the one big one I've seen so far: it runs hot, so get a good cooler.

Tell me more!

1. Derale cooler for which Jerry has a write up.
2. Gearing - overdrive is 0.69, dropping your rpm like crazy. I have 4.0,42RLE, 4.56 gears, and I would say that my 31.5 inch tires are too big for this gears. Ideal for 4.56 is 30.5 - 31. You need 4.88 for 32 inch, and 5.13 (or higher) for 33 inch.
3. Change the ATF+4 in it, it is sensitive to oil quality.
4. Replace the filter as well.

Tell me more!
What size tires are on it, what size tires do you plan on in the future, and what model year is your TJ?

2006, 35s and geared with 5.13s.
Great, it's geared properly. The main potential issue I'd be alert for happening is the TCM (transmission control module) was integrated into the PCM for the 2005-6 model years. Heat build-up inside there can cause it to (literally) blow which is fatal for the PCM/TCM. The bad news is another factory PCM won't fix that problem, it'll happen again. The good news is www.wranglerfix.com has a replacement PCM that permanently fixes the issue.

One more possible issue for 2005-6 models is the oil pump drive assembly aka OPDA can go bad and cause accelerated wear on the OPDA gear and/or camshaft gear. If you start hearing some chirping/screeching noises it's time to install one of the aftermarket OPDA fix kits. I believe the Crown brand to be the favorite for that fix.

Great, it's geared properly. The main potential issue I'd be alert for happening is the TCM (transmission control module) was integrated into the PCM for the 2005-6 model years. Heat build-up inside there can cause it to (literally) blow which is fatal for the PCM/TCM. The bad news is another factory PCM won't fix that problem, it'll happen again. The good news is www.wranglerfix.com has a replacement PCM that permanently fixes the issue.

One more possible issue for 2005-6 models is the oil pump drive assembly aka OPDA can go bad and cause accelerated wear on the OPDA gear and/or camshaft gear. If you start hearing some chirping/screeching noises it's time to install one of the aftermarket OPDA fix kits. I believe the Crown brand to be the favorite for that fix.

The Jeep isn't new, just the transmission I am asking about.

Reactions: tworley
Keep a chop stick in the glove box. I forget what the part is called, but there's some plastic linkage part in the shifter handle that breaks (it looks like a sex toy...) and a simple fix is to yank off the handle and replace the sex toy with a chop stick (or something similar, of course). I haven't had to do it yet so hopefully someone with more knowledge of it will chime in and verify or call me crazy. 😛

Keep a chop stick in the glove box. I forget what the part is called, but there's some plastic linkage part in the shifter handle that breaks (it looks like a sex toy...) and a simple fix is to yank off the handle and replace the sex toy with a chop stick (or something similar, of course). I haven't had to do it yet so hopefully someone with more knowledge of it will chime in and verify or call me crazy. 😛

Pushing a stick/pencil/pen down there also works until you can cut something to length.

Reactions: rasband