Kim's 99 Jeep Wrangler Build Thread

KimsJeep

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
When I get a vehicle I really like, I like to start build threads on them. It's really nice to be able to go back later down the road and see how far it has come. So here is my build thread for my 1999 Jeep Wrangler Sport. It will be a slow thread for a while as I kind of spent more then I should have on getting the actual Jeep. LOL I used my Liberty as a trade in, but I saved all the accessories that I had put on it, and will be trying to put some of that stuff on the Wrangler. Basically a bull bar and a LED light bar. The other stuff won't fit. Will probably sell that one day. :D

Here are some pics of it when I got it.

This is the night I drove it home. Pouring down rain and the windshield wipers were falling apart. Made for an interesting first drive. (well second drive since I did test drive it. LOL)

fullsizeoutput_32b0_zpskevqaavx.jpg

Interior.
dVIpBaIjSUmcynlL3kR6Bg_zpsdmiv8jkp.jpg

HjbvfOcTmqSRX60bNdrLg_zpsy0dzhdck.jpg

S4S8UdTOQ4aUXjMiYSSYzg_zpsp0byosbn.jpg

Here are some pics from the next day after getting it. Rainy weather so not the greatest shots. :D

fullsizeoutput_32da_zpsr06mqiyt.jpg

ji0hQkgaQ4KBtzucQFS67w_zpsla96bl4a.jpg

U9zQ8blvTQqQNHbTGtcFA_zps0ca2mjoe.jpg

Here's my first "fix". LOL There was a gap in the top so I did what any girl would do.

ki9nI2V0RaeeNaxbg0P4Q_zpscdyxqppz.jpg

Fixed it with a clothes pin. LOL It held up going to work and back today. LOL

sttJGN5NQQqZN6n1yvAuQ_zpskg1tuccc.jpg

I had to go buy some extra storage devices. Coming from the Liberty, there was just not enough storage in the Wrangler. ( I have since learned I can get a center console. I will be doing that asap.)
Yes, my favorite color is purple, and my Mom thought I should have some purple critters for my Liberty. (It was blue with purple everything. LOL) I moved the critters over the Wrangler and it will eventually get purple accents too.

BtGz9XgShGBgu7fwq9enA_zps9xktrk9g.jpg

Ax8EqqLzQsCBEfB9FYQC8A_zpsidlew9yw.jpg

The windows had some rips, so I fixed them with clear flex tape. Wish I would have went with the black. Oh well, I will eventually replace them anyway. :D

6X5PQ7SiQECs31BLTW4hfw_zpsaisdpv4u.jpg

Then lastly, for now, it got it's first sticker today. :D I love having a vinyl cutter. Can make things as I feel the urge! :D

fullsizeoutput_32f3_zpsphp9gxu8.jpg

I will update this thread as I do things to the Jeep. It may be slow for a bit do to funds and weather. I'm not one for wanting to work in the cold, even though Sacramento CA isn't cold to some, it is to me at times. LOL Thanks for looking. :D

Congrats on the new TJ, I remember when I spent too much purchasing mine too. I feel your pain. It only hurts more after the initial purchase, but you will always love it regardless. I am excited to watch it grow up. Love the pics. I might steal your idea of carrying my friends in the passenger side grab handle too.

The vinyl decal on the tailgate is a nice touch!

Reactions: Chris
I like the sticker, and it doesnt look pink in daylight! You dont have to rush thing, do your homework and see what other people have to decide what you like and learn from others mistakes...Tim

We finally had a nice sunny day here, so I decided to do some stuff to the TJ.

My heater knob came in, so that was an easy fix! Sure is nice to be able to adjust the heat. :D

tR95GXE3SUgs74ytwHLqw_zpsn3dbdtam.jpg

Then I added my angry eyes. I know, I know, that is old and not a thing anymore, but it is new to me and I kind of like it. All though, I do have my eyes on the Euro guards and I can paint those to match my theme eventually, so I may change to those one day. :D

fullsizeoutput_331b_zpsfqxyxgvm.jpg

I also took the jugs off the bumper. Looks so much better!! :D

fullsizeoutput_331d_zpsvymxiugy.jpg

fullsizeoutput_331f_zpsbq2igvnn.jpg

I also found a leak. Not sure yet what it is coming from but it is dripping off the differential in the front. I haven't smelled it to see if it is oil or gear oil. Will do that next time I go out.

b1zSQiYURlCai98F6IONAg_zpshzh8ifra.jpg

MbncucxSRaeerXx1sCygw_zpsuo9aeu7r.jpg

My next plans for it is to remove the side steps, and hopefully put "new to me" tires on it. They are better then the ones currently on it. That and my top is supposed to be here today, so I am hoping to get that on it tomorrow or Sunday. Need to make room in the garage so we can heat it up and get the top warm so it will be more manageable. :D

Will update next time I do something. :D

Have you checked the frame for rust yet? That will help you decide what is really needed for your build.

I took a hammer to it. Seemed pretty solid. I did that at the used car lot. I haven't actually raised it in the air yet and looked from underneath.

You should do that and take some pics...

I will do that. It's a CA Jeep so I'm thinking I am ok. It looks and felt solid on the side and bottom of the frame and from what I could see looking at the back side of the frame, it looks great. I'll post pics though once we can get it on the lift. Have a bug on it right now. Hubby needs to finish it before we can get it off.

that is what I primarily use it for in my business..Heat transfer vinyl for shirts and names and numbers for sports jerseys...the decals for the jeep are just a bonus. Really did not think I would get the use out of that I do but has paid for itself in spades.

Reactions: KimsJeep
Today we put better tires on it. Mine were almost bald. These have 2 that a really good and 2 that had twice as much tread as my old ones. They were free, so they will do for now. :D

cvl5Jwd5TFylBupFjw1G2g_zpss6eqdsty.jpg

RyhUsFWQryy3f1dW7z3g_zpsibjmkgie.jpg

While changing the tires, we found 2 bad studs and a bad wheel cylinder. Went and bought the parts to replace so the back will have new shoes and cylinders later tonight. :D

Put it on the lift and found the leak mentioned above so hopefully that is fixed. It was coming from the rubber hose for the transmission. Tightened the clamp. I did forget to check the mounts and u joints and all. I have a noise coming from under the Jeep when I start and stop. Like a rattle per say. I will try to check that here soon.

Also took some pics of the frame. It felt solid.

mPZcE8Q3mB0Hwz2hOS3w_zpsyc7a33to.jpg

Tv4qBUtrS1uH19z5pW50cg_zps6l3fklx9.jpg

6kTqciNtS3CxbCN4RX8DIQ_zpssdql6qhv.jpg

Now I get to go try to make room for it in the garage so tomorrow we can put the new top on. :D

Reactions: MountaineerTom
I dont know what the weather is like in Sacramento, but if you can, run a space heater or something in the garage to warm up the new top so it’s easier to install. They can be a pain when cold.

Or better yet, keep the top in the house overnight and take out when you ready to install

Reactions: Jbizzle15
I got the top on!! :D Did it all myself, except I got to the front latches and after trying for over an hour and even putting a buddy heater inside the Jeep to heat it up even more then what the sun was doing, I finally called my son to come and help me. LOL We couldn't get the header bar to sit on the windshield right. We ended up releasing the rear corners and doing it the opposite of what they say to do it. Even with that, we don't feel we got it on totally right, although it doesn't look bad from outside. Going to let it stretch for a bit, then next hot day we have I will loosen things up and try to get it to sit better.

Here are the pics.

This is the old frame.
fTFGg1DJS7qgo0qpOWGhCQ_zpsj8w1adyd.jpg

Old top coming off.

0V5w0txUS82hd9LHqUh94A_zpslu8bdmrd.jpg

coiVohHNR6UCJd14kAJpw_zpsyirmxmqh.jpg

New frames put together.

CpHiJlSmQYC5LLmGaqx0Aw_zpsvfe70suv.jpg

IKkJF0iYSzqkycKNmEGuHA_zpsyum6a1ii.jpg

I had to take the old brackets that the frame mounts to off the roll bar and put the new ones on. That is where the first problem came into play. I ended up having to loosen the bottom seatbelt bolt to allow the roll bar cover to move out enough to get it over the new longer bracket.

65Jw6X9ORnmau46PuwLxA_zpskbnilevp.jpg

NPOMuQidTeuMJ1FxWHAxOQ_zps6dcaxbxs.jpg

Next was installing the frame.

3zRq9GoRdqW3odhzknuw_zpsc2hnoigx.jpg

53SajyYpR3yEStvKyatBA_zpsowunyojl.jpg

Guess I forgot to take pics of the rear bar going on and then putting the strap on from the middle bar to the back bar. LOL Once that was done it was time for the top. I had laid it up on top of another car in the yard when I first started the project, so it sat in the sun for a hour or so. Got the canvas screwed to the header then started putting the rest together. So much for step by step. Forgot to take pics of that too. LOL

fullsizeoutput_334e_zpsyiteavw5.jpg

First corner in place. :D

P52YH5eS5aRyHPNI7h6Qg_zpsnql1vnaj.jpg

That's how far it had to come down.

Mm1FQWpTgG7qKMpE12lRw_zpshedfo2um.jpg

fullsizeoutput_334a_zps3dvwxfpl.jpg

Then it was time to latch the front down. That just wasn't happening by myself. I even had my buddy heater inside trying to warm it up more then the sun was. Course it was probably only 65 degrees outside, but I hoped the sun would have gotten it warm enough. Not.. LOL

CtFJHfCxSpao4WMl5u7s7g_zpsfoo3thxf.jpg

Here it is complete. :D

xB7OP9XkRJ6lun1zVyua7g_zpswasm11ed.jpg

fullsizeoutput_334c_zpso420o8hm.jpg

zwEuG4XQ7GMfhmFzarJw_zpsttsmw4na.jpg

If you look in the middle of the top in the last pic, you can see how it comes down really nicely to the window frame. Now look in the corner. It seems like it needs to go forward more to sit more flush like the center. We tried and tried to push forward, even releasing the rear corners and just couldn't get it to go any further forward. I'll try to get it on better once it stretches for a bit. For now, I'm hoping it is sealed good enough to handle the rain. :D

I want to see a pic of that Scamp! Those things tow nice behind a TJ.

This is the only one I have right now. :D

fullsizeoutput_3350_zpsczkefoub.jpg

I was hoping to be able to pull it with the TJ, but I think I want electric brakes. I just need to rewire the trailer because the dog chewed the wires up, and then get the stuff need to put on the Jeep. :D