Colorado Krew Hangout

What are you all set up for insurance-wise on your TJs? Full coverage? Liability?

I recently dropped the TJ to liability only with collision . CO requires collision and State Farm told me if its on one vehicle you own, it covers all other vehicles you have. The TJ was just the cheapest one so thats what I went with. I just paid my 6 month policy and realized its really not that much cheaper than full coverage. Maybe $150 cheaper for the whole year. Debating if I should go back to full coverage since I really am not saving that much

Reactions: lBasket
I have comprehensive/full coverage on both my cars since they are both DDs. Though working from home, that means a lot less than it does for others. I'm happy with any savings, especially with yours seeing very little road time (I am assuming?).

Reactions: tworley
I have comprehensive/full coverage on both my cars since they are both DDs. Though working from home, that means a lot less than it does for others. I'm happy with any savings, especially with yours seeing very little road time (I am assuming?).
Yes both the pickup and wife's car have comprehensive/full coverage which wont change. I thought I would see much larger savings by switching the TJ to liability and limiting the mileage to 5k a year. However its only about $13/mon savings. I suppose for that $13/mon I would feel better going back to full coverage which is much more robust in any scenario. Suppose I'll give them a call back and make some changes.

My only advice is to shop around and don’t hesitate to change insurance companies or ask for a discount for staying on. I was a 25-year USAA customer for insurance but one year the premiums spujed and we saaved hundreds by changing.

I suppose for that $13/mon I would feel better going back to full coverage which is much more robust in any scenario. Suppose I'll give them a call back and make some changes.
Putting it that way makes sense, it would suck to have that one time where it would have saved major headaches to save $13.

What are you all set up for insurance-wise on your TJs? Full coverage? Liability?

I recently dropped the TJ to liability only with collision . CO requires collision and State Farm told me if its on one vehicle you own, it covers all other vehicles you have. The TJ was just the cheapest one so thats what I went with. I just paid my 6 month policy and realized its really not that much cheaper than full coverage. Maybe $150 cheaper for the whole year. Debating if I should go back to full coverage since I really am not saving that much
I believe it’s uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage that acts as a blanket in CO and not collision coverage, but I could be wrong on that.

I have liability, comprehensive, and collision on my TJ, but the uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage is provided courtesy of my daily driver’s policy, also via State Farm.

i have full coverage on both of mine. on the red one, at advice of my insurance guy, i took it in and had it appraised and covered based on that, so he has a full spec sheet of everything done to it. according to him (and i'm not portraying this as gospel truth), there's really only two ways to get them to fully cover everything in the event of a total and it's to have it appraised and spec'd out or have receipts for it all. I plan to do the same with the white one once it's finished built. As far as cost, it was minimal difference between full coverage and just liability

I have full coverage on mine as an agreed value policy I believe is what it’s called. I had to get an appraisal. And you have to be able to prove the work done to it. That and I have a huge file with pictures and I have receipts and records for all the parts and things done to it. But I’m covered for $25k on it. It’s better than a standard policy coverage would have been based on local blue book pricing. I’m mostly worried about theft. If it gets wrecked I’ll buy it back and fix it. It was stolen years ago. I got it back minus the front doors , wheels and tires, stereo and a few items in it. I’ve also added multiple kill switches an alarm and a stand alone gps tracker to it. I’ll be getting a new appraisal this spring after all the changes on it also.

I plan on going back to full. With such little savings, its just peace of mind the more I think about it.

Honestly I am not worried about the value and trying to get something that is "agreed upon". Its a beat up piece of junk that I put into super precarious situations

I plan on going back to full. With such little savings, its just peace of mind the more I think about it.

Honestly I am not worried about the value and trying to get something that is "agreed upon". Its a beat up piece of junk that I put into super precarious situations
I’d much rather have my old beat up Jeep then the money. I beat the hell out of mine too. But I’ve also sank a ton of time and money into it over the years. So a theft or a crazy wild fire would be devastating and the payout would at least fund a replacement toy. I gotta say it was nice when the last bad hail storm payout funded an Atlas 4 speed Tcase and a new soft top. The hood, cowl and windshield frame that had hail damage are being replaced by me this winter but I took my sweet ass time with it and found deals on the parts. They were not necessary but since a buddy said he would swap a paint job for my old 4:1 Tcase I figured why not. So it should look pretty again for a few years.