Let's see your front bumpers!

Totally custom

IMG00408[1].jpg
IMG00417[1].jpg
IMG00418[1].jpg

Finally went with the Motobilt mid length stubby, figured I update here too since I was on this thread asking also.
I painted it with wrinkle coat for the time being and will eventually have it powder coated, but here she is with the lights back on. I have some really nice red powder coated shackles on the way also. I'm happy with it.
IMG_1245.JPG

Mine is in the middle. A lot of people don’t like smittybuilt but it’s simple and came with my Jeep lol. I don’t see myself changing it but if I do I’ll probably go with poison spider or motobuilt if offered in aluminum.

PS: This is the trip I discovered why you DON’T/SHOULDN’T store your shackles on your bumper like mall crawler jewelry... about drove me insane with the amount of rattling they made, until I realized what it was.

10DE2348-56FB-4CF9-A3FD-EC7D0CB8561F.jpeg

Mine is in the middle. A lot of people don’t like smittybuilt but it’s simple and came with my Jeep lol.

View attachment 151105

A long time ago Smitty stole a really nice bumper design from Currie, not unlike the weird looking basket thing on the right that they also stole from someone else.

A long time ago Smitty stole a really nice bumper design from Currie, not unlike the weird looking basket thing on the right that they also stole from someone else.

Is that why people don’t like them? I mean I love name brand stuff as much as the next guy, but if something does the job just as good then why spend the extra? Like why buy a Yeti when an Rtic cooler works just as well for cheaper? I definitely see the reason to buy name brand for some items though, like suspension or other “moving” parts.

Is that why people don’t like them? I mean I love name brand stuff as much as the next guy, but if something does the job just as good then why spend the extra? Like why buy a Yeti when an Rtic cooler works just as well for cheaper? I definitely see the reason to buy name brand for some items though, like suspension or other “moving” parts.
Better stitching on BestTop tops and the like.

It's a reason some don't like Smitty. There are plenty of other good reasons too. Lack of quality is the primary one. If Currie still sold that bumper, I would likely have it on my Jeep even if I could buy the lesser counterfeit version for a lot less.

It's a reason some don't like Smitty. There are plenty of other good reasons too. Lack of quality is the primary one. If Currie still sold that bumper, I would likely have it on my Jeep even if I could buy the lesser counterfeit version for a lot less.

I know “you get what you pay for” in most cases... but I’m curious what quality issues or lesser qualities exist in this specific part? I’d love to compare mine to someone that has the Currie one if someone is willing.

I know “you get what you pay for” in most cases... but I’m curious what quality issues or lesser qualities exist in this specific part? I’d love to compare mine to someone that has the Currie one if someone is willing.

I've only seen one example of the original Currie version. The closest thing to compare it to is Savvy.

UCF compared to Savvy is an example of how two aluminum bumpers that look similar are not in any way comparable to each other.

If you dig through my build thread from last summer, you will see how I improved the Motobilt stubby by adding in many details from the Savvy bumper.

I know “you get what you pay for” in most cases... but I’m curious what quality issues or lesser qualities exist in this specific part?
Yours may be an original Smittybuilt and not a more modern copy, who knows? If it works for you that's all that matters. Somebody here might be able to tell the difference but personally I wouldn't worry about it.

Reactions: DWR