Let's talk towing

You will be miserable using a uhaul trailer for any sort of distance. 1st off they don’t have electric brakes, they use surge brakes. There is no adjustments or anything you can do to help compensate for being on the edge of the vehicles towing limits. 2nd there is no way to adjust the positioning of your jeep to get proper tongue weight, the jeep will ride all the way forward and put way more tongue weight on your rig then ideal.

Not sure what other company you are talking about renting from, but I would recommend a heavy equipment rental place, as they typically have flat deck trailers that would have electric brakes on both axles and allow you to adjust tongue weight as needed for your vehicle.

But then it would be even more overloaded 🤫

Reactions: Shank
Biggest issue with a rental trailer is most weight distribution hitches require you to drill holes in the tongue to mount the arms. And since you're at or over your towing capacity you really NEED a WD hitch. There are a few out there that bolt to the tongue but if I remember correctly that were specific width & thickness of frames. You really shouldn't be towing a trailer without the WD hitch when you're loaded the way you are.

Reactions: reddvltj
Biggest issue with a rental trailer is most weight distribution hitches require you to drill holes in the tongue to mount the arms. And since you're at or over your towing capacity you really NEED a WD hitch. There are a few out there that bolt to the tongue but if I remember correctly that were specific width & thickness of frames. You really shouldn't be towing a trailer without the WD hitch when you're loaded the way you are.

My equalizer bolted to the trailer. It was definitely needed for the half ton.

Depending on trailer and final loading a WD hitch may be a good idea on larger trucks too. I didn't run one on my F350 as it was unnoticeable, aluminum trailer with only 650lb loaded tongue weight.

Last edited:
Excursion would solve this 😁 I swapped the original springs, which are incredibly too soft, for F350 springs front and rear. Guys are pulling 11-12k all day long with the proper setup. I regularly tow a dump trailer with my 7.3(9k fully loaded). Finding a V10 Excursion with 4.30 gears would be ideal. Otherwise a set of 4.88’s or 5.13’s is perfect for them.

Eco boost Expedition is another great option, just wish they didn’t have IRS.
1ABF6710-12B4-41A8-9DEC-1F7D71C1F5BB.jpeg

Get a Ford Excursion and flat tow your jeep like the RVs do.
They start at 6800lbs and go up to 11000lbs tow rating.
We have two in our family with the V10, both with over 300 k miles on them.

This one will haul you, the missus and 5 kids in style.
[URL]https://oklahomacity.craigslis...ursion-4x4-diesel-eddie-bauer/7599089541.html[/URL]

OP already explained why he doesn't want to flat tow. Ther are many reasons not to. Plus he's already bought the rig.

My equalizer bolted to the trailer. It was definitely needed for the half ton.

Depending on trailer and final loading a WD hitch may be a good idea on larger trucks too. I didn't run one on my F350 as it was unnoticeable, aluminum trailer with only 650lb loaded tongue weight.

Why I said many don't. Yes I know there are some that do bolt onto the frame.