Lifting LJ: Looking for thoughts on my setup

Coils have an insignificant impact in the ride quality. OME coils are nice because of the multitude of options available to set the desired ride height for a lower lift height. And once settled, they seem to hold that ride height fairly well.

Coils have an insignificant impact in the ride quality. OME coils are nice because of the multitude of options available to set the desired ride height for a lower lift height. And once settled, they seem to hold that ride height fairly well.

Thanks for the input. I'd rather spend a bit more and do it right the first time around at the same time, I'd rather spend the money and get a decent riding Jeep than one that I won't enjoy driving as it will feel and drive terrible on the road.

So no one knows if the spacers come with the coils or not?

If you are just ordering the coils they do not come with spacers. I installed my springs without spacer and let them settle in. The jeep is almost perfectly level so I never needed to install spacers.

The 10mm spacers are available separately from the coils. There is nothing special about them beyond the color and the thickness.

Reactions: freebo86
Thanks for responses. Took a peek at the used 33s this afternoon.. indecisive on to get them or not. There is approx. 75% left on these, even wear. I’m contemplating for the price if I do not like them I can always resell and go to 32s will take a smaller hit then if I were to get new tires and realized I didn’t like them.

The duratracs get some good feedback from what I’ve seen. Any of you run them? Their a 2014 manufacture date on them, guy bought them from his buddy and has had them for 2 years now but never finished his project truck.. tread measures 14-15/ 32s on the set

Last edited:
I have 3 sets of Duratrac's and have been happy with them. I have them on my Jeep and F150. They perform well in just about every category. That's not to say they are the best in any single catagory. But for a good all around tire they are definitely one of the best. They do have some road noise but on a Jeep you will never notice. The only issue that I have had with the 33's is they do not seem to be the easiest to balance. I always buy from Discount Tire so it's no problem to get them balanced again. If the tread depth measurement is accurate the tires are very low milage. New 33" Duratrac's are 18/32s.

Reactions: rasband
Mine on 33’s with 4 inches of lift.

8050C5CE-6FDC-47E4-922B-E2AE103B7D11.jpeg

5C83D867-FC8B-439F-9CB6-61653B8F76AB.jpeg

Stay on 31" tires if you can, life is so much better on them. Just get some really good ATs. Seriously consider not going to a larger tire, it is a huge hit in almost every way except off-road and if you don't need it there is very little upside. The can of worms you are about to open is huge, Costco sized, make sure you want it open.

Personally I have a fat LJ with Moog CC782 springs in front, RS5000X shocks and airlift helpers in the rear to level it out for whatever I'm carrying. It is a really nice setup, maybe an inch or two over stock, rides great and is just fine on the trail.
Good post , look at the Nitto Ridge Grappler , it's a true all terrain .

I just switched from a set of ProComp ES3000s that the PO had put on when he did the lift to a set of RS9000xls. Worlds better IMO. I run the setting on 3 in the front and 2 in the rear. Ride is pretty comfortable. Have 3.5" RE coils. Running my 33s at roughly 28-29lbs. If money is of issue the RS5000x is a great option. Can be had for around $200 for the set. Stick with a C rated tire if you can (which means 15" wheels for the most part).

I just switched from a set of ProComp ES3000s that the PO had put on when he did the lift to a set of RS9000xls. Worlds better IMO. I run the setting on 3 in the front and 2 in the rear. Ride is pretty comfortable. Have 3.5" RE coils. Running my 33s at roughly 28-29lbs. If money is of issue the RS5000x is a great option. Can be had for around $200 for the set. Stick with a C rated tire if you can (which means 15" wheels for the most part).

I rode in a buddies JK today that has a 3” Procomp lift and damn was the ride ever harsh.. like bone crunching.

What’s the next step up from the RS5000s the 9000s? Or a whole other brand of shock?

Rancho 9000's are adjustable and would be considered the next step. You can run them on 1 or 2 for street use and they should give you a nice ride. If you go with Rancho I would wait for a promotion. They usually run rebates several time during the year.

Rancho 9000's are adjustable and would be considered the next step. You can run them on 1 or 2 for street use and they should give you a nice ride. If you go with Rancho I would wait for a promotion. They usually run rebates several time during the year.

Ya no promotion on now for rancho. So rancho is the go to shocks? I know Bilstein doesn’t seem to be too popular with the Jeep guys?

Ya no promotion on now for rancho. So rancho is the go to shocks? I know Bilstein doesn’t seem to be too popular with the Jeep guys?
Wait a couple of days until the 1st. The last several years they have offered a rebate in the fall for purchases between Sept. 1st and Oct. 31st. They call it their Shocktober sale.

Wait a couple of days until the 1st. The last several years they have offered a rebate in the fall for purchases between Sept. 1st and Oct. 31st. They call it their Shocktober sale.

Thanks for the tip! A few days here and there won't hurt.

So I'm still thinking about what I will do. Is there any benefit doing a true suspension lift vs. doing 2.5" suspension and then BL? The BL's turn me off as I find the gap down below between body and frame just looks odd.

Thanks for the tip! A few days here and there won't hurt.

So I'm still thinking about what I will do. Is there any benefit doing a true suspension lift vs. doing 2.5" suspension and then BL? The BL's turn me off as I find the gap down below between body and frame just looks odd.

Both are "true" methods of modifying the Jeep. Among other things, the body lift allows for a slightly larger tire without disrupting the drive line as severely if it were all done with springs. And the existence of a body lift can effect what the most appropriate shock length might be.

If you are looking for some more options to run 33" tires you might consider the Zone 3" or 4.25" combo lift kits. Their hydro shocks are like Ranchos, not too many bad reviews. They also make a good kit, if you decide to do more you can keep most of their parts. Like @jjvw says, don't fear the BL, it is a great option.

I'm really leaning towards the Ranchos as the reviews really do seem to compare the ride to stock mostly. One thing that sucks is their white lol! I'd probably end up painting them black or something.

So I've looked at a few complete kits and most come with trackball relocation brackets - would I need one of those as well?

The 1.25" BL is barely noticable. One advantage is it makes it a lot easier to clean road salt off the frame.

If you get the 9000's they are metalic silver in color. Not sure if your a fan but it does look better than the white.

I would recomend at least a front adjustable track bar. Make sure you buy one that will work with the lift height you decide on. For the 2.5" lift JKS and Metalcloak are the 2 that will work. The rear relocation bracket works well enough.

Thanks for the input guys, really appreciate it! I see guys push either the 5000x or the 9000 series of shocks, what about the 7000 series?

So I’m finding contemplating info online for the OME springs is the part number 2933 or 2934? Or is it 2932..

Rear is 2949 which is the HD type..