Light switch not lighting up correctly

Jackjack97

TJ Enthusiast
On my 1997 4.0 5spd I replaced the instrument cluster lights with LEDs. I took out the light switch knob on the kick panel to put the kick panel back in place with a better chance of not breaking anything. Now the parking lights and the instrument panel lights only light up in a very certain spot of the switch. They do not come on at all except that very specific spot but my head lights still come on. Anyone have this problem? Or at least does anyone have a solution?

Take it back apart to see what’s going on.
I did not actually take the switch apart but I just pulled the handle out using the little button ton top
image.jpg

You press the button at the top of my finger and you can pull this out
image.jpg

So, when you rotate the knob, your lights flicker/only work in 1 position? that sounds like dirty/corroded contacts inside the switch

sorry is it when you "pull" to turn on lights, or once the lights are on the "rotation". LED behave differently than the original lights and the dimmer/rotate might not work as expected ( if at all ). LED's also might need a resistor, but I won't go there just yet...

Possibly just some contact cleaner, and turn knob back and forth. I use Deoxit for electronics it cleans and leaves a conductive coating to lubricate and protect... works, and has worked very well on my HiFi system from the 60’s, and does well in high humid area (NOT WET) to help protect from corrosion. I resurrected a frozen Variac with this too, soaked the coils, and started working the armature until it was all freed up.

sorry is it when you "pull" to turn on lights, or once the lights are on the "rotation". LED behave differently than the original lights and the dimmer/rotate might not work as expected ( if at all ). LED's also might need a resistor, but I won't go there just yet...
Well I replaced the switch and the fuse for the lights which had popped when the switch broke. It seems tho the LED lights I put in the cluster don’t dim which is weird because on superbrightleds.com it said the lights were dimmable