LJ vs TJ springs

THEREALJIM

TJ Enthusiast
This may be a noob question, which I am, but is there a difference in springs between the TJ and LJ?

I'm in the market for a new 2" lift and I'm noticing on some sites when I enter my vehicle, 2006 LJR, the springs I'm looking at are coming up as not compatible with the LJ but they work for the TJ.

Screenshot_20201127-162708_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20201127-162635_Chrome.jpg

Yes, the LJ factory rear rate is stronger . A 2.5" TJ spring may be the trick...you won't have a problem finding some springs or a better answer here ...lots of LJ builds on the forum. Tag some LJ guys if needed.

Reactions: THEREALJIM
Yes, the LJ factory rear rate is stronger . A 2.5" TJ spring may be the trick...you won't have a problem finding some springs or a better answer here ...lots of LJ builds on the forum. Tag some LJ guys if needed.
Thanks for the info! Glad I asked before I placed a order lol I'll do some digging in the build section!

Reactions: AndyG
Some do say for both (like BDS), but then you may not get the full lift on a heavier vehicle. However, you can always add a coil spacer to level it out.

OME has springs that are rated for the LJ. I did the ZJ/LJ sping combination and achieved almost exactly 2.5" of lift with front/rear bumpers and a winch.

Some do say for both (like BDS), but then you may not get the full lift on a heavier vehicle. However, you can always add a coil spacer to level it out.
Yeah I'm seeing some people say they really like the BDS but some aren't getting the full 2" out of it for their LJ. Don't know of mine would have that problem since its pretty stock, I removed the back seat and drive without the spare mostly. May have to call up BDS sometime, just found out they are only about 80 miles away from me. If it was COVID season I'd just drive up there, guess I'll call or email instead😕 lol

Yeah I'm seeing some people say they really like the BDS but some aren't getting the full 2" out of it for their LJ. Don't know of mine would have that problem since its pretty stock, I removed the back seat and drive without the spare mostly. May have to call up BDS sometime, just found out they are only about 80 miles away from me. If it was COVID season I'd just drive up there, guess I'll call or email instead😕 lol
😷😷😷😷

OME has springs that are rated for the LJ. I did the ZJ/LJ sping combination and achieved almost exactly 2.5" of lift with front/rear bumpers and a winch.
I've seen a few people reference the ZJ/LJ or ZJ/HD spring rates when talking about OME. Seems like everyone is also recommending the heavy duty springs over the light duty.

So I'm assuming ZJ/LJ means the ZJ front springs and LJ rear?

I'm leaning more towards the OME the more I'm reading. A lot of good reviews and they don't sag as much.

I've seen a few people reference the ZJ/LJ or ZJ/HD spring rates when talking about OME. Seems like everyone is also recommending the heavy duty springs over the light duty.

So I'm assuming ZJ/LJ means the ZJ front springs and LJ rear?

I'm leaning more towards the OME the more I'm reading. A lot of good reviews and they don't sag as much.
The ZJ springs are a little heavier as they were for the V8. I chose the ZJ springs for the front because I wanted the Jeep to sit level. I personally don't like the factory rake look. I did not need to use any spacers as I was within 1/4 inch variance between the drivers and passengers sides. I paired the springs with Rancho 5000x in the front and the 9000xl in the rear.

The ZJ springs are a little heavier as they were for the V8. I chose the ZJ springs for the front because I wanted the Jeep to sit level. I personally don't like the factory rake look. I did not need to use any spacers as I was within 1/4 inch variance between the drivers and passengers sides. I paired the springs with Rancho 5000x in the front and the 9000xl in the rear.
I was just checking out pictures of you LJ and it looks great! Would you still recommend the ZJ front springs and 9000XL shocks in the rear for someone that isn't planning on having a a winch or heavy duty bumper?

I was just checking out pictures of you LJ and it looks great! Would you still recommend the ZJ front springs and 9000XL shocks in the rear for someone that isn't planning on having a a winch or heavy duty bumper?
If you never intend to add weight you will probably want the 933's for the front. You can easily use spacers if you need to level it out.

I run the 9000's in the rear only because they were the best length for my suspension travel. If you aren't really concerned with getting an extra fraction of an inch of travel or towing then the 5000's would be more economical. The adjustability is nice but honestly I have never adjusted them after they were installed.

If you never intend to add weight you will probably want the 933's for the front. You can easily use spacers if you need to level it out.

I run the 9000's in the rear only because they were the best length for my suspension travel. If you aren't really concerned with getting an extra fraction of an inch of travel or towing then the 5000's would be more economical. The adjustability is nice but honestly I have never adjusted them after they were installed.
I at one time thought about adding heavier bumpers and a winch, but I don't hit the trails enough for that for now, plus I kind of dig the stock bumpers, when they aren't rusting of course lol. I have my Chevy 1500 if I ever need to tow anything.

In your opinion, what duty would you recommend for a stock LJ?

I at one time thought about adding heavier bumpers and a winch, but I don't hit the trails enough for that for now, plus I kind of dig the stock bumpers, when they aren't rusting of course lol. I have my Chevy 1500 if I ever need to tow anything.

In your opinion, what duty would you recommend for a stock LJ?
I would probably go with the 933/949 combo. On an LJ I think the 932 light duty springs would not give enough lift.
I have been putting my LJ on a diet and have removed the heavy bumpers. I cut the front stock bumper down and it weights 9lbs now. I also currently have no rear bumper installed. I will pull the winch off tomorrow and get some measurements of the ZJ/LJ lift with the close to stock weight.

I pulled the winch off the front this morning. The Jeep is sitting without bumpers, spare tire mounted on the stock carrier, hardtop and rear seat in. The springs have been installed for 3 years and have just under 3k miles on them. The spring lengths are:
Front 14.5 inches
Rear 10.625 inches
I measured with the winch installed on the front and the difference .25 inches.
I am not sure if the lighter spring rate of the 933's would give any difference in ride quality. Perhaps somebody with more suspension knowledge will be able to answer that.

I pulled the winch off the front this morning. The Jeep is sitting without bumpers, spare tire mounted on the stock carrier, hardtop and rear seat in. The springs have been installed for 3 years and have just under 3k miles on them. The spring lengths are:
Front 14.5 inches
Rear 10.625 inches
I measured with the winch installed on the front and the difference .25 inches.
I am not sure if the lighter spring rate of the 933's would give any difference in ride quality. Perhaps somebody with more suspension knowledge will be able to answer that.
Thanks for the info! I've been looking at others LJs and their lift combos all day. I'm thinking I may be good with the light duty since its so stock but I'm not 100% yet. May have to call up DPG offroad some time like some people are recommended just so I get the right combo lol