Looking for advice on re-gearing

I would choose 4.88 for 35s and 6 speed for sure. Will be a good balance of power and highway rpm and great offroad as well with the low 1st gear on that transmission. 3000 @ 75 on the highway: perfect. If you're going to go to 33's, try to decide on that now. I'd go with 4.56 if going to 33's, although 4.56 and 35's would not be terrible, it's about the same as the 5 speed on 4.88 with 35's. I'd try to make up the tire decision now and choose the ratio accordingly. Or worst case, enjoy the lower gearing and drive 5 mph slower on the highway.

Sorry to hear about the loss of your son, hopefully his Jeep makes the loss a little bit less hard. I'm sure he'd want you to have it.

Thank you. It does help me to cope working on it. Thanks for the information.

Reactions: machoheadgames
If you plan on running trails I would run the higher numerical gearing, plus with the 4.88's you won't need to be in a hurry to replace the 35's. Who knows, you might end up liking them after a while.

They are kind of growing on me. Once the gears are done it will be a lot better.

Reactions: Necro
Just got my Jeep re geared from the 4.11s to the 4.88s. What a difference it made on the highway! It was nice being able to use sixth gear again. Running the same set up with 35 inch tires and a six speed transmission. It was money well spent.

I’ve never personally owned a Jeep before. I have had a few samurais that I had built up to one point or another. My primary vehicle is a Subaru crosstrek that I have spent way too much money on building it up. Anyhoo , I very recently received this Jeep after my son passed away so , I decided to try and do all of things that he had in mind in his honor. With that being said , I have figured out that these really are a money pit just like anything else that we try and make suitable for off road fun.
It’s a 2005 TJ with the 4.0 and the 6 speed. It’s lifted 4” on 35 Mickey Thompson Baja something or another. It does have the sye. I did discover Sunday that it has a ford 8.8 swap. It’s pretty beefy. It’s currently running 3.73 gears. So far I have replaced all 8 of the control arms , the front and rear track bars , heavy duty steering, new steering stabilizer. Had a horrible death wobble because everything was wore out. It wasn’t any fun to drive. It’s an in progress thing for me. I’m itching to get it in better shape and do more work to it. I am going to regear next. Definitely would like to hear what folks have done as far as ratio. I do need to do some interior work such as center console and some kind of floor coverings. It’s really hot in there when it’s really hot outside. I’ll post more and better pictures as I progress.

View attachment 347843

View attachment 347844

View attachment 347845

4.88 with the 6-speed and 35’s. If you plan to drop to 33’s then 4.56

Sorry about your son. I can’t imagine. I’m originally from Paris, TX.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Just got my Jeep re geared from the 4.11s to the 4.88s. What a difference it made on the highway! It was nice being able to use sixth gear again. Running the same set up with 35 inch tires and a six speed transmission. It was money well spent.

Excellent ! I appreciate the feedback !

4.88 with the 6-speed and 35’s. If you plan to drop to 33’s then 4.56

Sorry about your son. I can’t imagine. I’m originally from Paris, TX.

Thank you ! It’s a hard pill to swallow I’ll promise. The death of anyone is hard , the death of a child is something that’s indescribable.
I live in Naples but , I’m from Sulphur Springs.

Just for the heck of it today, I called a couple of places semi local to me that does re-gearing. The first one doesn’t do them anymore, the second one quoted me $3000. I had really decided to just do it myself , I just thought I’d check.

The first one doesn’t do them anymore, the second one quoted me $3000.
I would have had either, or both, of these reactions on that second call:
serious.gif

how-drunk-are-you-right-now-drunk.gif

I would have had either, or both, of these reactions on that second call:
View attachment 350564

View attachment 350565

I actually did choke on my water and then laughed. I said , dang brother ! My guess is , if I had really pushed him , he may have come off the price but honestly , I wouldn’t spend my money with him anyway. Maybe he gets that much , maybe there are people that don’t mind paying that , idk. I’ve got no problem with a man making money it , good grief, he doesn’t have to make it all off of me. I have been a big truck tech my whole life, I can do it myself. But I figured if I could find a reputable shop that didn’t try to make their whole month off of me I’d let them do it. I don’t have a lift at the house and really didn’t want to pull the the whole housings out so I could do it.
I’ll look closer to the Dallas area and see what I can find.

I am a big truck driver, do you hate me?!! 🙃

Many here have done their own gears. I would follow a thread if you were to do your own re-gear.

No sir , truck drivers is why we do what we do. Y’all have issues , we fix em !
I’ll see what I can do when I get around to doing them.

• USA Proud
Reactions: RINC
I actually did choke on my water and then laughed. I said , dang brother ! My guess is , if I had really pushed him , he may have come off the price but honestly , I wouldn’t spend my money with him anyway. Maybe he gets that much , maybe there are people that don’t mind paying that , idk. I’ve got no problem with a man making money it , good grief, he doesn’t have to make it all off of me. I have been a big truck tech my whole life, I can do it myself. But I figured if I could find a reputable shop that didn’t try to make their whole month off of me I’d let them do it. I don’t have a lift at the house and really didn’t want to pull the the whole housings out so I could do it.
I’ll look closer to the Dallas area and see what I can find.

i’m south of tyler and can’t find anyone that will do gears period.

Reactions: Peppergat
Many here have done their own gears. I would follow a thread if you were to do your own re-gear.
Yes many have but make sure to go into the process with a lot of understanding of the process after thoroughly having studied up on it. Screwing that job up is easy and that will result in toasted brand-new gears. I participated, under the guidance of an experienced R&P installer, in installing my current 5.38 gears and it was a real eye-opening experience. I'm glad I wasn't trying to do it on my own.