Looking for roll cage recommendations

I wear my 5 point harness if I'm in the CJ buggy or RZR and on a trail, I don't even unload it unless I'm wearing the lap belt. When it starts getting a little dicey I put on my AXEL helmet, I have closed cell roll bar padding around the head area in both. It will still ring your bell on a backwards or hard side roll over when you contact the roll bar.

Reactions: suicideking
I wear my 5 point harness if I'm in the CJ buggy or RZR and on a trail, I don't even unload it unless I'm wearing the lap belt. When it starts getting a little dicey I put on my AXEL helmet, I have closed cell roll bar padding around the head area in both. It will still ring your bell on a backwards or hard side roll over when you contact the roll bar.

If I ever get a cage, I will also get one of those helmets. I should probably have one anyway for sketchy stuff.

Reactions: TNHEADDUCK
I'd like to get one eventually. There just aren't any 'retail' cages that are built very well. The Genright is the best I've seen. Though a custom cage would be better, yet cost a ton of money.

The first argument that comes to my mine: If you're going to drive it to and from the trail, are you wearing a helmet on the freeway and off road? You're more likely to get in an accident driving to and from. So with all those extra bars, you're more likely to get injured/killed from hitting your head on one of the bars.

I was on a local trail and a runaway Land Rover started rolling backwards and sideways. Ended up T-boning a parked TJ. The passenger of the TJ had her seatbelt on, but hit her head pretty good on an aftermarket roll bar. She got a concussion and that was at less than 5mph. So what's going to happen at 70mph?

Are you going to wear the 5 point restraints 100% of the time when the Jeep is moving?

Weight is also a big concern. I have many aluminum parts to save weight. Going to lose all that savings with a cage.

The aluminum helps to balance out the weight of the additional cage. I always wear my harnesses because i removed my seatbelts. If your harness is fit properly, your head shouldn’t hit anything, but you can still get a concussion from your brain rattling in your skull. Genright cage is 3k before shipping unwelded… at that point you’re not that far off price wise from a custom cage.

The aluminum helps to balance out the weight of the additional cage. I always wear my harnesses because i removed my seatbelts. If your harness is fit properly, your head shouldn’t hit anything, but you can still get a concussion from your brain rattling in your skull. Genright cage is 3k before shipping unwelded… at that point you’re not that far off price wise from a custom cage.

same here, i'm tucked tight in my Cornbro's with a 4 point, my head cannot reach any bars. whiplash is a fair concern i think.

they do (mostly race) cages around here for an average of 250$ a point.

3k is not cheap enough to be considered expendable to me. and i don't think the GR video was a fair apples to apples comparison, 1 side flop and a rig that ran off pavement, but doesn't really appear to have rolled. looks more like it barreled it's way across the tundra bouncing and slamming until it tore the front end out. the damage to the aluminum top looks like people have tried to pry it off to me, not what i expect for roll over damage.

most bad rolls look like post 14....take that picture and figure what would it have taken to keep most of that from folding. 1 piece fails miserably, often. the 2nd fails because of the way the 1st item moves. the 3rd item would have held much better if 1 held at all and 2 had some support.

Last edited:
same here, i'm tucked tight in my Cornbro's with a 4 point, my head cannot reach any bars. whiplash is a fair concern i think.

they do (mostly race) cages around here for an average of 250$ a point.

3k is not cheap enough to be considered expendable to me. and i don't think the GR video was a fair apples to apples comparison, 1 side flop and a rig that ran off pavement, but doesn't really appear to have rolled. looks more like it barreled it's way across the tundra bouncing and slamming until it tore the front end out. the damage to the aluminum top looks like people have tried to pry it off to me, not what i expect for roll over damage.

most bad rolls look like post 14....take that picture and figure what would it have taken to keep most of that from folding. 1 piece fails miserably, often. the 2nd fails because of the way the 1st item moves. the 3rd item would have held much better if 1 held at all and 2 had some support.

When you say 250 a point, do you mean like $1500 for a “6 point cage” as in 6 points of attachment to the frame, or 250 a point, and a point is any junction of two tubes? I’m thinking the latter.

do you mean like $1500 for a “6 point cage”

yep. 6 points are basic and simple, summit sells bar kits for just a few hundred bucks, just nothin tall enough for us. nobody pays what jeep people have to put up with.
race teams will do regears for 300$, chop down axles for 300$ bend your tubes for 20$ a bend.

basic construction is all that's even been required and has worked well for yrs, but our height demands more elaborate structures to be a real cage.

but what we are missing from a basic kit is a halo bar and A legs.
the B support could be a straight tubes to be more efficient but that doesn't support rear passengers or rear over the shoulder seat belts and a folding top frame.

Reactions: RINC
yep. 6 points are basic and simple, summit sells bar kits for just a few hundred bucks, just nothin tall enough for us. nobody pays what jeep people have to put up with.
race teams will do regears for 300$, chop down axles for 300$ bend your tubes for 20$ a bend.

basic construction is all that's even been required and has worked well for yrs, but our height demands more elaborate structures to be a real cage.

but what we are missing from a basic kit is a halo bar and A legs.
the B support could be a straight tubes to be more efficient but that doesn't support rear passengers or rear over the shoulder seat belts and a folding top frame.

Kevin at KSR builds great cages. https://winwithksr.com/

I would want a custom cage. Don't like the bolt on cages especially how they mount at the A-pillar.

• USA Proud
Reactions: Apparition
Well, the good news is you'll actually have a cage since you'll be climbing in the window.

which is acceptable providing 1 is playing on a field that warrants such a machine.

those smaller tube chassis are some lean light little monsters.

Last edited:
Reactions: freedom_in_4low