So I'm thinking about replacing my gear box, and I found these two options that seem like they would be good: Option A and Option B

Option A comes with a pitman arm already attached, so I would not have to deal with getting my pitman arm off the box. But, I would have to remove the arm from the drag link, which also looks like it might be a pain.

Which one would be the easiest to do, removing pitman arm from the gear box or from the drag link? Both ways look to be a little difficult, but I am not sure which would be worse. Also these gear boxes are used, would it be a better idea to get a new reman box?
Removing your pitman arm from your drag link is easy with the right size pickle fork but it destroys the tie rod end bushing. Using a pitman arm puller would save the bushing and would probably be even easier than the pickle fork. I’ve read using the puller, it isn’t always easy to remove the pitman arm from the gear box.

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
I ended up replacing my gearbox with a reman box from Napa, install was easy but now my slop in the gearbox isn’t any better or maybe even worse.

Should I look into replacing my lower steering shaft as well, or maybe the new gearbox needs to be “adjusted”? Or did I just most likely get a shit steering box

I ended up replacing my gearbox with a reman box from Napa, install was easy but now my slop in the gearbox isn’t any better or maybe even worse.

Should I look into replacing my lower steering shaft as well, or maybe the new gearbox needs to be “adjusted”? Or did I just most likely get a shit steering box
Here to revive the old thread. It's probably not the steering box, they can reman it tighter if it's loose but I had this same issue on my ZJ. It probably has to do with the, as many have said before, steering linkage. Rock auto has cheap parts for tj replacement Ball joints and so on. Either way, I would bet it's not your steering box. Also stick with TJ or Currie Currlync steering. Jk Crossover etc steering will probably not fix the issue IMO without some other "changes" in steering behavior.

Here to revive the old thread. It's probably not the steering box, they can reman it tighter if it's loose but I had this same issue on my ZJ. It probably has to do with the, as many have said before, steering linkage. Rock auto has cheap parts for tj replacement Ball joints and so on. Either way, I would bet it's not your steering box. Also stick with TJ or Currie Currlync steering. Jk Crossover etc steering will probably not fix the issue IMO without some other "changes" in steering behavior.
I’ve been thinking of replacing my steering linkage just to be sure, but it doesn’t seem in bad shape to me. I have to do it again sometime but I did a quick steering test and didn’t see any play there.

I do see a lot of movement going into my steering box and none on the output, which is why I figured the reman box I got just have been crap cause that seems like the only reason for that