LJR Addict
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner

Like my build? Now For Sale:
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/for-sale-2000-jeep-wrangler-sport.13070/

LRG_DSC00987.JPG
Image uploaded from iOS (3).jpg

The Jeep is a 2000 4.0L Auto, I believe it has rear Dana 44's

Here are some pictures of my Jeep that I bought 2/22. I'm starting to research some builds, I think I don't want anything too crazy, something to make it have a bit better stance while still driving well on roads, and being able to handle light rock crawling/offroading. I wouldn't mind going an overland direction also, I love backpacking, camping, etc and being able to have a utility vehicle that can go anywhere and set up camp with not much work is appealing to me. Probably a lot of the work will be done by a shop as I live in the city and don't really have anywhere to work (or that much mechanical know-how)

I'm mainly in the research stage right now and looking at these parts below looking for advice, I was wondering if I was missing anything obvious especially if I went with doing the short term all in one go, or if any of the parts could be cut. I've been reading a lot of Chris's build and like a lot of the things he's doing to his new Jeep.

================================================================

Now in the build stage. I'll keep this section up to date with thoughts and progress
Current Plan (maybe a bit audacious):

May: Paint near windshield, magnetic CB mount [DONE]
June: OBA solution [DONE - Need to relocate air intake to frame]
July: Savvy rockers with side steps (plan to pain rear backer plate PW1, powder coat steps)
August: Currie Antirock
September: Savvy Adjustable control arms
October: Savvy front bumper aluminum
November: Warn Winch
December/Jan:Engine/Transmission Skid Plates

Feb: Savvy Gas tank skid
<hopefully regear with tax $$$?>
March: Preventative- Cooling system replacements
April: BedRug carpet and weather tech (or bedline interior)
May: Derale 20561 transmission cooler
June/July: New drivers and passenger seats / Interior upgrades

Misc:
Fog Lights
Savvy shifter kit
Trasharoo
Tuffy center console
Gas Tank Extended

Previous thoughts/Plans:

Planned (short term):
Spidershade web items for going topless
Preventative
Cooling system upgrades​
BedRug carpet
Headliner
Weathertech front floor/cargo liner
Internal LEDs
Derale 20561 transmission cooler

Planned (long term):
Regear 4.10 with selectable lockers
New front bumper (Looking at savvy)
Winch
Rocker guards (looking at savvy)
Fog lights
New seats (looking at PMP)
Tummy tuck/under armor
Rear bumper
Adjustable lighting for around the Jeep
Trailer

Purchased:
- DPGOffroad Ultimate Kit + Steering Stabilizer
- JKS rear trackbar
- JKS end links​

Installed:
- DPGOffroad Ultimate Kit + Steering Stabilizer
- Suspension (OME shocks and springs)
- JKS front trackbar
- JKS body lift
- Brown Dog MML
- OME HD Steering Stabilizer​
- BMB front pads and rotors
- 285/75R16 Duratracs
- Moab 16" Wheels
- Currie Currectlync Steering System
- GraBars
- Vision X Headlights
- Rubicon Fender Flares
- CB Radio Setup
- Tuffy Hood Latch
- Moryde tailgate enforcement (wet painted to match PW1)
- Curt tow hitch
- CKMTA12 compressor

Last edited:
Overlanding? H&R springs, the shocks of your choice to match, 31 or 32" tires, a 1" body lift, gears and lockers. Done, except for stuff like a radio(s), winch and fiddly bits.

Overlanding? H&R springs, the shocks of your choice to match, 31 or 32" tires, a 1" body lift, gears and lockers. Done, except for stuff like a radio(s), winch and fiddly bits.

Seems to sort of go along with my list. Any good source to read up on H&R springs?

I like your plans, they're very similar to mine!

We use our TJ for overland type of stuff as well, and aren't really into the rock crawling thing. That being said, people like us (and @StG58 as well), don't really need to have a huge lift, huge tires, etc. Put a TJ on 2" of lift with some 31" or 32" tires, and you'll have a very capable rig!

Reactions: StG58 and tomtaylz
You probably don’t need more than a 1/2” Rokmen BL if your sticking with 32’s and the 2” OME.

Or F you’re ever possibly going to 33’s, with much more tire choices, do the Savvy 1.25” BL.

Plan looks solid.

Reactions: JamesAndTheSahara
You probably don’t need more than a 1/2” Rokmen BL if your sticking with 32’s and the 2” OME.

Or F you’re ever possibly going to 33’s, with much more tire choices, do the Savvy 1.25” BL.

Plan looks solid.

Yeah I've been debating the 32/33 line a lot. I do want to keep in mind the center of gravity and not go too crazy with it so maybe I'll just do the .5" BL and then I probably wouldn't need the MML, right?

Yeah I've been debating the 32/33 line a lot. I do want to keep in mind the center of gravity and not go too crazy with it so maybe I'll just do the .5" BL and then I probably wouldn't need the MML, right?
Do your suspension lift first and see if you get vibes at the rear driveshaft. If you don’t, you don’t really need the MML. What the MML will do is correct your driveshaft angles in the rear to eliminate vibes so you don’t have to do the cheapest and worst solution, a TCase drop. But, if you do get vibes, go ahead and do the MML and BL at the same time so you don’t have to move your fan shroud.

A good compromise for 32’s or 33’s might be your present idea of the 2” OME, which will probably net 2.5”, and then add a 1” BL. I just like the Savvy BL the best, and it’s a 1.25”. Now, you could easily run 32’s or 33’s on that setup, and it would look good either way, but I prefer 33’s. 32’s are pretty good too. For me, when I look at a TJ, 31’s look like more Jeep than tire and 33’s look like more tire than Jeep. Since I like big tires, and need them for my off-roading, I opted for 33’s.

Reactions: tomtaylz and StG58
Seems to sort of go along with my list. Any good source to read up on H&R springs?
last I checked summit racing had the best shipped price, I got lucky and found a member here that changed plans so got a good deal on lightly used set. I was about to pull the trigger on them at summit, they are great when paired with rancho 5000x shocks.

Reactions: StG58
Do your suspension lift first and see if you get vibes at the rear driveshaft. If you don’t, you don’t really need the MML. What the MML will do is correct your driveshaft angles in the rear to eliminate vibes so you don’t have to do the cheapest and worst solution, a TCase drop. But, if you do get vibes, go ahead and do the MML and BL at the same time so you don’t have to move your fan shroud.

A good compromise for 32’s or 33’s might be your present idea of the 2” OME, which will probably net 2.5”, and then add a 1” BL. I just like the Savvy BL the best, and it’s a 1.25”. Now, you could easily run 32’s or 33’s on that setup, and it would look good either way, but I prefer 33’s. 32’s are pretty good too. For me, when I look at a TJ, 31’s look like more Jeep than tire and 33’s look like more tire than Jeep. Since I like big tires, and need them for my off-roading, I opted for 33’s.

Yeah I think thats why I was leaning towards the 1" BL so if I changed my mind and went with 33's then it would be an easy change. I do agree they generally look the best but trying not to overbuild - hah.

32's will extend beyond your fender flares a bit since it's only available in a 11.50" width. If you are ok with that look and the mud slinging it will present then it's a choice. A 31" tire is 1" narrower(1050) and will fit better IMO. And, if you decide to bump to 33's, they are also available in a narrow width like the 31's, ie....33X1050X15. The OME 2.5" coupled with Rokmen 0.5" BL and 2" bumpstop extensions will clear 33X1050X15's. If you want to see the various stages from 31's, then 32's, and finally 33's, check my build.

32's will extend beyond your fender flares a bit since it's only available in a 11.50" width. If you are ok with that look and the mud slinging it will present then it's a choice. A 31" tire is 1" narrower(1050) and will fit better IMO. And, if you decide to bump to 33's, they are also available in a narrow width like the 31's, ie....33X1050X15. The OME 2.5" coupled with Rokmen 0.5" BL and 2" bumpstop extensions will clear 33X1050X15's. If you want to see the various stages from 31's, then 32's, and finally 33's, check my build.
See, just go straight to 33's...;).

You have all the tire choices at 33, more than 31's, 32's, 35's and 37's or any other you can come up with.

Reactions: tomtaylz

What tire size would you go with starting over today?

What tire size would you go with starting over today?

If I didn't already re-gear, I would take out my 0.75" coil spacers, drop to 31X1050X15 BFG KO2's, and re-adjust my bumpstops accordingly. 33's are bitch'n and all that, but it comes with too much of a price for my style of offroading. I'm more overlanding as well, but occasionally hit the bigger stuff, so I wanted the best of both. IMO, 33's just are overkill for 95% of the trails I explore. 33's are kind of the turning point for a TJ where you have to start thinking about better brakes, beefier steering, more wear and tear on ball joints/unit bearings, re-gearing, the list goes on.

If I didn't already re-gear, I would take out my 0.75" coil spacers, drop to 31X1050X15 BFG KO2's, and re-adjust my bumpstops accordingly. 33's are bitch'n and all that, but it comes with too much of a price for my style of offroading. I'm more overlanding as well, but occasionally hit the bigger stuff, so I wanted the best of both. IMO, 33's just are overkill for 95% of the trails I explore. 33's are kind of the turning point for a TJ where you have to start thinking about better brakes, beefier steering, more wear and tear on ball joints/unit bearings, re-gearing, the list goes on.

Yeah that was my concern with a regear and everything it quickly gets expensive, its a shame that there aren't more tire options for 32's as I think that is still a sweet spot for me (which I still might go with)

Yeah that was my concern with a regear and everything it quickly gets expensive, its a shame that there aren't more tire options for 32's as I think that is still a sweet spot for me (which I still might go with)

Even with 32's and the auto trany, you'll suffer some performance. I think you have the 3speed(don't remember the year split for the overdrive 42lre trany), but if you do indeed have the 3 speed, it probably would be livable, but not ideal.

Gotcha, I'll probably go with that I think it'll save me a couple hundred dollars over getting the individual parts and lots of good stuff in there. Talking to Dirk for now at least I'll probably go some softer springs as my build isn't too heavy, and we'll see how fast the build goes. That way if it takes awhile to add something like a winch/heavier bumpers I can just adjust and get some new coils.

I also decided to go with the quick disconnects, saving some money over the Antirock bar and probably realistically I'm going to be doing more road driving than off road so it makes sense, figure I can always switch it out in the future.

My brakes probably need replacing soon and with new tires that makes me more eager to replace them while I'm getting everything else done. I added the black magic brakes to my short term goals as a lot of people seem to praise them. Is this what I would need?

https://www.shop.blackmagicbrakes.com/Front-Pads-477s-Front-Rotors-67045s-F-BMBP-47700067045.htm
https://www.shop.blackmagicbrakes.c...ake-Pads-and-Rear-Rotors-R-BMBP-964-67063.htm

These don't matter disc vs drum right?

BMB's are a great upgrade. Ran them for several years during my progression from 31's to 32's. I didn't run their rears though. If you have rear drum brakes, then a good quality shoe set should suffice.

Reactions: JMT
Planned (short term):
OMETJHKS (OME 2" Lift)
JKS 2001 (quick disconnects)
RM81020 (1” BL)
CE-9900 (Currie Antirock)
32x11.5xR15 KM2 Mud-Terrain
T/MTM5-5866 (15x8 wheel)
JKS OGS126 (Front trackbar)
JKS OGS151B (Rear trackbar)
1-2" Extended Bumpstop (any brand recommendations?)
BMB Pads and Rotors

Considering:
SYE (Brand recommendations?)

Planned (long term):
Winch
Headlight Upgrades
Regear 4.56
Roof-rack
Lighting for roof rack or in general providing more lighting around vehicle.
Trailer

Nice looking list. Tire size looks reasonable although they will stick out more. I know @bobthetj03 mentioned his 33x10.50, which I think is a great size on the TJ in regards to tucking under the flares and being reasonable in size and weight. I will admit to a bit of size envy looking at my 31x10.50 next to his and @lowranger 33's :D 33's will inevitably need a gear swap, something that will add a good amount to your budget.

Looks like you have passed on the AR. The AR is pretty bitchin, I just could not justify the price for my use. The track bars may or may not be needed. My BDS 2" coils did push the front end over about 3/4". Not major but I will replace the TB in time with an adjustable. The rear is maybe 1/2" which I will fix with a bracket, if I do it at all. I run JKS disconnects, they work great, easy off and back on.

Headlights should be a priority; the stockers suck ass. Either LED or a H4 conversion will be a major improvement.

A SYE is a great mod but you will also need rear adjustable upper control arms, so it is a bit more involved than you may think.

The BMB brakes are reportedly the sh%t, so you should be good there.

Winch is an important mod, especially if in the back country alone. Along with the appropriate recovery gear.