Low COG overland-ish build

Parts! Had over 100lbs of jeep parts delivered yesterday. I'm excited to get to installing hopefully sometime soon :). Still debating between 32's and 33's.. starting to lean towards 33's, I really do like the look. Now I'm mixed on tires todays thought was Duratracs but it changes often, hah (I like the look of the Coopers also). Will probably pull the trigger on BMB front brakes soon as mine are near the end of their life and it'd be nice to have new brakes with the bigger tires. 5 Pro Comp wheels coming in tomorrow, they were the right price and I like the look with some tires.

Image uploaded from iOS (4).jpg
71LeCmDCNPL._SX522_.jpg

Parts! Had over 100lbs of jeep parts delivered yesterday. I'm excited to get to installing hopefully sometime soon :). Still debating between 32's and 33's.. starting to lean towards 33's, I really do like the look. Now I'm mixed on tires todays thought was Duratracs but it changes often, hah (I like the look of the Coopers also). Will probably pull the trigger on BMB front brakes soon as mine are near the end of their life and it'd be nice to have new brakes with the bigger tires. 5 Pro Comp wheels coming in tomorrow, they were the right price and I like the look with some tires.

View attachment 34451 View attachment 34452
Very nice! These parts are going to transform your TJ!

Reactions: tomtaylz
I've got 6 hours at Pit Row tomorrow afternoon, hoping to get the shocks and springs installed tomorrow (and maybe disconnects as those look quick), worrying about the track bars, MML, body lift for next time.

I'll have to put together a handy spreadsheet too of things I've bought and things I'm hoping to install when I have time too.

See new wheels/decorations below :)

Image uploaded from iOS (5).jpg

Today in a nutshell

The Frustrating

- I didn't realize until I got to the shop the PO had some weird lug nuts which require a special adapter on all tires. Managed to get said adapter from PO after the fact but didn't get to do anything today (Shop is about an hr away)
- While driving around my CEL came on for the 3rd time since I've had it.

The Good

- Confirmed what I kind of already knew with 3.73 gear ratios and rear dana 44
- PB Blasted everything
- Its really clean underneath, a lot cleaner than photos/videos I've been watching on install. I could still read the Chrysler tag on the shock which was shocking
- Shop was nice enough to not charge me, although I walked away with my tail between my legs
- Ordered tires, went with the Cooper STT Pro and feel I got a good deal off simple tire, should be here midweek shipped to an installer.
- BMB Brakes arrived today.

Hoping I can get some time in the shop tomorrow and get a read on whats going on with the CEL again..

Dumb question: I'm guessing the OME shock with the black casing is rear and the yellow casing is front? It didn't say anything on the packages. EDIT: Just realized the front and rear will have different ends :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reactions: JMT
Also if someone could list out the socket sizes I need for the shocks, sway bars links, and anything else I would need to disconnect, that would save me a ton of time! Their tools weren't the most organized so finding some things (before I realized said lug nut issue) was a bit interesting.

Also one more question: They had shop lifts which I wasn't too familiar with and the research I've been doing has been on just jacks and using a jack, would I need some of the tall jack stands to put under the axels to get the shocks and things out?

Last edited:
Stuck: What’s the best way to get the front shock uppers off? Don’t think I’ll get done today unfortunately, can’t find the drill for my front bumpstop and the mechanic left a couple of hours ago

Stuck: What’s the best way to get the front shock uppers off? Don’t think I’ll get done today unfortunately, can’t find the drill for my front bumpstop and the mechanic left a couple of hours ago

Why are you having trouble getting the front shock upper nut off?

Why are you having trouble getting the front shock upper nut off?

Basically I would spin it with a 13mm wrench on top and obviously the shock would just spin. I was having a hard time grabbing to anything with a wrench, as theres kind of the foam near the top and not much to hold on to. Tried doing something like this to remove the foam but didn't have the best tools for it.

Also FYI I posted this thread: https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/help-top-bolt-of-front-shock.9548/#post-148089

Finished up the suspension today! A lot more planned for the weekend.

As for right now pictures installing OME shocks/springs. The passenger side shock took forever to get out, the nut was kind of seized up on the thread. I wanted to cut it off but the person who I asked for help with it at the shop was hesitant so a few hours went by before it finally came off, it was quite seized up.

It was a good learning experience, nothing fell off on the way home, and I still saved a lot vs the labor rates (even though it took me quite a lot of hours and I did it at a paid for shop). I ended up doing the whole thing myself. :b1:

IMG_2435-1.jpeg

IMG_2436.jpeg

IMG_2437-1.jpeg

IMG_2439-1.JPG

IMG_2440-1.jpeg

IMG_2441-1.JPG

zSr6EzK7RHmfbyeyJULwbw.jpg

IMG_2467.jpeg

IMG_2468.jpeg

IMG_2463.jpeg

IMG_2465.jpeg

As for right now pictures installing OME shocks/springs. The passenger side shock took forever to get out, the nut was kind of seized up on the thread. I wanted to cut it off but the person who I asked for help with it at the shop was hesitant so a few hours went by before it finally came off, it was quite seized up.

It was a good learning experience, nothing fell off on the way home, and I still saved a lot vs the labor rates (even though it took me quite a lot of hours and I did it at a paid for shop). I ended up doing the whole thing myself. :b1:
Nice work :).

That's gotta be a great feeling. And you're right, it does look clean under there! Gotta love that! :thumbup:

Great work! I saw a few posts about the process didn’t get responsed to. Glad you figured it out. First time is a bit cumbersome