Lower suspension options and advice for 06 TJ

YahtzeePP

Supporting Member
Hey all — PO put a 4" skyjacker lift on with 33" tires. Planning to downsize in tire size to 31 and would like to remove the low quality lift. I have a few options...

1. My local jeep guy has an OEM 06' LJ Rubicon full suspension package out of another vehicle. I currently have a full Currie Steering package with fox stabilizer (almost brand new.. I put it on when I first picked up the Jeep with the larger lift)... so that would have to be removed. (cost for labor)

2. Leave the existing suspension and just run smaller tires. (little cost)

3. Leave existing suspension and tires. (No cost)

4. Upgrade to a better, smaller suspension like OME 2.5 (Most expensive)

This TJ will not be a DD, but used for fun cruising around and for long camping/backcountry expeditions with a load. No crawling but will be exploring off road.

Thanks!

I'd leave as-is, maybe change out the shocks. Are you getting vibrations, or anything else bad happening with the lift?

Many topics on the matter, but the gurus all agree that there are negligible differences between springs, and they say the money is best spent in the shocks. If worried about overloading the springs, then maybe a concern... but I'd also say you are taking too much camping if that's the case, and it's time for a trailer.

Reactions: TheBoogieman
Many topics on the matter, but the gurus all agree that there are negligible differences between springs, and they say the money is best spent in the shocks. If worried about overloading the springs, then maybe a concern... but I'd also say you are taking too much camping if that's the case, and it's time for a trailer.
Thanks for the replies — a lightweight utility trailer with RTT is likely the goal, I should have mentioned that in the original post. Not much room after both of us and the dog.

How significant would a big upgrade to the shocks be? Say put in Fox 2.0s all around. Does that impact body roll at all?

It wouldn't be as simple as just throwing in shorter springs though right?
Depends on what you’ve done to it.

The lift comes from the springs, the shocks match the travel of the taller springs. You would need 2 inch spring and shocks that support it, most people here praise Old Man Emu for their off the shelf shocks, lots of reviews here and people love the ride they provide.

How significant would a big upgrade to the shocks be? Say put in Fox 2.0s all around. Does that impact body roll at all?
Depends on the off the shelf internal valving and setup. I know most people see Fox and just want them based on the popularity of their name and that they must be good. But I’ve read more folks here that go the Old Man Emu shock route and are happy.

Most people recommend Rancho 5000X shocks for the best ride on a budget. Make sure it's the X variety as the plain 5000 are supposedly quite stiff. BlackMax is another shock that has had decent feedback. OME changed their shocks a few years back and people have complained they are now too harsh controlling compression. Fox is a big name as is Billstein but are expensive and some people think they are too stiff. Fox may have softened the valving in the past couple years as several companies that offered after market tuning for a better ride with the Fox shocks have quit doing it. Possibly because FOX changed the valving to match.

OME makes at least 3 different spring set ups for a 2"-2.5" lift. Pick your weight from light to heavy and buy the springs to match. Other companies that made springs that were popular have apparently stopped making them for the TJ. Other current suppliers seem not to get much love on this site.

There are 2 popular sway bar set ups if you want articulation without disconnecting the sway bar. The AntiRock is a one size fits all that people like for its offroad performance but some think allows too much body roll on the road. The SwayLock is a two position bar that offers the benefit of one stiffness for the road and one equivalent to the AntiRock for off road. Does require flipping a lever to switch between though that can be automated for a price. You know which one costs more.

The Curry drag link is designed for a 4" lift and possibly will have to be shortened a little to work with 2" or shorter lift. The 2.5" OME lift may work but if you load the Jeep down may cause problems. Going with minimum 2" bump stops is recommended by Curry for stock to 2" lift.

Reactions: YahtzeePP
If you're not having any issues, I'd leave it alone.
For reference. 4" lift with 31s.
RUBI ZONE LIFT big (2017_11_20 00_38_12 UTC).jpg

Reactions: YahtzeePP
You could go back to stock with a 1" or 1-1/2" budget boost and 1" body lift. That should clear 31" tires for minimal cost.