M151 Army Days

DaYooperTransplant

97 Sport
Supporting Member
Anyone remember working on these in the Army? I joined in 1982 as a 63W Wheeled Vehicle Mechanic and spent my fair share under one. I once rode shotgun in one from Grafenwöhr, to Baumholder Germany, in October, with no doors and no top, on the autobahn, zipped up in a sleeping bag. Driver too. Got some pretty crazy looks.

To set the toe-in, we would get a special "tool" from the tool room. It was springy, like a shower curtain rod, and you would wedge it between the front tires at the center rear position. You would then roll the Jeep backwards until it was at the center front position. There was a slider gauge, and you would read the difference. I would think it would work well on the TJ's, but have never been able to find one.

Anyone remember this?

IMG_3323.jpg

Jeep.jpg

It looks awesome,. Tough looking things.

If you transplanted to WA.. you better get back to the U.P. before you melt...

I've rebuilt two of these, the M151-A1 version. It was famous for understeer and easily flipping over. Later the A2 version had trailing arms in the back and was more stable. Really easy to work on and fun to drive. To bad the Government cut most of the M151A1s in half, later in an X before you could buy it surplus. Lots were welded back together and rebuilt anyway. I'd love to find a good uncut A2.

Reactions: DaYooperTransplant
It looks awesome,. Tough looking things.

If you transplanted to WA.. you better get back to the U.P. before you melt...

Actually headed back in a few weeks for the Fourth. Too spoiled to live there year-round though. They have been getting crappy weather for quite a while, hope it changes in the next week.

My dad has a few of these (all A1s). I grew up driving them around old mining and logging roads in north Idaho. They are a blast to drive but the ride isn’t great. Certainly better than an old CJ but not as good as a TJ. Two major issues with them is that there is no low range and it’s really easy to pick a tire off the ground on both ends on uneven ground. Unfortunately you can’t get a locker for them so not overly capable on anything serious. Still one of my favorites to get out in the mountains with.

IMG_0604.jpg

My dad has a few of these (all A1s). I grew up driving them around old mining and logging roads in north Idaho. They are a blast to drive but the ride isn’t great. Certainly better than an old CJ but not as good as a TJ. Two major issues with them is that there is no low range and it’s really easy to pick a tire off the ground on both ends on uneven ground. Unfortunately you can’t get a locker for them so not overly capable on anything serious. Still one of my favorites to get out in the mountains with.

Let me know if he wants to sell one!

Unfortunately he only has one title to share between three so can’t really sell one. Given they were never supposed to be sold to civilians they are impossible to title.

License plates do come in handy sometimes...

They do, yes...and I have plenty of ways of getting one. "Impossible" it isn't...but still certainly not easy, even when you know how to jump through a few somewhat-costly hoops. Around here, it's actually harder to find an intact 151 than it is to get it on the road or trail.

Reactions: Tranz Zam and K0LCB