Made a small storage box with new 3D printer

Probably not at this point because it is printed with PLA Plus which will probably deform in the summer sun (if we ever get any this year). If I can get the printer upgraded so I can print with higher temp plastics that will hold up better to the heat and UV I might think about it.

PETG should hold up well for that and just about any printer that can do PLA can do PETG. I printed up a PETG switch plate that's survived a couple Arizona summers so far, but the PLA prototype deformed on the first day.

Reactions: Fulton_Hogan
Very cool! Would be ideal for some small loose things I have floating around. Before I needed access to the anchors in the back for a carseat I had a Tuffy Trunk and that area was a nice little nook to stuff things into, but they would always fall out when wheeling. I am still waiting to take the 3D printer plunge but in the meantime I may copy your idea and make a box out of sheetmetal.

Learning to weld in on my bucket list, but alass, my garage is nowhere near big enough for it.

Reactions: Mobusaki
Learning to weld in on my bucket list, but alass, my garage is nowhere near big enough for it.

I was surprised how little space I needed to setup a little area for welding in my garage. One way to save space is with one of the new stick welders out there. Could take up less space than MIG + Bottle + cart. Heck, you can even do this outside and have way more space (same with flux core). Anyway, I wish you luck and hope you can get into it soon. Great skill to have!

Reactions: gbirk
PETG should hold up well for that and just about any printer that can do PLA can do PETG. I printed up a PETG switch plate that's survived a couple Arizona summers so far, but the PLA prototype deformed on the first day.

I have another project on the printer that will finish up in a day or so, then I will be reprinting it in PETG from a roll that just showed up. Man, 3D printing is slow, I see another printer in my future, probably with a larger bed as well. I had to print this angled with a lot of supports and a larger bed would really help.

And this is why you print in PETG if you need your stuff to keep shape in the summer sun. probably only 75 degrees, but the top was off the Jeep and it was parked in a gravel pit all day. The lid totally warped in the sun. The main box seems to have survived though.

PXL_20220712_231225776.jpg

New PETG cover. Not as clean of a print, but this is literally my 1st successful PETG print, so I have some tweaking to do still.
PXL_20220712_230904161.jpg

Last edited: