Measuring for shock length and bumpstop length

dogbreath650

Supporting Member
Hi, new guy here looking for some help. Been searching and reading up on how to measure for new shocks and also how to set bumpstop length. There is a lot of good info but it's in bits and pieces and it would sure make it easier for my simple brain to understand if there was a step by step tutorial that describes the process. Anybody aware of one they can point me to? Thanks...

0. Measure the distance between shock mounts at ride height.
1. put your frame on jack stands
2. Remove wheels/tires
3. remove shocks and disconnect sway bar
4. let the axle droop all the way out and measure the distance between your shock mounts. You'll use this later to see how much shock extension you can use.
5. remove springs - if they won't come out, remove the axle end track bar bolt to let the axle droop farther. Remove the rubber jounce bumpers from the bump stop cups.
6. use a floor jack to cycle the axle all the way to full compression on each side and in the middle (to get both sides bumped at the same time. You're looking for any mechanical contact, such as a track bar hitting a diff cover, steering hitting anything, etc. For the tie rods you'll want to turn the wheel all the way in each direction. Measure how far your bump stops are from each other at the points where things touch that you don't want to touch, and measure the distance between your shock mounts at the same point.
7. Repeat number 6 with the tire on the side you are stuffing. Technically you can do it at the same time as #6, I just find things easier to see without a tire in the way so I separate them. Just see where the tire hits, again turning the wheel to both extremes. Note your bump stop and shock mount measurement, if it's greater than the one from step 6.
8. Go shopping for shocks. Find one that best uses your available travel as measured in steps 0, 4, 6, and 7, but puts your ride height roughly in the middle of the total travel. If the shock length you pick is longer than what you measured, you'l need to add bump stop to take up the difference, and that will cost you uptravel. If you can't get exactly in the middle, that's ok, just don't farther than you have to on one side or the other. I know 2.5" of downtravel isn't enough. Stock had 4" of uptravel so I want to have at least that.

Last edited:
To add, you can probably get the front springs out by disconnecting the sway bar end links and a long pry bar after removing the shocks. Try that first before disconnecting the track bar. Also, when you go to full bump with the axle, remove the upper jounce bumpers so that the upper steel cup makes contact with the lower spring perch pad. The jounce will compress, so we don't count it for bump stops.

To add, you can probably get the front springs out by disconnecting the sway bar end links and a long pry bar after removing the shocks. Try that first before disconnecting the track bar. Also, when you go to full bump with the axle, remove the upper jounce bumpers so that the upper steel cup makes contact with the lower spring perch pad. The jounce will compress, so we don't count it for bump stops.

good add. I forgot to mention the sway bar because mine is already disconnected.

Reactions: bobthetj03