Mechanics Creeper

I like this one. It’s served me well working on big trucks. It’s wide and the head raises up which helps my jacked up neck. It’s really wide too so the wheels won’t pinch you. I’m sure a paid a million dollars for it when I bought it but , Ive had it a long time.

C5A6A1CE-E250-47C5-8B57-94CBA3CC7044.jpeg

52ED0679-0043-4DA6-9FF2-473BF3C867E3.jpeg

Reactions: John Cooper and JMT
I have the same one. My casters didn't break out of the plastic, but the wheels got tweaked enough to let the little balls out of the bearing and eventually the two middle wheels both separated from the plate. I think I bought it in 2019 or 2020. I'm not 100% opposed to getting another one (I also enjoy the trays) but I'm curious if there's something better out there before I buy. I'm somewhat willing to give it the benefit of the doubt because the house I was in for the first year I owned it had a really aged and rough floor surface so there was a lot more drag on the wheels, and I used it as an axle dolly for a fully assembled 44 on that floor. That's when the little bearing balls started showing up in the floor every now and then.

I did find this one, also at HF and about the same price, I kinda like the idea of the adjustable head support, but it lacks the trays, and being steel is a few pounds heavier. https://www.harborfreight.com/autom...y-creeper-with-adjustable-headrest-63311.html

It sucks too. Casters come loose all the time and strip out the threads holding them in so the casters flop around everywhere and prohibit movement. Plus the middle casters will catch your shirt and bind up.

Last edited:
It sucks too. Casters come loose all the time and strip out the threads holding them in so the casters flop around everywhere and prohibit movement.

Bummer. That was the same problem I had with the creeper before the plastic HF one. Have you tried anything like loctite on the threads? I thought about that after the fact but by that point the threads were already gone and the plastic one was on sale.

It sucks too. Casters come loose all the time and strip out the threads holding them in so the casters flop around everywhere and prohibit movement. Plus the middle casters will catch your shirt and bind up.

I’m thinking we could strengthen the caster mounts on the bottom of the cheap Pittsburgh. That plate is so small, just weld some larger plates on them and add some loctite to the threads and might be G2G. Not worth it if buying one new, but if you already have one or one like it.

Last edited:
That 4 inches it adds to your lying height kills it for me.

My current one (below) is a cheap made, 2.5” lay down deck height, wheel losing, no tool holding, wheel sticking, shirt grabbing, Chineseum, muffin top pinching piece of crap. This one (Creepex Fastback) will fit under everything I work on but that is a factor for most, the low slung 4 wheeled ones are a good option because there are no middle wheels to spin around and pinch you.

299427B9-F39B-437A-A1C9-FF8A27B311F9.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: JMT and Apparition
With the caveat that I don't do anything as nearly complicated as most of you, the below one I got from a local garage sale works well for me for the few times I had to get under the Jeep. I think I paid $25.

(Click to enlarge)

PXL_20221105_171313434.jpg

Reactions: JMT and DrDmoney