Mechanics Creeper

It was too hard for me.😂

I love that it has three wheels rather than 4 or 6. That enables it to turn much better. The 2 big wheels are a big plus. Did you opt for the one with the magnetic center wheel casters? That would mean I don’t have to run into extraneous bolts all over the ground!

Reactions: DrDmoney
With the caveat that I don't do anything as nearly complicated as most of you, the below one I got from a local garage sale works well for me for the few times I had to get under the Jeep. I think I paid $25.

(Click to enlarge)

View attachment 373765

I’ve had one of those and they work good up to about 50 Thanksgivings (under your belt) once the caster style wheels splay out (usually the middle ones) they don’t move around so good.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: JMT and psrivats
I love that it has three wheels rather than 4 or 6. That enables it to turn much better. The 2 big wheels are a big plus. Did you opt for the one with the magnetic center wheel casters? That would mean I don’t have to run into extraneous bolts all over the ground!

Yes I did but the lights were the reason I went that route 😉 It’s a bit much for a creeper but still cheaper than a lift

Reactions: JMT
With the caveat that I don't do anything as nearly complicated as most of you, the below one I got from a local garage sale works well for me for the few times I had to get under the Jeep. I think I paid $25.

(Click to enlarge)

View attachment 373765

That looks just like the harbor freight one that I have, except the HF one is gray

To tide me over I found a Creeper on FB. At $15 and a name like Jeepers Creeper I couldn't pass it up. It also looked older, so I assumed that if it had stood up this long it is probably a solid creeper. I cleaned up the wheels/bearings and it rolls much, much better. I don’t know what the threaded inserts are for. They are factory manufactured.

AD21B4E5-DF9B-421F-B5F2-10983FA42214.jpeg

9100E6E4-F1F6-4081-B461-222E4BC88C4F.jpeg

A35119E9-F4D3-4C35-9362-07CBB9C6E81A.jpeg

BF8B88C7-5664-4063-BF89-B9028F64AD58.jpeg

I have one made by Mac Tools like that, it is probably 25 years old and has served me well. I have replaced the casters on it at least once, the only issue I have with it is it will drag on a BB on the floor.:)

Reactions: JMT
I’ve had this one for 5 years and like it really well. Comfortable and rolls super easy. It can be a pain if you drop small items in those grooves, but luckily I’ve only done that a couple times.

http://www.bonecreeper.com/bonester.html

View attachment 373505

I have used one of these for years and would buy it again. I appreciate the fact that it is a high quality American made product that sources ALL components from wheels, to stickers, to the bed of the creeper from American manufacturers.

Yeah, a brake for when you’re torquing stuff down would be useful. 🤔

I’ve got this Traxion Dynamics King Crawler. The brake is handy. Although, the vinyl on it is super slick, so when I’m putting some real force behind something, I’m pushing myself off of the creeper. But the wheels roll over concrete expansion joints in the driveway pretty good.

I never had good luck with creepers, running over cords and fingers, wheel dropping into expansion cracks, tools getting lost underneath them, not enough ground clearance etc. etc. So for the past 30 years I have used cardboard and carpeting. They now make "creepers" that are just a roll of soft rubber that supposedly scoot along but I haven't tried one. A roll of carpet or, in my case, I have huge pieces of carpet in my garage that I just park the whole vehicle on. Keeps the floor clean from spills too. In the construction trade we are always able to find new or slightly used carpet that is getting removed.
I also have a set of interlocking workout mats that work great too.
The cardboard is great too because you can easily slide on it, and it protects your floor.

I never had good luck with creepers, running over cords and fingers, wheel dropping into expansion cracks, tools getting lost underneath them, not enough ground clearance etc. etc. So for the past 30 years I have used cardboard and carpeting. They now make "creepers" that are just a roll of soft rubber that supposedly scoot along but I haven't tried one. A roll of carpet or, in my case, I have huge pieces of carpet in my garage that I just park the whole vehicle on. Keeps the floor clean from spills too. In the construction trade we are always able to find new or slightly used carpet that is getting removed.
I also have a set of interlocking workout mats that work great too.
The cardboard is great too because you can easily slide on it, and it protects your floor.

I get the cords, cracks, tools, parts...I've gotten stopped by tiny pebbles and I've even run over my own hair, but I can't think of any time I've ever run my creeper over a finger.

I get the cords, cracks, tools, parts...I've gotten stopped by tiny pebbles and I've even run over my own hair, but I can't think of any time I've ever run my creeper over a finger.

Maybe that didn't happen, but it might have, I just don't remember everything probably due to Budweiser first then old age.

• Haha
Reactions: freedom_in_4low
Maybe that didn't happen, but it might have, I just don't remember everything probably due to Budweiser first then old age.

i can certainly imagine myself doing it while angrily trying to do something awkward down there, late at night after several hours of working. But I also know it would hurt enough that I would remember it. :ROFLMAO:

If I had a regular supply of carpet scraps I could see doing it your way, but based on how dirty my garage floor can get, I'm certain I'd be filthy every time I got on that carpet.