Metalcloak fenders for increased suspension travel?

Eddie Greenlee

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
So with a 4” suspension lift and 1.25” body lift and running 35” tires. The only way to get more range out of my travel is to maybe get some Metalcloak arch fenders. And that way I can reduce bump stops and get more articulation. What do y’all think ?

If you do a search, you will find that the general consensus is that you dont gain anything with those, but you may look at the AEV highline...which is no longer in production, but it will give you some ideas.

If you do a search, you will find that the general consensus is that you dont gain anything with those, but you may look at the AEV highline...which is no longer in production, but it will give you some ideas.
Doesn’t it get rid of that welded seem under the fender? From what I have seen on YouTube they say about 2” more clearance than the rom fender.

Once you cycle the suspension, Metalcloak fenders will only get you about an inch of overall clearance. Add a body lift first. Much less money for the same gain.

If you want actual fender clearence, then you need to cut the hood and also move the rear wall of the wheel opening backwards.

Reactions: Eddie Greenlee
Once you cycle the suspension, Metalcloak fenders will only get you about an inch of overall clearance. Add a body lift first. Much less money for the same gain.

If you want actual fender clearence, then you need to cut the hood and also move the rear wall of the wheel opening backwards.
The OP already has a 1.25” BL with his 4” SL. I think he is trying to get more travel. He could get more with MC, but not nearly as much as a Highline.

Reactions: DrDmoney and jjvw

I already have a 1.25” body lift.
The OP already has a 1.25” BL with his 4” SL. RI think he is trying to get more travel. He could get more with MC, but not nearly as much as a Highline.
ill go look up those high line fenders

The Metalcloak fenders are next to worthless IMHO from a "gaining more travel" standpoint.

You'll need some true highline fenders for that (i.e. GenRight).

Reactions: Eddie Greenlee
The Metalcloak fenders are next to worthless IMHO from a "gaining more travel" standpoint.

You'll need some true highline fenders for that (i.e. GenRight).
While looking at them side by side i just don't see a difference between them?

Why is the metalcloak bad and the genright good? Build quality?

Does someone have hard proof?

As far a travel you are limited by your shocks.

Metalcloak=no hood cut=very little gained clearance

Genright=highline=chopped hood=actual gained travel

Doesn’t it get rid of that welded seem under the fender? From what I have seen on YouTube they say about 2” more clearance than the rom fender.
Is it that KyleSVT guy? I've seen a few of his videos. It boggles my mind as to why he is running 35s on a stock suspension "because mc fenders return all the lost up travel"... He has no idea what he is talking about. Don't listen to him.

Reactions: Tjrubicon and jjvw

@toximus has hard proof, yes. He has a thread with photos and everything.

You're not looking hard enough.

GenRight makes TWO versions, a regular version and a highline version. The highline version involves cutting your hood significantly and installing their new inner fenders, as well as a lot of moving things around in the engine bay.

The Metalcloak ones do not do this, they just replace your stock fenders.

The GenRight highline fenders provide a substantial amount of clearance over stock, because they are actual highline fenders.

Also, no one said Metalcloak is bad and GenRight is good, but if you're looking for more tire clearance, the Metalcloak fenders aren't going to give you much compared to a real highline fender.

Last edited:
Reactions: JMT
@toximus made an interesting thread recently that showed the differences. @Alex01 also recently set up his bumps to take full advantage of his MC fenders. None of what is shown comes close to the marketing.

The difference between MC and a true highline is the hood. Yes, shocks determine the suspension travel, but the shock don't prevent someone from adding a larger tire than they maybe ought to for a particular setup. Additionally, shock mounts can be moved to where they are no longer a limiting factor in the suspension travel.

@toximus made an interesting thread recently that showed the differences. @Alex01 also recently set up his bumps to take full advantage of his MC fenders. None of what is shown comes close to the marketing.

The difference between MC and a true highline is the hood. Yes, shocks determine the suspension travel, but the shock don't prevent someone from adding a larger tire than they maybe ought to for a particular setup. Additionally, shock mounts can be moved to where they are no longer a limiting factor in the suspension travel.
Hey. They work great..... As long as you don't turn the tires :p

@Chris the issue I ran into was the tire hitting the inner fender around where the battery tray is.

Reactions: Chris