MetalClock 3.5 inch actual lift height?

Frdbronco8

Anyone running metalcloak 3.5 coils and can anyone tell me the actual lift height they got with a 4.0 and maybe a winch out front?

I have 2" bds coils (about 2.5" actual lift) and 3/4 spacers now. Fronts become unseated at full droop. The MC springs would have more unsprung length but I dont want to go much higher on lift if I can help it. A true 3.5 would work but no more.
20190614_204432.jpg

Thanks

Are your springs too short or are your shocks too long?

There is no true 3.5" spring unless your Jeep weighs exactly the same as whatever Jeep Metalcloak designed their springs around.

Another option is that Savvy sells 3 inch coils (made/procured by Currie) that also have a very long free length:
https://savvyoffroad.com/product/ce-9133s/They’re not dual rate, but instead just a single softer rate, which gives them a less harsh ride, additional flexibility, and long unloaded length. The trade off is that they will sag more with extra load. But I believe they’re supposed to be 3” with an “average” off road Jeep with some light armor, winch, bumpers, etc

Are your springs too short or are your shocks too long?

There is no true 3.5" spring unless your Jeep weighs exactly the same as whatever Jeep Metalcloak designed their springs around.

Thanks for the info on the currie springs, I'll have to check into those.

I set up my shock length perfectly so that the bumpstop cup hits just before the shock bottoms out. I'd like to take advantage of the droop I have.

Thanks for the info on the currie springs, I'll have to check into those.

I set up my shock length perfectly so that the bumpstop cup hits just before the shock bottoms out. I'd like to take advantage of the droop I have.
They have a 3” and a 4” version of those springs. For the rear they also have 4” + 0.5” springs for LJs or TJs with heavy rear ends.

I got the 4” springs with the LJ rear springs for my TJ and sit with just a marginal amount of rake, which I prefer. It takes a lot of droop to unseat the 4” coils, probably more than even a 12” shock set up for 6” up/6” down could provide.

Compare the free length of the springs to the Metalcloak ones to see which ones will unseat first. You may have to look up the part numbers on Currie’s website (not Savvy) to get the numbers

Reactions: Frdbronco8
I didnt understand or like the answers when I asked a similar question about springs. Once I really read into springs and spring rates I understood what everyone was trying to tell me. There are too many variables to specify exact lift from a given spring. It’s all about how much your rig weighs vs the spring rate of the spring. I have heard of the MC springs settling fast and needing spacers to keep at specified heights.
Just installed a MC 3.5 on the BIL tj 4cyl. It produced right at 3.5. But he has a lot of crap in his rig.

The bumps might be set correctly for the shocks. But that doesn't mean the shocks are the optimal length.

I like
The bumps might be set correctly for the shocks. But that doesn't mean the shocks are the optimal length.

I am happy with the length of the shock, I set the bumps for my tire size and got a shock that would match up with that for up travel and allow the most down travel I could have for my short arms.

Reactions: Tim_with_the_tj
I like

I am happy with the length of the shock, I set the bumps for my tire size and got a shock that would match up with that for up travel and allow the most down travel I could have for my short arms.

What size tire?

You might consider going to 4" springs, if you can afford to do the necessary mods, like the CV driveshaft and adjustable control arms. Not only will it allow flex, it will allow you to absorb bumps in the road with much less drama especially when driving fast on rough terrain. Ideally you have 50% up/down. A few here will even go to 60/40% up/down for control.
Uptravel gives you a much bigger advantage than downtravel. That's why you see people here chopping off the shock towers and welding in taller ones.

Reactions: Frdbronco8 and jjvw