Mickey Thompson MTZ & Cooper ST Maxx, MT EXP

NOTNSUV

NOW I Know!
Supporting Member
Mickey Thompson MTZ & Cooper ST Maxx

Looks like these might be similar performance wise.
If I remember someone here just went from ST Maxx to MTZ (@jvvw) so looking for real world comparison or are they not even close?
Not sure I want a full blow mud tire (KM3 or ST Pro) and running Cooper Evolution on one of the Jeeps for what I hope to be better street snow performance over the Pro. Have yet to have them in mud.
Rocks are not a huge concern except my possible one trip to Moab eventually and I'm mostly on BLM/USFS trails.

The Evos are always a consideration but wouldn't mind trying something else.

I know it's one of those questions.

If I remember someone here just went from ST Maxx to MTZ (@jvvw) so looking for real world comparison or are they not even close?
Not sure I want a full blow mud tire (KM3 or ST Pro) and running Cooper Evolution on one of the Jeeps for what I hope to be better street snow performance over the Pro. Have yet to have them in mud.
Rocks are not a huge concern except my possible one trip to Moab eventually and I'm mostly on BLM/USFS trails.

The Evos are always a consideration but wouldn't mind trying something else.

I know it's one of those questions.

I have the KM3. I think they handle pavement very well for a mud tire.

I ran a set of Cooper ST/Maxx for 40,000 miles on a Nissan Xterra used for overlanding and mild offroading. I had zero complaints about those tires, on or off road, and switched to Cooper Discoverer AT3's on the Xterra only because I wanted to try something different before I sold that vehicle. [BTW - the Cooper Discoverer AT3 is an excellent all-purpose AT tire.]

I currently have a set of Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ P3's on my LJ, which have been replaced in the Mickey Thompson lineup with the very similar Baja Boss A/T. I would buy Mickey Thompson tires again.

Another tire to consider is the Cooper Discoverer STT Pro if you are looking for something more aggressive than the ST/Maxx.

Wasn't me. I had Cooper ST Maxxes which are just ok, but there is nothing wrong about them. They are comparable to the GY Duratrac.

Reactions: NOTNSUV
I ran a set of Cooper ST/Maxx for 40,000 miles on a Nissan Xterra used for overlanding and mild offroading. I had zero complaints about those tires, on or off road, and switched to Cooper Discoverer AT3's on the Xterra only because I wanted to try something different before I sold that vehicle. [BTW - the Cooper Discoverer AT3 is an excellent all-purpose AT tire.]

I currently have a set of Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ P3's on my LJ, which have been replaced in the Mickey Thompson lineup with the very similar Baja Boss A/T. I would buy Mickey Thompson tires again.

Another tire to consider is the Cooper Discoverer STT Pro if you are looking for something more aggressive than the ST/Maxx.

Looking for something between Pro, all out MT and an AT. Neither KO or KM appeal to me

I have the MT Baja legend and really like them. Only 1k miles but quiet.

I have about 3500 on mine in a 35-12.5r15 they are surprisingly quiet so far but they will probably get a little louder as they wear. With my hard top i couldnt even hear them. Soft top i can a little.

Looking for something between Pro, all out MT and an AT. Neither KO or KM appeal to me

The ST/Maxx is a decent all-around "aggressive AT" tire. It is actually marketed as a commercial traction tire. They worked well at Moab, and never let me down in Baja and on overlanding trails in NorCal and Nevada, but there are better choices if what you need is a true rock crawling tire.

You might want to try an alignment. Mine are always quiet and I've had them on several Jeeps. I have 25,000 miles on my current ones and they are far quieter than my wife while driving down the road. :confused:

But which one rid... er.. drives better?? :cool: :cool:

I have 35” Cooper Evolutions . I’ve been real happy with them on the road and trails (not my daily driver) . They clear mud pretty fast . That’s important where I wheel .

Mickey Thompson MTZ & Cooper ST Maxx I know it's one of those questions.

I have run a set of The Cooper ST Maxx on my Jeep for about 25000 miles now. I am very happy with them. I do play in the rocks they are ok there, I also do a lot of exploring in remote locations. They do well on the highway and are not noisy. The tires are wearing evenly in spite of me driving 75 highway mile towing it behind my motor home with the steering wheel turned and locked (my fault) the fronts got chopped a bit so I moved them to the rear and the wear evened out. The only complaint I could say is mine take some weight to balance the 35”x12.5x15. I am starting to look at replacement tires and have looked at the M/T’s I like the design of them but think they may be noisy on the highway. I know a lot of people like and use the BFG’s but I have seen a lot of them with the outer treads with cupping wear that becomes noisy.

Last edited: