Midnight LJR Build

Started getting a lot of burbling and bubbling sounds when the Jeep got warm the other day. I believe I am getting some air in the cooling system. Decided to start simple and install a new radiator cap and see if that’s fixes it.

image.jpg

How is that done?
It uses pressure to test for leaks. Install the tester on the neck of the radiator in place of the cap, in this case, or the coolant reservoir(i have yet to try that, but it would test the cap), and pump until you reach the pressure marked on the radiator cap. Think bicycle pump. Check around the engine, hoses, hose clamps, thermostat housing and it’s mating surfaces, radiator, radiator plastic tanks, for leaks, little bubbles, or air escaping indicating a leak. You can check inside on the passenger floor area and under/behind the dash area for heater core leaks.

Reactions: Midnight LJR
Purely anecdotal evidence... but.. Mine gurgled like crazy after shut down... couldn't find the source of the air or leak for several summers... when the radiator started leaking noticeably this spring I did a full cooling system redo (radiator, hoses, pump, thermostat...etc) and the gurgling stopped.

You might check your reservoir too. When my radiator was going, I noticed it burbling...and the recovery / overflow was low. I put some water in, and that took care of it. Of course, if the level is low...you know you have something else going on.

Mine has been doing this lately too. Sounds like someone is taking bong rips from my radiator. Only after long-ish rides. Might be time for a new radiator.

That radiator looks a little older. Since you still have the belt sticker it could be original. They seem to last around 10-15 years. Mine had a hair line crack on the top plastic. If you need to replace go with an OE Mopar unit.

Reactions: Midnight LJR
Mine has been doing this lately too. Sounds like someone is taking bong rips from my radiator. Only after long-ish rides. Might be time for a new radiator.
Try a new cap first. Or, do it like everyone else does. Hey, my valve stem is leaking, time for a new set of tires.

Reactions: BuildBreakRepeat